How to re-illuminate an IOR lps tip2 PSL scope

This is a discussion on How to re-illuminate an IOR lps tip2 PSL scope within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys, First post. I have one of the romanian PSL rifles and it came with an IOR manufactured 4x32 scope that was originally illuminated ...

Hi guys,
    First post. I have one of the romanian PSL rifles and it came with an IOR manufactured 4x32 scope that was originally illuminated with tritium. Most if not all the scopes like mine have expired tritium and the reticle is permanently dark. I tried in vain to re illuminate it with small trit capsules but it became obvious to me that there needs to be quite a few trit capsules in there to do the trick, I only had 4 and that was not nearly enough.
    After that experiment failed I decided to try to use glow paint, and modify the reticle carrier so that a xenon flashligh aimed into the objective lens would charge the glow paint and cause the reticle to glow.

I disassembled the scope by remoning the front and rear tubes, three lock screws secure them once removed the tubes simply twist off.

This is the reticle carrier, a two piece affair.....

unscrew it and you will find the tritium elements, they are semi-circular glass tubes. They are BIG.

my four little tritium tubes were woefully inadequate-no glow.

looks pathetic compared to the big semi-circles.

heres the other half, it holds the reticle.

I bought some europium based glow paint from united nuclear.com

and squeezed some into the carier surrounding the reticle.

SHE GLOWS!

I bored out the hole in front of the carrier cover to allow light from a flashlight to get into the carrier and charge the paint.
    I wish my camera would allow me to show how well it works but I`m a much better tinker than a photographer. Suffice it to say, when I charge the paint for about 20 seconds with the surefire G2, the reticle glows quite nicely for about 2 or 3 minutes.
    Have a nice day,
    Bossman

Nice! Welcome to the forum - and thanks for making such a helpful opening post.

I have an orginal "Tri-Lux" for a FAL and fortunately they make an LED with adjustable brightness, so I didn't get stuck having to "work something up"...
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

I too have a Romanian PSL rifle, with a similar scope. Where did you purchase the glow paint? I'm interested in dpoing a similar thing to me IOR built scope.

Jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Impressive work :wink:

Jeffdoor, the glowpaint can be purchased from www.unitednuclear.com click on the "phosphorescent items" link. You might also try "glowpaint.com"
    Soon glowpaint.com will be releasing a new product called "litroenergy" which is a self luminous paint, it incorporates tiny tritium capsules that cause the glow, I cant wait to get my hands on a bottle of that stuff, I can then reilluminate my scope without having to charge it with a flashlight. One would also be able to paint the iron sights with it and for all intents and purposes have night sights as good as tritium inserts without spending $80 to $100.
    http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...7s_Litroenergy
    Bossman

hey

Have you tested to see how long it stays lit for. I see there powder says it stays lit for 12 hours. I wonder if there paint is the same since it seems to be the same stuff just one in a powder form and one in a paint form. There good be a lot of different uses for this i might have to buy some.

lax.

I have not looked at mine in about two years. I wonder if it is still glowing.

Great write up. I am interested to see what other options (if any) come up.
    The difficulty of armed struggle is to make long distances near and make problems into advantages. Sun Tzu

Pretty interesting. I may try that sometime on my PSl's scope.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

I think the 12 hours is a bit of a stretch......if you get the paint glowing fully with a UV light it really does glow brightly for several minutes but then gets rather dim and stays slightly glowing for a couple of hours. The paint I have is not leaps and bounds better than any other glow paint I`ve seen, it is nice and bright mind you but not "all that". As far as the scope application is concerned it will keep the reticle lit at a usable brightness for no more than about 3 minutes max. Worth the effort but not as nice as real tritium, if I just have to make a shot in the dark I have a bit better chance than no reticle but who is going to sit in one place while I charge the glow paint? I really want that litroenergy paint to come to market, that will be the ticket!
    Bossman

Ads