Newbie needs Nightforce Optics help

This is a discussion on Newbie needs Nightforce Optics help within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; OK Guys, I am new to this site and would like to ask for your input (your knowledge and insight) to put the ultimate .308 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK Guys, I am new to this site and would like to ask for your input (your knowledge and insight) to put the ultimate .308 tactical package together.

I have a new Remington Model 700 XCR Compact Tactical in .308 cal sitting naked begging for an optics package.

My choice of scope is the Nightforce 3.5-15x50 or 56 NXS Tactical illuminated reticle. "My dilema is which reticle style to pick, base and rings (do rings come with the scope)". I like the Nightforce base but they make a few different types for the Model 700. Which base would I need to clear the 50mm and 56mm scope?

Please note that this package will be used at a 600 yrd target range, tactical purposes and for long range hunting of game (deer).

I look forward to your input.

First off, I'd go with the 50mm objective.

Reticle style is a very personal thing. I've got the NP-R2 in mine.
    What ever you decide on I recommend that you get it in MOA to match the turret adjustments. Others like the Mildot system and it'll work too.

Then get the Picatinny Mil. Std. 1913 base.

Might as well get the Nighforce rings too.

Or if you wanted to, you could get the Direct Mount, it's a one piece mount. That is, it's a combination of base and rings. You bolt it onto the rifle and mount the scope in the rings and you're done.
    Hidden Content

You can also get Nightforce adjustments in mils.

If you go MOA on the reticle. I like the MP R1 because it has 2 MOA hash marks on the horizontal line and 1 MOA marks on the vertical. More useful for holds. I used it and the NP R2 this past week at training up at Arco, ID with the 408 CheyTac. Liked the NP R1 a little better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Well, I was leaning to towards the NP-R1 in the 50mm objective lens but the 56mm objective lens will give better light gathering capabilities. Is there any reason not to get the 56mm other than the extra weight?

Now her's another dillema; which moa base should I choose, 20 or 40? :roll:

Thanks in advance for all the help

I didn't know you could get the Mil adjustments. As long as the adjustments match the reticle, I think you'll be happier. I know I am...

Get the 20 for a 308. In a perfect world that will get you a total of 70 MOA of adjustment.

I suggested the 50 because 1. size, 2. it's not going to get you enough more usable light to be worth the size.

If your eye can only use a total of 5mm of exit pupil, with the 50 you can use it up to 10X and have the 5mm. With the 56 you can go with 11X to get the 5mm. For the extra 6mm, I don't see it as enough gain. YMMV
    Hidden Content

OK, that's a good point.

Now, I have decided to go with the 50mm lens and the NF700SA120: NightForce Remington 700 One-Piece 20MOA - Short Action base.

The rings are available in the following heights:

.883" , 1.00" , 1.125" and 1.40"

Any idea which one will give the proper height for the 3-15X 50mm NXS scope?

I see that Nightforce list five ring heights: .885, 1.00, 1.125, 1.265 and 1.375.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/RINGS__ ... ounts.html

Anyway I have the 1.125 rings on my Remington XCR tactical in 308 with a 3.5-15 X 50 NXS (with NP-R1 reticle) and I have a little more height than I want (almost precisely a quarter inch clearance in the front) The .885 rings may make the scope touch. The one inch rings should do nicely but I'm also ok with my 1.125 inch rings.
    Hawk

Would you pick the 1" rings if you required clearance for flip-ups hawk? ... or stick with the 1.125's?

I have Butler Creeks caps on my scope and I still have .25 inch clearance. I would probably get the1.00 height rings if I were to do it again. The rings I have on the scope are good but I find in the prone position I have to crane my neck a little more than I want to.
    Hawk

Scopes don't "gather" light, they transmit it. I don't really think you'll gain much with a 56mm over a 50. You'll need a higher cheek-piece if you go that route.

I chose an NP-R2 for my first NF a few weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but there are clear advantages to having your reticle in moa as well as the knobs. It seems to me the 2 moa vertical marks are less cluttered and faster.

If you go with a 50mm, which you probably should, get 1.00" rings. The .885"s is awfully low. They will be fairly low and give you enough clearance you can use the same rings when you replace the barrel down the road. Why have to buy another set of $140 rings later? I've got approximately 1/4"-1/2" with my factory Remington barrel.

As far as Butler Creeks, I took S1's advice and didn't purchase a pair. When the scope showed up, I quickly realized the NF bikini cover is much much tighter and easier than the flip-ups. I just used some nylon chord and tied the covers to the main-tube. Works well IMO.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads