4.5-14 worth extra cash over 3-9?

This is a discussion on 4.5-14 worth extra cash over 3-9? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm ALMOST there, pay checks are coming in strong and soon I shall have my rifle. Now I'm trying to choose exactly which scope. I ...

I'm ALMOST there, pay checks are coming in strong and soon I shall have my rifle. Now I'm trying to choose exactly which scope. I decided Im going to stick with the family tradition of Leupolds. I believe the PR line of tactical scopes will work for me. My cousin just recently purchased his .308 (Savage 10FP LE2) and Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 scope. Due to financial limitations, I had been looking at a 3-9, but Im wondering if this will be great enough magnification for the shooting we'll be doing, as we have property where 600-800 yards is possible, and I'd hate for him to have a leg up on me with the magnification :wink: . I have always had amazing eye sight, but ultimately is it worth the extra $200-350 for greater magnification scope? Thanks all! Hope to post some pics soon! Cheers!
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Sponsors
    My rule of thumb (which many do not agree with :wink: ) is 1x per 100 meters you plan to fire. So, that 9x can get you to 900meters. I have engaged E-type targets beyond 1000 meters with a fixed 10x.

Now, that being said, I actually do think the 4.5-14x is worth the extra money, the big reason being that it is a 30mm tube with LOTS of verticle adjustments AND its side focus.

MEL

Here is what I would do, buy a Zeiss Conquest, 3-9x40 or 3,5-10x44 with mildots.

Then send it to Zeiss to get it retro fitted with target turrets. It has 65 MOA and better glass than Leupold!

450-499 for the scope, 200 $ for target turrets. ( Not sure what it costs in America, but here its around 240$)

Very good scope, and very good knobs

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Hello
    I just bought a 4.5-14X50 Zeiss Conquest it got turrets and side focus it will replace my 3-9 mark 4 as soon as I got time to get out to the range again.
    cliffy out

Sponsors
    I too am a fan of those conquest scopes. Wish they had a bit more adjustments and a 1st focal reticule, but still, excellent scopes

MEL

Thanks for the info! Personally Im a huge fan of the Leupold glass, and I heard the products of '05 and on just got a whole world better. I had heard the magnification per 100M rule before, but I was trying to find the happy medium between what I'll need and what I want (what a task :wink: ). With think of your reccomendations it was sensible to go with the 4.5-14 as much of my shooting with be off a bipod, either benched or prone, probably at targets like red bricks at anywhere from 400-800yds. And naturally I can knock down the magnification for offhand as needed. Thanks for the help guys, I feel far more comfortable and confident in my choice. Should have my entire rifle setup by my B-day in May, goes as follows.
    "Alessandra"
    -Fully Accurized Remington 700P with 26" Fluted Barrel.
    -Leupold PR 4.5-14x40 Tactical.
    -Leupold Standard Two part base and Medium 30mm rings.
    -Harris 6-9" Bi-Pod
    -Bunch of other bells and whistles as cash flow permits :P .
    Thanks all! Cheers!
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Sponsors
    That should make a great setup. Keep us posted and be sure to provide us with some photos!

MEL

Ads