Reason the Army switched from 1 piece to a 2 piece MK 4 base

This is a discussion on Reason the Army switched from 1 piece to a 2 piece MK 4 base within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; 1.) Wanted to know why the Army switched from the one piece Mk 4 base to the two piece base? 2.) Will the two piece ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1.) Wanted to know why the Army switched from the one piece Mk 4 base to the two piece base?

2.) Will the two piece base have problems going out to one thousand that a 20 MOA one piece base doesn't?

3.) And finally, what does the Army do to solve the problem of running out of adjustment without the 20 MOA base?

I will answer them my best on what i have read or have been told

1. A one piece base actually puts more pressure on the action, which in return effect accuracy. A gunsmith here (a very respectable one) did a test of how a 1 or 2 piece base effects the action when screwing on. I dont remember exactly how he explained it. but the 1 piece moved it around more than the 2 piece did. also a 2 piece base is lighter. and lighter makes it easier to carry.

2. you can get a 2 piece base with 20 moa, so no, going from a 2 piece base doesnt change anything of that sort. You can get 0 moa 15 moa 20 or 22 moa, and etc.

3. since you can get the 20 moa, there is no problem to deal with

Erik

Actions and bases are not usually made to the exact specifications of eachother, therefore unattended to they introduce stress in your system.

A one piece base puts stress on your action

A two piece base, once it has rings on it, and once the rings are tightened to a scope body also stresses the action. You have essentially made your two piece a one piece with your scope.

The Real Solution: As long as you bed your base or bases, and lap your rings there will be NO stress on the action or scope tube. Therefore no negative effect on accuracy. That is the only way to make sure that your optics and mounting system are not intruducing accuracy robbing stress into your rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I can't find 20 MOA Leupold Mark 4 bases anywhere...

See the link for NIGHTFORCE 20 MOA tapered steel bases. Click dealer locator on the left to find a dealer near you, or look up A.R. Tactical to get some shipped to you.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/RING...___mounts.html

Make sure to check out the thread onone piece vs. two pice bases and how to bed/ lap base/ rings! good info there.

I realize there are other two piece bases out there, but the M24 review on this website mentions that the Army changed to a two piece Leupold MK 4 base, which as far as I can tell don't come in a 20 MOA taper, hence the questions above.

MB

According to Leupold's website their MK4 bases are 20MOA

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/product ... al-mounts/

I cannot confirm this (but perhaps someone else can?)

Hey Brother,
    A two piece base allows greater access to the internal box magazine, for a weapon that loads through the ejection port.
    Respectfully,
    Harry
    It is better to live one day as a lion, then one hundred years as a sheep, Old Roman Proverb.
    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know, Author Unknown.

Sponsors
    MB is correct, all the Mk4 bases have 20 MOA now. The switch to two piece bases I think was more to allow easier access to the action & magazine area, but the comments about the stresses on the action are correct and it can have some affect.

MEL

MB

Quote Originally Posted by mele
    MB is correct, all the Mk4 bases have 20 MOA now. The switch to two piece bases I think was more to allow easier access to the action & magazine area, but the comments about the stresses on the action are correct and it can have some affect.

MEL
    Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads