1 Piece or 2 Piece Scope Base???

This is a discussion on 1 Piece or 2 Piece Scope Base??? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; OK Gents, Got the Rem 700 LTR ... now I need to find a decent scope base for this little gem. I'll be grabbing a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK Gents, Got the Rem 700 LTR ... now I need to find a decent scope base for this little gem. I'll be grabbing a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 for glass and using medium Burris XTR rings.

Mike from Tac Ops suggested the 2 piece mounts here availble through the SC Shop, but not sure if the Burris rings will fit on them???

Would these be good to use with the Burris rings or should I get a single piece base and if so ... Which One??? All Feedback, Suggestions, and Advice Welcome. Thanks for listening, Take Good Care, and Be Safe Always.

-SGT.RAVEN-
    "From A Place You Will Not See... Comes A Sound You Will Not Hear"

The one piece Two piece thing is a big up in the arms things

Now mike uses i think all two piece. Were most your armed forces use one pieces.

I think its what you are going to be using it for and if your worried about loading the mag box or are you loading in to a mag.

So it really comes down to what you want and going to do with it. I have both

The new build is goig to have a one piece.

Tom

there is a STICKY on this above the thread in this section.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ke5muj
    Doh :roll: ... Thanks I just saw found it. Help if I paid better attention :lol: . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-SGT.RAVEN-
    "From A Place You Will Not See... Comes A Sound You Will Not Hear"

Quote Originally Posted by SGT.RAVEN
    Quote Originally Posted by ke5muj
    Doh :roll: ... Thanks I just saw found it. Help if I paid better attention :lol: . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-SGT.RAVEN-
    no worries, I do it all the time.

One piece mounts seem to add utility, and a little weight.

Two piece mounts are lighter, but if your scope is short and you have a long action, you could run into problems.

I like the look of the two piece, so that is what I am working with.

I understand there is a sticky on this subject, but its more a "how-to" on bedding a base than differences between the two. Just says some people prefer one, and others prefer the other. I know MYSELF, I would like to know the advantages and dis-advantages of both.
    From what I THINK I understand about the 2, the one piece is a nice, solid tactical set-up in which you will be using a magazine to feed ammo. And the two piece allows someone to load from the top.
    Again, I am COMPLETELY new to this, and that is what I have taken from all I have heard. I can afford to put a magazine in my set-up, but like feeding in from the top for some weird reason.
    But ANY info that someone could give, as far as the differences of the two types, would be AWESOME!!
    "He's a ra-tard"

The arguments in favor of a 1-piece seem to be that it adds strength, stiffens the action, eliminates misalignment issues between two separate bases, and provides more mounting flexibility in that you have a longer piece of rail to work with.

Downsides to a 1-piece are added weight, less access to the top of the action, and can add stresses to an action (if not bedded properly or materials/thermal expansion is mis-matched).

Advantages to a 2-piece are lighter weight, greater access to the open top of the action, and less chance for adding new stresses to the action.

I have yet to see any empirical data showing one shoots better than the other. In my mind a steel 1-piece base makes sense and makes me feel better, so I use it. Either work fine if installed properly.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out what I've forgotten -
    "The Way is in training" Miyamoto Musashi

I run one piece bases because you never know when you could need that extra for mounting a scope etc. I have a EGW rail at the moment dont have any issues with it, but will be upgrading to a steel one piece soon, probs a TPS.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Precision Rifles:

Remington 700 "F-Class" 7mm08AI, 308 Win, 6x47AI
    Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Weatherby Vanguard .223 Rem
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR

MY thing is I dont plan on ever mounting anything other than a WoTac on it. So I dont think I will need the flexibility of a 1 piece. I just plan on hunting and target shooting.
    The "sticky" on this subject also pointed out that a 2 piece base actually eliminates "vertical stringing" over a 1 piece base. Can someone explain what "vertical stringing" is to me? Or is it what it sounds like...a vertical misalignment of the scope?
    "He's a ra-tard"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads