My neighbor is trying to have my range shut down.

This is a discussion on My neighbor is trying to have my range shut down. within the Off Topic forums, part of the Sniping Related category; As the title of this thread states, my neighbor is trying to have my personal range shut down. In the area I live it is ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

As the title of this thread states, my neighbor is trying to have my personal range shut down. In the area I live it is legal to shoot most anything by township law as long as its not close to the road houses etc. the common sense stuff. I GPSed all homes in the area and used a natural 150 ft. high berm that has no home within 600yards. I then set up A-500 steel back stops and covered the front of the stops with wooden ammo boxes full of oak pallet planks and set up the range for 80yrds in a field surrounded by woods so it cant be seen and the trees muffle the sound. I even went so far as to never shoot before noon and never shoot past 7:00 p.m. per my neighbors wishes. I only have 2 "big" shoots per year, Memorial Day and 1 month before deer hunting to sight in and I never have more that 5 people shooting more than 20 rds each in a 1 hour sitting forsighting in. The only persons other than myself and my family that shoot are active service (military) members and a few close friends but they shoot mostly .22's for practice and all neighbors are invited. My last session was 20 rds. over a 4 hour period and thats the way I always shoot. My range see's maybe 1000 to 1500 rounds per year, 70% .22 cal, 25% pistol cal, 5% rifle cal (mostly .308 & some 30-06). Now my neighbor has gone to the township commitee and claimed my range to be unnessisary, obnoxious, dangerous, rude, and a bain to the community(farms 10 acres or more his is the smallest at 4.8 acres). Mind you, I make no money for fees, no one helps with upkeep, it is open to the neighbors and all on my private property. Any one have thoughts on how to handle this at the next commitee meeting in 2 days? I only have till 5:30pm thursday to find solutions. P.S. My neighbor is the perfect liberal, teacher, democrat, conservationist that cut down Wisconsins largest/oldest white oak tree to build his garage, gun owner that believes guns should only be fired at a gun club, but fires his into the woods from his garage less than 100 yards from my house, and still believes I should trade him my 2 acres of woods behind his house for his 1/2 acre of lawn containing an old leech bed thats in front of my property.
    "...the states cannot, even laying the constitutional provision in question out of view, prohibit the people from keeping and bearing arms..." U.S. Supreme Court, 1886

He sounds like a total dick to me!

More than words can express. Any ideas? Legal ones.
    "...the states cannot, even laying the constitutional provision in question out of view, prohibit the people from keeping and bearing arms..." U.S. Supreme Court, 1886

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You don't need legal advice. If it's legal to shoot on your property, there isn't squat he can do about it except complain. I'd go to the council meeting just for a good laugh. I'm sure you're not the only guy in town who shoots on his land, so having the law changed would make him the least popular guy in town...And as any country resident knows, that just ain't a good thing if you know what I mean. :wink:

I'd also quietly tell him that if he continues to cause you trouble, that you'll make sure to video tape his every move and turn him in for the most minor of offenses--including and most especially shooting from his own property.

If he wants to play the Neighborhood Nazi, that's fine...Show him what it's like to live in the Nazi Society.

Good call Recoil, I like the sound of it. I just went into damage control mode and want to make sure I don't lose my range rights. If there are any more suggestions let them fly I want to be ready for anything come Thursday night. Also, I've decided to expand my range to 100 yards if all goes well. If he sways the opinion on rifle shooting but not shotgun, I'm entertaining the thought of a 40 weekend sporting clay match, 5 teams of 5 should keep his ears full of cotton.

Some people have nothin better to do except complain.I can see if you were bump firing ak-47s at 3:00 in the morning but you were being very professional by the way you shot at your range.Dont worry I dont think you will have a problem. If its legal to shoot on your land then I wouldnt miss any sleep over your loser neighbor.

I have a suggestion: go out an invite some of the local police to have a shoot at your range at some convienent weekend at some convienent time. When your neighbor calls the 'cops' they will already be there, and have already scoped out the place; and having a good time, will not be very amused at your neighbors complaints.

Thanks, he is a complainer, I'm hoping you guys are right.

Re: My neighbor is trying to have my range shut down.

<details snipped>

I had the same issue with one of my neighbors. Each State has specific laws about how a range grandfathers. Tell me your state and I can probably google yours. Here are mine:

Georgia Statute 41-1-9
    41-1-9.
    (a) As used in this Code section, the term:
    (1) 'Person' means an individual, proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or unincorporated association.
    (2) 'Sport shooting range' or 'range' means an area designated and operated by a person for the sport shooting of firearms and not available for such use by the general public without payment of a fee, membership contribution, or dues or by invitation of an authorized person, or any area so designated and operated by a unit of government, regardless of the terms of admission thereto.
    (3) 'Unit of government' means any of the departments, agencies, authorities, or political subdivisions of the state, cities, municipal corporations, townships, or villages and any of their respective departments, agencies, or authorities.
    (b) No sport shooting range shall be or shall become a nuisance, either public or private, solely as a result of changed conditions in or around the locality of such range if the range has been in operation for one year since the date on which it commenced operation as a sport shooting range. Subsequent physical expansion of the range or expansion of the types of firearms in use at the range shall not establish a new date of commencement of operations for purposes of this Code section.
    (c) No sport shooting range or unit of government or person owning, operating, or using a sport shooting range for the sport shooting of firearms shall be subject to any action for civil or criminal liability, damages, abatement, or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to noise generated by the operation of the range if the range remains in compliance with noise control or nuisance abatement rules, regulations, statutes, or ordinances applicable to the range on the date on which it commenced operation.
    (d) No rules, regulations, statutes, or ordinances relating to noise control, noise pollution, or noise abatement adopted or enacted by a unit of government shall be applied retroactively to prohibit conduct at a sport shooting range, which conduct was lawful and being engaged in prior to the adoption or enactment of such rules, regulations, statutes, or ordinances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario e
    Good call Recoil, I like the sound of it. I just went into damage control mode and want to make sure I don't lose my range rights. If there are any more suggestions let them fly I want to be ready for anything come Thursday night. Also, I've decided to expand my range to 100 yards if all goes well. If he sways the opinion on rifle shooting but not shotgun, I'm entertaining the thought of a 40 weekend sporting clay match, 5 teams of 5 should keep his ears full of cotton.
    Recoil is right - don't let this idiot annoy you. FYI - when my neighbor (the one that I hate because he kicks my dogs to make my children cry) complained - I took my 1919A4 out there and ran belt after belt after belt. In fact, I never use my suppressors on my Class III stuff any more just to tweak him even further.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ads