Vortex Diamondback Binos, Good Choice?

This is a discussion on Vortex Diamondback Binos, Good Choice? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm in the market for my first real pair of binoculars. From what I understand, I would be hard-pressed to find a better product than ...

I'm in the market for my first real pair of binoculars. From what I understand, I would be hard-pressed to find a better product than Vortex's 8x42 Diamondback without spending over $500.

I'll be using them to scan for targets in both urban and wilderness environments at distances up to a mile away. I've decided that 8x is probably as much magnification as I can use without a mount of some kind. As stated above, I don't have any practical experience with binoculars and would like opinions of those who do.

The $500 figure isn't necessarily the most that I'd spend, but I'm sceptical that a $2000 pair would be four time as good.

Re: Vortex Diamondback Binos, Good Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Chumpwagon
    I'm in the market for my first real pair of binoculars. From what I understand, I would be hard-pressed to find a better product than Vortex's 8x42 Diamondback without spending over $500.

I'll be using them to scan for targets in both urban and wilderness environments at distances up to a mile away. I've decided that 8x is probably as much magnification as I can use without a mount of some kind. As stated above, I don't have any practical experience with binoculars and would like opinions of those who do.

The $500 figure isn't necessarily the most that I'd spend, but I'm sceptical that a $2000 pair would be four time as good.
    Are you in the military? What kind of targets would you be scanning for in an urban area?
    Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option; that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon the moderation, or hope to extinguish the ambition of others. - Federalist 34

I'm most certianly not military. I decided a couple of years ago that I had enough guns but no real training on how to use them. I've been taking classes and practicing for a while now (pistol and carbine) and really having a good time. I've decided to take a Precision Rifle/Hunter/Sniper class and binoculars are on the equipment list. I figure that the targets I'd be scanning for would be of the two-legged variety.

The Vivitar binoculars I paid for with my CamelCash fifteen years ago aren't really up to snuff, even with their "ruby coated" occular lenses. :wink:

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

That's cool, folks. I just bought 'em. I'll post up a review after the class.

Best Wishes...

Were are you taking your class?

I recently bought a Vortex 8x ranging monocular. Price was great and I like it. My wife saw it and I had to fight her to keep it.

It's a TacTrain class. The classroom/zeroing will be at Ben Avery and the practical part will be out in the Bradshaw Mtns. They're really good folks.

That 8x ranging monocular is a favorite of mine. Can't beat it for the price.

Mark H.

Ads