Your go to Survival kit

Your go to Survival kit

This is a discussion on Your go to Survival kit within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys, I dont think we ever covered this but here it goes. I am in the process of starting to make a go to ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your go to Survival kit

Hey guys, I dont think we ever covered this but here it goes. I am in the process of starting to make a go to survival kit that will be kept in the car or around with me on the boat and just brought with me in general camping and what now. It would be all in a nice storm waterproof case.

Here is what i have so far for it,

tendergy t60 tactical with 10 extra batteries, First aid kit, compass, flint steel, mil spec fire starters, gerber 6 inch knife, space blanket, cup/bowl combo. Water purifier.

Ok well iam running out of ideas and fiqured i would see what you guys think and what ideas you guys have around.

feel free to tell me what you think and add things.

thanks

stephen

What about some of those 6 hour heat packs like the sell at wallmart?
    #2 Infidel
    Jeff Dorr...Gone but not forgotten

Next builds:
    "Black and scary assault sniper rifle"
    "machine sniper pistols that spray bullets from clips"...Thanks CNN,NBC & CBS

hey

that could work, ill take that into consideration.

thanks a lot

stephen

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

MREs would be nice. Something to fish with.A book on wild edible vegitation, for those who weren't raised in the country. GPS, if you can afford it. Binos. Extra socks. Extra shirt.Soap.

Oh yeah. Winnebago motorhome. Dish Network subscription.

Jeff

Re: Your go to Survival kit

Quote Originally Posted by laxratnd
    Here is what i have so far for it,

tendergy t60 tactical with 10 extra batteries, First aid kit, compass, flint steel, mil spec fire starters, gerber 6 inch knife, space blanket, cup/bowl combo. Water purifier.

Ok well iam running out of ideas and fiqured i would see what you guys think and what ideas you guys have around.
    Depending on space, here is what i would add.
    1. Actual water (going and finding water maybe a too much if your injured etc)
    2. Mainstay food bar (just 1 if space is short, 3 or 4 if you have room)
    3. headlamp (i find these more usefull than handheld torches most of the time even if not as bright)
    4. solar battery charger (can be picked up for $20). try and get everything that runs on batteries to run on batteries that can be charged by the charger (getting everything to run on aa/aaa is probably the easiest). I have one of these: http://www.todae.com.au/Products/portab ... erycharger
    5. Tarp/blanket (something that can create shade if its hot, or keep you warm if its not. Emergency thermal blanket is no good for this)
    6. UHF radio (or 2)
    7. depending on laws in your area, .22 pistol with 50+ rounds of ammo
    8. plastic bag and rubber band (can be used to collect water from trees etc, lots of other uses)
    9. leatherman/swissarmy knife/gerber tool.
    10. Gaffa/Duct/100mile an hour tape
    11. 550 paracord
    12. good old cheap BIC cigarette lighter/waterproof matches (reliable enough, less work than frigging around with flint and steel)
    13. whistle
    14. leather gloves
    15. compass
    16. hacksaw blade

Theres probably a whole bunch of stuff i missed. But anywho, theres some stuff at least.

Regards,
    Kipper

hey

Thanks guys, Yeah i totally forgot all those things, Might as well take my whole house then, haha, I have most of these items already laying around. even have the gps sitting around.

Ill see what i can figure up and show you guys eventually.

stephen

this is my department. I can go on for days about survival kit and currently have 3 "go" bags, one is heavily combat based, one is light and one is heavy. You can build up a good kit starting with surplus stuff on ebay for dirt cheap. used sog leatherman and gerber multitools... if you're looking for good budget survival knives I love the gerber prodigy. I spent maybe 35 dollars on it. the blade is really thick but the knife isn't overly heavy. i can abuse it and not feel bad, and it cleans up really nice. your 5.25 inch kabars are a good 30 dollar survival knife too. I have literally books of notes on teh topic and the ultimate kit etc. I've got mountainsmith, mountain hardwear, alice and molle packs, osprey, north face, kelty and eberlestock bags. they all have their ups and downs, feel free to PM me if you have questions on any. I have knives from kabar, gerber, martin, sog, cold steel, buck, TOPS, emerson, microtech... the list goes on and on. basically you need to tailor your survival kit to you, tools you can easily maintain and use proficiently. if you want to have a discussion about it PM me and I'll set you up with my email or MSN info, I've got a pretty sizable library of resources as well.
    Proud owner:
    1934 matching K-31
    .308 Savage Tactical
    .270 Remington 700 Sendero
    Remington 510 Targetmaster .22
    Parker Hale 1200 Super 7mm Rem Mag

I haven't seen any mention of a method to sharpen your knife yet. Remember, a dull knife is more dangerous to you than a sharp one. Depending on how long you plan on having to survive, you'll definitely want to be able to sharpen your knife. The small daimond stones are perfect for this.
    Jon

here's some ideas.

waterproof everything, outside of your bag with a rain cover and inside with ziploc bags-pack extra for leftover meat, gathered plants etc.
    rain cover- waterproof your gear or carry water in it. make yourself a nice bushrag over it for easy camoflage.
    ruck-it's like a handgun or rifle, there's no right or wrong one, it's what makes you most comfortable and keeps your gear safe and dry.
    camo netting-fish traps, ghillie suits etc
    Tent/Bivy/hammock-keep you and your gear out of the elements. eureka, kelty and north face make great 1-2 man tents around 100 dollars or less and don't add much bulk/weight if you shop right. I personally use a TNF Rock 22 and bring the footprint-you can do 200 things with it. make another tent, hammock, tepee to smoke meat, etc.
    roll of ducktape-self explanatory. My go to sleeping bag is a slumberjack, costed me 30 dollars, weighs 2 pounds and is good to 0F.
    roll of surplus tripline-2 nails and dozens of feet of wire in a tiny little package. use for traps/snares.
    couple hundred feet of 550 chord-sewing/mending, tying, etc.
    petroleum jelly-instantly lights at the smallest of sparks and burns long enough to build. also helps with dry skin/sunburn.
    swedish flint- makes a shower of sparks and supplies magnesium powder for kindling. in combo with the petroleum jelly starts fires without a hitch.
    metal cup/canteen/pot/skillet for boiling water, grilling, making soup, etc.
    Hydration bags-My eberle phantom carries 12l of water in bags alone.
    Ketadyn filtered bottle-filter in a small useable package. good to a few hundred gallons, not the most expedient way to filter large amounts of water but great for personal use. I personally don't like using tabs, they mess up my digestive system too much to function at the level i need to.
    Tomahawk-perfect utility tool for hammering/chopping/prying and defensive weapon. I had some guy in ohio size and hand forge mine custom but there's a couple of great companies out there (RMJ, American, TOPS, etc)
    Knives/sharpener-the knives you carry are up to you. I carry 5 or 6 cutting edges in my survival kit, a tool file and 1200 grit smith's stone for fine sharpening. small and effective tool maintenance. You can't carry enough dependable cutting edges.
    SAS saw or folding saw
    surefire G2 flashlight, cheap, beatable, long life, effective, and can start fires even after the bulb burns out. replacement surefire batteries/bulb.
    machete-another cutting edge, good for clearing brush, chopping, digging, processing meat, etc.
    large yarn needles-sewing with 550 chord. mend clothes/tent/shoes etc
    collapsable fishing pole and pocket fishing kit-you can find/make your bait but plastic jigs don't take up much space. you can use fishing line for fishing, sewing or even snares.
    moleskin, medical tape, ace bandage, antivenom shot, benedril, triple antibiotic ointment, pain relievers, bandaids, sunscreen and chapstick
    boonie hat-protect your eyes and skin from the sun/elements
    paraffin wax candles- paraffin will waterproof anything especially strike anywhere matches, mobile source of light and fire.
    waterproof tin-store kindling for fires on the move. dry burning material is priceless when available and usually it's not.
    map and compass-commenga military issue tritanium compass is perfect. extremely durable, waterproof, usable at night or under water.
    weatherproof notebook and pencils-making maps of your area, taking notes/directions, dope data, keeping a calander, etc.
    again i can go on and in more detail, these are just ideas.

nifty part about Eberle bags is their gun carrying systems. my Phantom is set up with the detachable drag bag and two side scabbards, so at any given time i can be carrying 3 different long guns safely padded and waterproofed. a 15 dollar walmart multi-caliber maintenance kit, ammunition and you're good to go. shooting mat comes in handy, waterproof material for shelter from rain, non-mud working surface or blanket. Yes, guns are a liability of sorts-they need ammo, maintenance, weatherproof storage, etc-but if you pick your gun and your kit you can minimize it all to a very small and effective package for self defense and food procurement. I weighed my phantom kit at 63 pounds without firearms, and my .22, mossberg 500 and Ruger Frontier .243 with ammo and cleaning kit brings it to 85. My bag will run out of space before I go over what my back, legs and the bag can carry. and Eberle makes bigger ones ^^
    Proud owner:
    1934 matching K-31
    .308 Savage Tactical
    .270 Remington 700 Sendero
    Remington 510 Targetmaster .22
    Parker Hale 1200 Super 7mm Rem Mag

hey

Deathstick, thanks for your offer, i will deffintily take you up on that offer, i always like learning new things.

yes multi tools are great, I currently have a leatherman wave and it is a very handy tool.

The flashlights i pick are all fully adjustment in different intensity of lighting. Which is nice so when you need the bright light you can have it and when you want to conserve energy you can.

The problem i think with running flashlights off of regular batteries is that then you have to worry about to make sure they are always good. with the lithiums and there 10 year shelf life just makes me feel a little more at ease. And like someone stated before that they would want them to be able to recharge from solar, well recharables do not hold there juice very long, so over time you will loose the charge and if you need them they may not work.
    You can can many hours out of lithium batteries using a 6 lumenus flashlight.

Forty,

on the sheath to my gerber knife, it has a sharpener on it. So there goes your question on the sharp knife area.

Ive done my fair share of camping backpacking, hiking, boating and what not throughout my years. You always learn different ways to setup your packs and what to put in. I find that you can almost never get them fully perfect.

I figured i could build a light setup just for the car and boat, then setup something heavy to keep at home. Seeing what things i can come up with.

Theres gadgets and then there are usual gadgets.

thanks again

stephen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads