best spotting scope in the 1,200.00 to 1,500.00 range

This is a discussion on best spotting scope in the 1,200.00 to 1,500.00 range within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Going to be buying a spotting scope sometime this winter, looking to spend 1,200 to 1,500 dollars, something around 20X60X80 power range with the angled ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going to be buying a spotting scope sometime this winter, looking to spend 1,200 to 1,500 dollars, something around 20X60X80 power range with the angled body. will be using it for F class shooting.
    What are some of the better scopes in this range, very new to spooting scopes, don't know to much about the pros and cons, any info would help.
    Thanks
    kenner

Re: best spotting scope in the 1,200.00 to 1,500.00 range

Good intel on this forum. Read thru the other post's, or log in and post your own. They will get you sorted out.

http://www.opticstalk.com/spotting-scopes_forum10.html
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

Administrator

Kenner,

In fixed-distance competitive shooting, most of our scope use is for observing mirage, not for seeing exactly where on the target our shots are impacting. In fact, a lot of F-Class riflescopes have enough magnification to spot shots themselves.

Anyhow, what I'm getting to is that you are largely wasting anything above 25x on a highpower range. As you increase power, field of view decreases. With decreasing field of view comes a decreased awareness of what the wind is doing...you don't have as much ability to see what's coming your way.

You also can't scope as many neighbor's targets up and downwind of you to see what the conditions are like before you fire.

Example: Moderate to Stiff wind at 10:00, no flags, cloudy, 800 yards...what do you do? One GOOD answer is to wait a bit and watch the first 1-3 shots on the targets around you. If they all end up on the right side of the bull, then chances are, the conditions are worth more than you (and they) think.

Most elite highpower shooters are using spotting scopes with magnification at 18x-25x, and don't worry with any more. Less, and it can become hard to determine location of holes at long range. More, and mirage becomes so dense that you can't see holes, and your FOV is so small that you don't get a good sense of wind on the WHOLE range...just the little tunnel you're lookin' at right then.

now then, scope:

You want and NEED a 45-degree angle scope body. Period.

I recommend either the Celestron Regal F-ED scopes, or the Pentax PF ED. Both offer good durability and waterproofing, ED glass, fine adjust focus, rotating mount band, et cetera...but the biggest thing they offer is their American standard 1.25" eyepiece mounting sockets.

This is huge, because it allows you to purchase any standard 1.25" astronomical eyepiece, either fixed, or zoom, and plug it right in for a completely different scope performance from the one you had in before. Eyepiece do not receive as much credit as they ought to, because they can make or break the image faster than just about anything else.

Scopes like the Kowa, Zeiss, Leica ("The Big Three") use PROPRIETARY bayonet mounts for their scopes, so that only their eyepieces will fit. This way, they sell more shtuff, see?

Lower end scopes have fixed eyepieces that cannot be changes for anything else, and are generally not high quality anyhow. Trust me, I've been there and done that...no good for serious work.

Their are literally hundreds of eyepiece available. MOST are not waterproof, and this is a feature you MUST have on a highpower range.

The Pentax XW series 1.25" eyepieces and are recognized around the world as some of the absolute best available. Just trundle over to any birding or astronomy forum and see. They are a far better EP than most of the proprietary ones available for The Big Three's scopes. Among other good features, keys are: waterproof, offer 70-degree field of view (excellent), and fixed 20mm eye relief (excellent) for easy use with shooting glasses.

Put one of these suckers in a Celestron or Pentax ED-glass scope, and prepare to be amazed. For cross-course shooting, I use a Celestron Regal 65 paired with the Pentax XW 20 eyepiece.

To determine end magnification of your scope with an eyepiece:

Focal length of scope / Focal length of eyepiece = Magnification in powers.
    Example: Celestron Regal ED 65 = 386mm Focal Length
    Pentax XW 20 = 20mm Focal Length

386mm/20mm = 19.3x Magnification

The Vixen Geoma-II scopes accept 1.25" EP and have received good reviews as well, but may be outside your price range with a good eyepiece.

Alright, I'm done.
    -Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Yikes! Nate. Thanks for your posting. I believe I quadrupled my knowledge of spotting scope by reading your reply. I never would have thought to consider Pentax or Celestron. And I'm guessing knowing about eyepieces opens the door to great possibilities.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Warning: This post is being monitored by our Surveillance State.

Nate, Thank You for all the the info, I'm blown away, You have opened up a whloe new field of spotting scopes I never thought about, great info.
    Thanks
    kenner

Wow, another thanks for Nate. As someone who's starting to look into spotting scopes this info is invaluable.
    Happiness is a warm gun.

Stevens 200 6.5x47 Lapua project Hidden Content
    6.5x55 M96 Swedish Mauser
    S&W 1500 .30-06
    Savage 64FXP
    Springfield XD45 Tactical Bi-tone

Administrator

Not a problem guys. I went through it all myself, so I thought I'd save ya'll some trouble.

To be clear, I didn't mean to sound like the Kowa, Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, et al scopes are bad. They are excellent. But if I'm dropping $2,000+ on a scope body, I oughta be able to interchange eyepieces AS I SEE FIT ! :roll:

Short of an astro scope, the best scopes going for image quality are the Kowa Prominar XD 77 or Prominar 88mm. By laminating a solid synthetic Fluorite crystal lens and a Lanthanum Crown lens into the same objective lens group, their engineers get the benefits of both ends of the spectrum: Extremely bright image, very little sperical aberration, and almost no color dispersal (apochromatic or "APO"), all in a scope that is a light as possible.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

OK, I ended up buying a used in like new cond. Zeiss 85T FL in a nice case with cleaning kit and a 20X60 eyepiece for 1,500.00
    I love it, fantastic glass, thanks everyone for all of the info.
    kenner

Nate,

I was refered to this thread after asking a question about a couple of scopes I was looking at.

For a first time shooter with scopes at "long" range what would be your suggestion? I was used to shooting 500 yards with peep sights in the Marines but we always had folks in the pits putting up large discs to be seen easily.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41387

Thank you,
    Adam
    73 de KC2ANT

Savage 110 BA .338
    Nikon Monarch 6-24x50

KC,

FWIW, I bought the Celestron Nate referred to (the Regal 65), and couldn't be happier. I can spot holes at several hundred yards easily, and the eyepiece that comes with it is decent. I'm looking to upgrade to a fixed eyepiece such as the one he mentioned sometime soon, as fixed lenses will allow a HECK of a lot more light transmission than zoom lens groups will, per dollar. For the price, I don't think I could have done better, and it wasn't too hard on the pocketbook.

HTH
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads