spotting scope

spotting scope

This is a discussion on spotting scope within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; hello everyone, i am looking for a good spotting scope that would get me out to the 1000 yd range. I really like the leupold ...

Thread: spotting scope

spotting scope

hello everyone,
    i am looking for a good spotting scope that would get me out to the 1000 yd range. I really like the leupold mark 4, but dont have the money for it. I have been looking at the burris landmark and it seems to be pretty decent. I have around 400 bucks to spend. What are you guys using? any input is appreciated. thanks
    Tom
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

The best cheap spotter I found is the Burris XTS. I bought one off Mel and found it to be very nice for the price. I was working on a full review but somebody came along that offer the right price for it. Thus it has been sold and no review for now.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

You realize even with a top of the line spotter you won't see bullet holes in the black past about 500 yards or so right? You start getting into mid to low priced spotters they get worse. What you plan on spotting to 1000? Steel? Shoot n cees? Standard targets?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

We used to always use spotting scopes and still do occasionally. Recently we've been spotting with a scope on another rilfle. The image quality in rifle scopes seems to be better than spotting scopes in general, I'm not talking about the really high end spotting scopes. You can see vapor trails just fine when shooting at paper and puffs when shooting at steel or rocks. Just something you may want to consider if there's better places to spend your money (like a better scope for your rifle).

i was looking at the burris xts also. it seems like a good spotter for the price. I am shooting steel at 1000 yds. havent done it yet but a buddy of mine has a range at his house, so we will see how many rounds i go through before i hear a clank. haha I have a remington 700 chambered in .300 win mag. i am loading 180 nosler partitions. that will get me out to a grand wont it? the barrel is 26 in long. i wasnt planning on seeing the holes at a 1000 yds. I just would like something where i can see for a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by shootinkid.300
    i was looking at the burris xts also. it seems like a good spotter for the price. I am shooting steel at 1000 yds. havent done it yet but a buddy of mine has a range at his house, so we will see how many rounds i go through before i hear a clank. haha I have a remington 700 chambered in .300 win mag. i am loading 180 nosler partitions. that will get me out to a grand wont it? the barrel is 26 in long. i wasnt planning on seeing the holes at a 1000 yds. I just would like something where i can see for a distance.
    Shootinkid you might want to work on that load a bit. The partition bullets were designed as a hunting round not a precision round. If I'm going to be shooting at a grand or more I'm after a high BC bullet. For the win mag look at Nosler 200 grain accubonds, berger 210 grain VLD's, Hornady 208 grain AMAX, or a Sierra Matchking. All of these will work better at distance. I prefer the VLD's or Accubonds due to there terminal performance.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

i meant to say accubond. i dont know why i was thinking partition.

Ads