Savage 10FP, Badger 20MOA mount, Burris Xtreme Rings, Konus

This is a discussion on Savage 10FP, Badger 20MOA mount, Burris Xtreme Rings, Konus within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Guys, I have the Savage 10FP. I have the 20MOA Badger picatinny mount/base. I'm awaiting the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings and The Konus M30 8.6-32x ...

Guys,

I have the Savage 10FP. I have the 20MOA Badger picatinny mount/base. I'm awaiting the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings and The Konus M30 8.6-32x 50mm scope.

I have the Wheeler scope mounting kit and have watched their YouTube video. The kit contains a lapping tool and lapping compound. My question is, is this step necessary when using Burris Xtreme Tactical rings? The reason I ask is that these rings have serrations (from the pictures I've seen) that run the direction of the barrel. It appears they are there for a reason and probably shouldn't be lapped smooth.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings?

I've never been one to lap rings. I've used 6 sets of burris xtr's total. Lapped none, and none marked up the scope. Maybe I just got lucky?

I certainly don't find a need to lap nightforce/seekins/badger. Bolt them on and never had a problem to speak of.

I to have the lapping kit youn speak of.. and the same rings.. I lapped mine down to wear about 75% of the finish is lost/ smoothed and the tightend them down to 22 inch pounds..i did notice that around the edges closest to the ends and caps of rings did wear first meaning a slight rise on the material.. is it a needed step..maybe maybe not.. do I do it.. YES they make the kit for a reason right? on a side note it also helps makes the senterline of rings more straight.. which cn never be a bad thing... If ya got it use it just dont remove so much ya cant tourqe them down properly....

SSG Snyder
    "say hello to my little friend"

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Burris advertising them as "need little or no lapping." That indicates that it may not be needed, but may also, like any other ring, need it. They also advise, if lapping is done, to do is little as possible to take advantage of the design. The angle-lock rings give the same recommendations. If you have the kit, yuo should also have the alignment tool. Use them. If it aligns, and you are concerned about it, don't lap them. If they are not aligned, check frequently while lapping, to minimize the amount of lapping you do.

A big tip for lapping rings though, especially XTR or angle-lock, you want to make sure the rings stay with each other (front/front and back/back) and get put back on facing the correct direction. I recommend tape with "V"s cut in them, or white out. Two "V"s for the front and one for the back, with the point facing forward, so after taking them off to clean and check alignment, they go back on in the correct place. Also use feeler gauges or an inch/pound wrench at a very low setting to make sure the top ring is even all the way around while lapping, to ensure they are lapped evenly. Otherwise you may take off more material from one side, and then would have to put them back on in with the same amount of contact. Otherwise, lapping is a waste of time and you are not getting the benefits from it, that it is designed to give you.
    Molon Labe!
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Range Master (head armorer and lead firearms instructor)
    AR15/M16, Remington 700 and Glock Armorer
    Savage bolt & Remington rimfire fan

Yes they will need lapping and alignment. Mine had to be.

I took mine to a gunsmith specializing in bench rest competition rifles to get everything perfectly aligned to the bore. I wanted him to lap and align them and he said he would if they needed it, they needed it.

But now I am happy in my confidence that my rifle is an accurate solid rig, as much as I can afford on my budget for it.

yup no matter how good the rings are machined there is always a imperfection somewhere and even if the company laps the rings before finishing lapping still helps aline them in ur mounts and bases. It also add more surface area for the rings to grab the scope making a more solid junction between then optic and rings. you can set ur scope to be in line with the bore by finding the scopes mechanical zero .. usually set from the maker of the scope if not u can check by placing a mirrion agianst the front of the scope looking threw it and dialing till the crosshairs become one. thats the mechanical zero. then with a lazer bore sighter mount the scope and shim and adjust the scope and mounts till the crosshair is on the dot at 25 yards.. thats how i was taught to line with the bore..wheeler sope kit includes the alignment bars compound dvd and lapping bar tourqe wrench and bits...

No need to lap. Most don't and have no problems. Careful not to overtighten. Use the small wrench that comes with the rings.

Also, no need for a boresighter. Just take the bolt out of your gun and look down the barrel at a target. Now adjust the scope to shoot at that spot.

If a person uss the small wrench that comes with it they can still over tighten. its knowing how much force to apply that makes it correct and even over each screw in the mount. uneven pressure is also bad. A tourqe wrench will eliminate that issue. though lapping may not be needed it won hurt.. after all they wouldnt offer a kit for it if ya didnt need to. A laser bore sighter just makes the job easier and a bit more accurate.. old school method will work.. just saying if you have the equipment to do so why not use it.. after all you payed forit with your hard earned money..

SSG Snyder

Chicken soup at a car wreck. May not help but it probably won't hurt. There are a lot of instruction videos on you tube, google will turn up instructions and the instructions that came with the kit can all get you started.

Ads