Vortex Razor HD VS NF NXS

This is a discussion on Vortex Razor HD VS NF NXS within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; G'day all. Pro's. Cons. Which one is the better scope, etc?? Ive used NF's but not the Razor....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

G'day all.

Pro's.

Cons.

Which one is the better scope, etc??

Ive used NF's but not the Razor.
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Precision Rifles:

Remington 700 "F-Class" 7mm08AI, 308 Win, 6x47AI
    Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Weatherby Vanguard .223 Rem
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR

If you are talking about the nightforce F1... then I'd pay the extra couple hundred bucks to get the nightforce. Especially since they finally came out with the 10 mil turrets.

I got rid of my nightforce when I got my premier, but I also have a razor. Its a hell of a scope for the money, but in my opinion it should be priced at $1500 instead of $2000. If you look around, you can probably get one for close to that $1500 mark.

The eyebox on the razor is very unforgiving compared to the NF. Eye relief is about the same, but you have to be absolutely dead center right behind the vortex to get a clear ocular. It can be distracting for new shooters. Doesn't bother me that much.

The 35mm tube means you have to spend a couple hundred on rings too. Not a big deal, but noteworthy.

The 10 mil turret of the nightforce is major if you shoot long range. If you only shoot 500yds or so, then you'll never get out of the first turn on a regular NF or the razor anyway. I will say that the 5 mil stuff is not TERRIBLE either, but its kind of a personal preference thing.

If you want, I can post a bunch of through the scope pics of the razor.

Could you post through the scope pictures of the razor and premier? I know the premier has better glass, but still just a comparison.
    Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.
    -Robert E. Lee-

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan
    If you are talking about the nightforce F1... then I'd pay the extra couple hundred bucks to get the nightforce. Especially since they finally came out with the 10 mil turrets.

I got rid of my nightforce when I got my premier, but I also have a razor. Its a :-) of a scope for the money, but in my opinion it should be priced at $1500 instead of $2000. If you look around, you can probably get one for close to that $1500 mark.

The eyebox on the razor is very unforgiving compared to the NF. Eye relief is about the same, but you have to be absolutely dead center right behind the vortex to get a clear ocular. It can be distracting for new shooters. Doesn't bother me that much.

The 35mm tube means you have to spend a couple hundred on rings too. Not a big deal, but noteworthy.

The 10 mil turret of the nightforce is major if you shoot long range. If you only shoot 500yds or so, then you'll never get out of the first turn on a regular NF or the razor anyway. I will say that the 5 mil stuff is not TERRIBLE either, but its kind of a personal preference thing.

If you want, I can post a bunch of through the scope pics of the razor.
    I agree with that having had 2 F1s and a Razor.

I will add that I got rings with my Razor and it came to around $1890 through Liberty Optics. That said I would still get the F1 as my first choice between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcagle89
    Could you post through the scope pictures of the razor and premier? I know the premier has better glass, but still just a comparison.
    There are some here in his article
    http://www.primalrights.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=1522

Thanks Rob.

Yup, a few nice pics for comparison in that thread. I need to take some better ones when the lighting is better. The pic of the IPSC at 1125yds shows off the premier pretty well. Its 3x the scope the vortex is, and 2x the scope the nightforce was. After using the premier, I have no need for S&B.

Here's a pic showing the size relation to the 5.5-25x50 nightforce.

So, the real question is money. If money is a concern, then go with the vortex. It will likely serve you well.

If you have a bit more money, go with the nightforce.

If you want the best... forget them both and call Scott @ Liberty Optics and buy a premier!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcagle89
    There are some here in his article
    http://www.primalrights.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=1522
    Thanks Rob, I read it after I had made my post ops:
    Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.
    -Robert E. Lee-

So, the real question is money. If money is a concern, then go with the vortex. It will likely serve you well.

This is why I ultimately bought the Razor (is it here YET?!?!) But I must point out one very important exception, at least to me...

When I actually sat down and wrote out on paper what I expected in a scope, I realized that my field shooting was outpacing the magnification of my past 4.5-14 and 4-14 and 4-16's.

At 2000 yds. stuff is starting to get really small, and yes I *could* hit it but at that distance and beyond, it would be nice to at least have the extra magnification available for use in the right conditions. So, on paper at least, regardless of cost (and yes, the cost difference was prohibitive, but I was looking at PERFORMANCE first), the F1 was eliminated. Rumors continue to circulate about the highly anticipated F1 big brother, but the "when" and the "$how$ $much$" put the stake in it's heart. With the Leupy's horrible reputation at this point, the Razor was the only logical choice. I do wish it went 25x and had a .04 mil reticle. Oh well....

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

If you want the best... forget them both and call Scott @ Liberty Optics and buy a premier!
    2 out of 3 aint bad. I wouldn't call the Premier the best. I like my S&Bs better than the 2 Premiers I had. Mostly the knobs. Hate MTC and don't like the feel of the Premier clicks. Like the dual turn S&B knob better. Glass is excellent in both and both tracked perfectly in my tests, which is more than I can say about another higher priced scope.

I also don't like the GenII XR reticle. Don't like the line and dot size relationship. The original GenII is an excellent reticle. I have one in my older S&B 5-25x56 actually.

A few other personal reasons as well but that's not for the forums. You will be served well by the Premier but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'm with Rob01 on the Premier. I didn't like the clicks either, and with the FFP I couldn't even see the reticle at lower powers. It looked like a duplex reticle at 3-6x's. Not that those who have them use the lower magnification alot, at least not at long ranges. I guess I just like the spacing of each click on my Nightforce. When you make an adjustment on a Nightforce you know you've made an adjustment. Having 5mils per turn isn't a problem either with the zero stop. 10mils per turn would be nice though.

B
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads