Learning to shoot with a scope

This is a discussion on Learning to shoot with a scope within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have experience with iron sights only, so am going to start learning about scopes on my savage .22lr. I am wondering, would it be ...

I have experience with iron sights only, so am going to start learning about scopes on my savage .22lr. I am wondering, would it be better to learn on fixed or variable power scopes, or will it make a difference. Also, any learning tecqniques taht may help? thank you.

If you leave the variable power scope on one setting, it operates just like a fixed power scope.

As you look through the eyepiece, try to get the fuzz equally centered on the outside edge of the image created by the scope--this minimizes paralax by putting your eye on the optical axis.

Keep your eye open as the gun fires and you can often see the bullet supersonic signature trace through the air just before the gun vibrations disrupt the image. This helps your follow through.

Actually keep BOTH eyes open. Takes some getting used to but you will be a better shot. The how to is a little too complex imho to get into on a forum. Get a good book and learn from that. SOTIC manual is good, and David Tubbs has some exellant books out on shooting.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

By the way, you are to be commended on your wise choice of learning this with a .22. We all too often see folks come in who want to learn with a 300WM or God forbid a 338LM. Later when they have spent a fortune on ammo and can't afford to continue you can find their slightly used rifle in the for sale section. Learning with a rifle that costs $14 for 500 rounds is smart.

Fluffy would say you are not being a schmoe.

Learning the basics I want to practice a lot, for cheap. I may get a 22mag or 17 hmr next year, but even thats 5x cheaper than 308. Im thinking of a weaver classic rimfire scope.

Quote Originally Posted by k9870
    Learning the basics I want to practice a lot, for cheap. I may get a 22mag or 17 hmr next year, but even thats 5x cheaper than 308. Im thinking of a weaver classic rimfire scope.
    I'm getting a .17 hmr soon. Although my .308 is my first precision rifle ever! So far my shooting buddy seemed impressed with how well I was doing? I think he was a better shot then I was though, but still. I want to get a 17 to practice, shoot less expensive rounds, varmint hunting without "Varmint Mush" being the only thing to indicate where the kill was, plink and have fun, and have something to shoot between groups with my 308 to give the barrel time to cool.

I have a .22 but i love the thing too much to put a scope on, so i now have an excuse for 2 guns, and im thinking another savage, mine was dead on accurate and accutrigger beats any other rimfire trigger i've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ekaphoto
    Actually keep BOTH eyes open.
    I have been doing this recently... and I do think it's much easier... keeps me from getting a "squint" headache! :lol:

Ads