Nikon,seems to be doing something right;)

This is a discussion on Nikon,seems to be doing something right;) within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I replied to a thread about the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 obj,mine is a mildot reticle version available only from Midwayusa.After replying to the "Prostaff" thread ...

I replied to a thread about the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 obj,mine is a mildot reticle version available only from Midwayusa.After replying to the "Prostaff" thread I decided I wanted to actually do another full click test up and down, and see excactly what the total travel was internally.So i click all the way down,and then count clicks all the way til the top and it stops turning,then did it vice versa,and then did it again.I look in the Nikon manual to see what the company specs say,and it claims 60moa total(30 up/30 down) and only avail. with 1/4 moa click settings.I get done counting my clicks and get excactly 330 total,equalling 82.50 moa,not 60!The 60 moa after doing the math came out to 240 clicks at 1/4moa,so an additional 90 clicks were found!thats 22.5moa or an additional 11.25moa up and another 11.25 down.So I call nikon custom service to see what they have to say after explaining my findings out.They claim that for some reason the prostaffs in particular and even others have shown up to their QC dept. and they figured if it wasn't less moa than what was expected for that model,then it still passed QC...even with more moa/internal adjustment.I told them that this was puzzling to the point of,if they knew about this,i was thinking they would post it up somewhere ,you know?I said thank you and hung the phone up.Then proceeded to install a new Nightforce 20moa rail on one of my new builds(rem 700 .308).The prostaff was already boresighted for a 0 moa base and zeroed just fine on it.So I figure if i do the math correctly,i should be able to mount the 20 moa base,turn 20moa up to be back at zero,and see if the scope is still zeroed.To my satisfaction,shots were dead on and i honestly couldn't be happier with my findings,a $200under budget scope that shoots true and has a no questions lifetime warranty(i've used it for bs in the past on a different nikon and they handled it rather quickly).the only thing I would add/change would be to exterior turret knobs(who doesn't like umbut either way it's for a benchrest gun that will go out for the occasional hunt,so this scope might just have to stay at home on my new build.Sorry to be long,just wanted you all to know what i've found,thank you and Goodshootin'

~Reagan
    "There is a very thin line between being Brave and being Stupid.",~R.Reagan

Re: Nikon,seems to be doing something right;)

I do own a Prostaff, 3X9X50 BDC. It's not on my bolt rifle, but sits atop mt AR-15 in a set of high Burris xtr's:

There are some great things about this scope for the price. 1st is the clarity of the glass and the light gathering capability, which, I feel are superior to my Gen V WoTac.

However, lack of an objective focus feature and the thick bdc reticle are the sticking points for me, not that I was expecting these features on a cheap scope when I bought it. . For a $150 scope, it is pretty good. I don't care about repeatability as I will never adjust the elevation turret. I hunt and target shoot to around 300m with the AR, and it is/has served well in this role.

regards

Steve

I hear yah Steve.I got this basically because a bud had one on his 300WM and was so happy with it,I said let me see it...After using it(on his rifle)i was impressed considering what it cost.I have a NF NxS and a older MK4 that works true, and optical quality on it is on par with the thousand dollar Lupy to my amazment,not the NF though,but the prices aren't even close.For the Under $200 price tag i'm happy as can be.It's gonna stay home where it is on my new build(bench/hunting purpose) til it fails or proves me wrong,figure I'll have another Lupy to put on another one of my rifles.And yes,its gonna replace a MK4.I'm happy with the Lupy i got years ago, but after a friends recent experience with their CS,I dont think i'll be buying any of there products anytime soon.Plus I still want a USO to add to my collection.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Does the ProStaff have the same resettable turrets as the Buckmaster scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by jhall0050
    Does the ProStaff have the same resettable turrets as the Buckmaster scopes?
    Yes,it has a ring around the turret that can be rotated to where zero is for you,but if you use the turrets to go up/down or left/right,you will need to remember how many clicks in that direction you went to go back the same number of clicks when your done.Its not a zero stop,but a zero "locating dot" in a user turnable ring.Hope this helps.

~Reagan

I have used mostley Nikon on all my guns, Range finder I have a second pair of Nikon travel light V 9x25 that are still in the box never used got a good deal on two pairs and well only use one so it just sits there. But I do agree the are moving ahead I do have MKillit TRS1 Ilike to but all other guns Nikon.

Never used one of their range finders.....hmmm,but yeah i don't hear too many bad things bout' Nikon in general....I guess if I dig I'd probably find something ,somewhere.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

I like them I have broken a couple of them not there falt minedrop from moving vehical or from 15 feet in the air they brake but they fix or get a new one to you quick If you want to try some I have some Binos new in the box with harrness have a good day

Ads