best scope for my .243 shooting 100-500 yards

This is a discussion on best scope for my .243 shooting 100-500 yards within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Right now my .243 has a cheap very low quality Bushnell scope mounted on it. I am looking for a scope that has a mill ...

Right now my .243 has a cheap very low quality Bushnell scope mounted on it. I am looking for a scope that has a mill dot recticle and the easy to adjust turrets so that i can zero my gun at 100 yards also be able to make the proper adjustments to the scopes turrets to hit a target at 500 yards using MOA and bullet drop. I only want to spend around $250 on a scope, the only scopes that i can find in this price range are the Sightmark triple duty 4-16x44 illuminated mill dot and the 8.5-25x50 mill dot. What kind of scope should i get? Will the Sightmark turn 1/8 Moa every time the turret is turned or faulty like my Bushnell? - thanks, ramjam44

Administrator
    Please introduce yourself to the room, give some background, and explain where and for what you use this rifle. Those things facilitate better responses on our part.

I won't blow smoke at you, that budget with those qualifications will not be easy.

Now let me ask this: Why do you want a mil-dot reticle? Really. Is it to use for ranging, holdovers, windage corrections, and tactical observation? Or is it for the CDI factor, or because everybody else says it's good?

Unless you really intend to use the dot reticle as it is designed, it costs money you don't have.

Knowing nothing else, if I were you, I'd get this: Bushnell Elite 3200 321040M Rifle Scope 029757321046 | eBay

...or similar Bushnell 3200 10x40 Mil scope, in USED condition.

They click true, hold adjustments well, have good glass, have Rainguard coatings, have target turrets already, and are some of the best scopes in that class, period. Your issue is likely not a Bushnell brand issue, but a dead scope, or one from the lower echelon of their products.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

Sorry i didn't give any background info. My name is Jabe i'm 19 and I'm in northern Missouri, i use this gun for deer and coyotes. I am just tired of sighting my .243 in at 100 yards and then not being able to hit a deer that is out to 500 yards. I've been watching some youtube videos and learning how to calculate 1/4 inch at 100 yards to moa to number of clicks on my scope but I've noticed that my scope doesn't always go up the correct amount. At one hundred yards my 55 grain ballistic silver tips are dead on but at 300 yards there is a 6.3 inch drop so ii divided 6.3 by 3 which equals 2.1 moa i took 2.1*4 to get the number of clicks i need to compensate for the drop and it came out to 8.4 clicks. When my moved my scope up 8 clicks it only moved my about 2 inches closer to the bulls eye. So basically i just need a scope that clicks true every time so i can make the adjustments i need and be dead on anywhere from 100-500 yards. I think it would be easier for me to make those adjustments if i had a scope that has the target turrets.
    I was just thinking that the mil dot would come in handy when i didnt have time to make the adjustments to my scope i could just use the mil dots and hold high on a target that was out past 300 yards.

I dont want to have to just guess by holding high on targets i want to be able to put shots dead on consistently at any range between 100 and 500 yards. Im a college kid so i dont have very much wiggle room on the budget

- i hope this helps clarify a little bit , Thanks for the help nate

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Administrator
    That absolutely helps clarify, and completely changes my call for a scope for your rifle, so thank you for replying.

Northern Missouri doesn't look too different from Southern Indiana, and that basically means a lot of shots at 50-200 yards, with the opportunity to get out to 7-800 at times. Am I about right there?

What I'm getting at is that you are going to need a variable-power scope to best perform at that task. There are a lot of reasons for variable optics on hunting rifles: close shots, moving shots, low light, and observation of groups of moving animals for shot opportunity without hitting two at once, amongst others.

I think that something with a low power of NOT greater than 3x is appropriate, and something with more power on the high end than 14x is going to be more power than you need.

Look for an objective not greater than 44mm. 36-40mm in good glass is plenty also. 50+ mm objective lenses, until you get into premium glass, are really more an advertising campaign than they are practical or 'better'.

Here's what I think fits:

Mueller Tac II 3-10x44mm, Mil-Dot

Mueller Tactical II 3-10x44mm
    Mueller Tac 2 Tactical Rifle Scope 3-10x 44mm Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

--Unfortunately, the Tac II is discontinued. This isn't a deal killer, as you can maybe find one used. Trouble is, if you have a problem, will Mueller be able to help you, or replace the scope? If they were to replace the scope with some new model...well, the "new" Mueller is not likely to be the quality of the Japan-built Tac II. I have one, and sunshade...but I can't say I really want to take it off that rifle...

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm, Ballistic Plex

Fullfield II Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics
    Burris Fullfield II Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Ballistic Plex Reticle Matte

--Has received very high marks for it's category.
    --Has a well-designed holdover reticle, and can be outfit with a set of Kenton Knobs, but those cost as well.

Bushnell Legend Ultra-HD 4.5-14x44mm, Mil-Dot

The Bushnell above is the very best I think you can do in that price bracket, but with shipping (I estimated to Joplin, MO) you will be looking at $268 or so in the scope.
    This scope will admittedly blow my requirement for low-range magnification, and only you can judge where and how you hunt, and if the 4.5x will be too high for your area. If you sit in a stand a lot, if shots are at longer distances with regularity, if you don't find yourself taking running shots, then this will be a fine optic..especially at the longer ranges.

If you think it's the scope for you, then go to ManVenture now and order. I have had great luck with them, and the last scope I ordered was form there, as they had THE rock-bottom price on the web...and I'm a patient shopper.

Linky to the scope:

Bushnell 854144MD 4.5-14x44 BLK Matte Mil Dot FMC - ManVenture Outpost, LLC.

I currently employ 3 upper-tier Bushnell scopes on rifles ranging from 3 ft/lbs of recoil through 35 ft/lbs, and they all hold and click true. I have found the Bushnell Legend glass to be of excellent quality, equivalent to the Elite 4200 glass and upper-end Leupold...maybe better. I say this, knowing that the Schmidt & Bender on my hunting platform far outclasses it, but that my primary choice of magnified viewing in the woods are the Bushnell Legend binoculars around my neck...I can't give a better recommendation than the pairing that is sitting on my rack right now for this evening's hunt.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Administrator
    So...

...good talk.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    NRA Silhouette AA

Hello
    I would look into the 3x9 mark 4 leopold. I had bought one many year ago and iam very pleased with it. If used for hunting there is no parrelax adjustment to change and it tracks prefect. For hunting the best thing is to sight rifle in for 6" point blank range and than learn you hold oves for the longer shoots. 6" point blank for .243 would be around 75yards to 280yard with a 200yard zero jusg off the top of my head if wrong someone correct me.
    Cliffy

Welcome from Oregon.

In my opinion, for the $ Burris is hard to beat. I prefer the Fulfield E1. It is available in 3X9, 4.5X14 and others also. For your purpose the 4.5X14 at $349 would be my choice, but the 3X9 is $249. They come with a calibration cheat sheet for various calibers and they will custom format a sheet for your specific round, as long as you can provide accurate load data, not just what a manual tells you or the what the ammo manufacture tells you is is. The E1 reticle will have hash marks for 100-500 yards with basic wind drift marks also. I own one now and will own others in the future, just remember the cheat sheet is only as good as the load data.

Kenny

Burris Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 42mm Adjustable Objective

Burris Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Ballistic Plex E1 Reticle

Ads