recommend me some hunting glass and base/rings

This is a discussion on recommend me some hunting glass and base/rings within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; had my eye on this http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=128054 Gander Mt has the 40mm for $115 i might go that route if i decide on this brand. it ...

had my eye on this

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=128054

Gander Mt has the 40mm for $115 i might go that route if i decide on this brand. it will be for a 700 cdl 30-06. i don't really want to spend over $120ish for this scope

anyone recommend anything better for the price?

Looking to spend $50ish on the rings and stuff if thats possible. ill be picking up 2 sets of bases and rings one for the 700 cdl and one set for my 700p

what kind of hunting do you want to do?? Varmints, deer??

white tail deer

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If your local Gander Mountain store has one, I would go look through it. Look across the store as far as you can to see how clear the picture is.

I'm just not sure of the glass quality at that kind of price, so that's why I say to look through it and see if it look good to you!

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael99
    white tail deer
    The problem is that its too much power. I suggest to find something like 3-12x tops. I hunt for many years and 6-16 is only good for varmint. maybe you will also hunt in low light conditions (dusk &dawn) and this scope is not that good at light gathering.

I prefer a little less power on the low end, but you can probably get by with 6x. Lemme ask you this: are you going to be going hand to hand combat (well, hand to hoof combat) in the tight, brushy stuff, or are you going to be looking out over humongous soybean fields? Tight stuff begs for less Xs, so you get a bigger field-of-view.

Knee jerk answer? Find a way to get a Leupold 3-9x. Rifleman, VX I or VX II, all are good. A little more cash, but much better scopes.

My two cents worth is .... waaaay too much magnification for deer hunting.

Look at scopes in the 1.5 to 5 range for a variable power and x3 to x4 for fixed power scopes.

Most people these days tend to over magnify mainly because there are so many high magnification scopes on the market now.

If you must have a higher power variable scope for deer, I would suggest a Burris 3 to 9 with their ballistic plex reticle .... choose a good all-round loading for it and learn the hold-overs for differing ranges using the reticle for the known load.

I prefer a 3-9x40. A Burris fullfield is a good deer scope, and comes in at around $200. I've used Muellers to hunt with good success.Nikon is good. Leupold is great, Ziess is great. What can you afford?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsid1002
    The rifleman does not have clicks. You have to watch how far you turn the adjustment with a coin.
    Yeah, but he said hunting scope. I never mess with the adjustments after I zero.

Ads