Nikon optics

Nikon optics

This is a discussion on Nikon optics within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am still new at this but was wondering why there is a negative vibe when it comes to Nikon optics? I was down to ...

Thread: Nikon optics

Nikon optics

I am still new at this but was wondering why there is a negative vibe when it comes to Nikon optics? I was down to a Nikon and a Leupold. Now I am not so sure on the Nikon. I am just learning this game and wanted a good scope to still hunt but also get better with long distance. I'm thinking about a starting point 50-500 yards. I guess just wondering about the negative about Nikon?

I've had great experiences with Nikon products. Which particular model are you considering?
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

I think Nikon make good hunting optics. Even in the high end (monarch) series it is hard to find one with all of the features I want in target shooting. I considered Nikon before I bought my mark 4. The closest thing I have seen to what I am looking for is the m223 line. I have one of those on my 300 blackout because I got a really good deal on it. It is just that there are better options in the same price range for target shooting in my opinion.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

What' makes these nikons worse for target shooting over the SS optics?

To get a Nikon with comparable glass to the SWFA, you will need to step up to the Monarch series. A few of the monarch series are offered with Mil-dot reticles which is necessary if you intend to do range estimation. I don't see any of the monarch series that have external turrets. Thing is, you don't want to have to remove a cap and grab a coin every time you change the distance you are shooting or every time the wind changes. They also only have 1" tubes which limits most of them to 40moa of elevation adjustment. That is 20 moa up and 20moa down. If you use a 20moa rail then there is a good chance you won't be able to zero at 100 yards. The M223 series have external turrets, but you can't get one of them with a mil-dot reticle. The BDC works fine if the load and conditions are exactly the same as when they set it, but usually not real accurate and it won't help you estimate range. I have a Nikon M223 in 2-8x and it works fine for what I use it for. I shoot between 1-300 yards with my subsonic 300 blackout. The model I have has 80moa of adjustment. I only bought it because it was $150 brand new. If I am spending the $350-500 retail for one of their scopes, there are better options in the same price range. I also love the nikon (prostaff I think) I have on my muzzle loader. For the money it is clear glass, lightweight, and holds a zero. I also only hunt with it up to about 100 yards (sometimes 125) and therefore never change the zero. I would not be happy with the prostaff on one of my target rifles for shooting distance.

Again, This is my opinion. I would wait and see what some others say about them.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Monarchs have the best glass in the Nikon offerings. Still not sure what Nikon product you are considering, but the Nikon Tactical, would be the closest thing compared to a SS 5-20x or 3-9x, in glass quailty and/or tactical function. Don't think they even offer the Tactical any more.

The "new" Monarchs with the 4x erector, fixed 4" eye relief, are OK, but the big ocular housing can cause fits, if your rifle has a high bolt throw, like a CZ, for example.
    I owned and reviewed the 4-16x Monarch when they were new. Hos BDC reticle, which I thought was usable, if your shooting with a range finder or known distances.

I'd opt for the 2.5-10x Monarch, if it were me. I think it's a slightly better scope than the upper magnifications. I can post my review, if your interested in the Monarch.
    If your considering a Buck Master, I think they are a decent scope for the money. Pro Staff line, though redesigned a few years back, are lacking and can be bettered with other brands.

Going to be a lack of major elevation/windage adjustments with all the Monarchs, save the Tactical.

4-16x Monarch, with Low TPS rings, 20 MOA Badger rail and sitting on my Rem. .308.

Monarch 4-16.jpg

Im probably going to spend 350-450 for the entire set up. I do like the SWFA SS 6x42 or 10x42. I was looking at a few Leupolds as well. But, Nikons I always thought where good scopes in general. but, I guess that would be more for a hunting application

I own a Nikon Monarch with BDC reticle and from my own perspective I will give you the pros and cons based on personal experience. As a hunting scope it will suit your needs greatly. The glass is clear and crisp for scopes valued less than $500. As a hunting scope I have it mounted on a RRA predator pursuit. I use this for coyote. My RRA is zeroed at 200 yds using 62 grain bullets. The BDC reticle is dead on from 300 to 600 yds without having to dial in for those distances measured. If I need to shoot further than that it allows alot of elevation adjustment to still get me there. So it is a great hunting scope.

What I do not like about it is that it makes it difficult for me to find a great load for my rifle without having to use another scope. The Nikon has terrible parallax beyond one hundred yards so performing a ladder test with this scope at 200 or 300 yds is out of the question. I do not know if it is the load or me that may skew point of impact. So I use a scope that has a parallax knob for the ladder test.

Once the ladder test is performed I switch back to the Nikon and zero at 100 yds first than make adjustments to 200 yds and shoot zero again. The BDC is now good to 600 yds. Great for coyote and jack rabbits.
    Only two defining forces have offered to die for you. One is Jesus Christ for your soul, the other is the American soldier, for your freedom.

Ads