Range Finder Shootout

Range Finder Shootout

This is a discussion on Range Finder Shootout within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary | PrecisionRifleBlog.com Pretty good article. I don't necessarily agree with all things said, but at least ...

Range Finder Shootout

Rangefinder Binoculars Reviews & Field Tests: Overall Results Summary | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Pretty good article. I don't necessarily agree with all things said, but at least I can direct people to it when I get that "why did you spend $2000 on a range finder" question in the future.

Wow. That is some good info. I was about to pull the trigger on an elite 1600 and am strongly reconsidering now.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Thanks for posting that Greg, I to disagree in the way some of the info was stated but my Terripin serves my needs very well and will not be parting with it for some time. Only thing is I wish they would have made it 8X and then it would have been a complete home run.

Oh stay out of Franks play ground there's only room for HIM ONLY:lol:
    Last edited by BAS402; 01-06-2014 at 07:16 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BAS402 View Post
    Thanks for posting that Greg, I to disagree in the way some of the info was stated but my Terripin serves my needs very well and will not be parting with it for some time. Only thing is I wish they would have made it 8X and then it would have been a complete home run.
    Yeah, I don't think the "reading" tests were very useful for a dedicated range finder. Genuinely, the monocular units shouldn't have really been in there with the bino's. As a dedicated range finder, the terrapin has served me very well on several deer hunting trips and countless steel targets out to distances of 2800yds! I agree that the 5x magnification can be a limiting factor. However, when used with a tripod, I don't feel that it's held me back in any way either. Notice that vectronix were the only units to achieve zero "no reads."

I don't use the Terrapin in the "scanning" role very much. As a monocular it's not really suited to that. I think a good range finding binocular should be selected based on the function of how good its glass is first, and then judged on its LRF capability. That way if you are on a trip, and your main LRF goes down, you'll have a backup. I was very surprised that they didn't have the Swarovski LRF bino's in that test. I used a set of them out in eastern oregon a year ago and found them to be VERY good for scanning and they had better LRF and optical performance than the Bushnell 1600's I had along. Still, for the extra price that they want in order to have the LRF capability, it's kind of hard to justify a lackluster LRF in a bino. It really depends on what you're asking of your equipment though. For some, the bino's could provide a solid value. I know the bushnell 1600 at a street price of $750 is one hell of a good value as a multipurpose scanning bino/rangefinder, so long as it's being used inside it's strong operating window of about 600-800yds.

Quote Originally Posted by BAS402 View Post
    Oh stay out of Franks play ground there's only room for HIM ONLY:lol:
    Saw that huh? The disdain and disrespect with which he treats his members is astonishing. I don't mind much, as he's in no danger of bruising my ego... but some of the other members are treated like lepers. That ain't right. Though I don't know why I'm surprised. ... but what am I saying, I'm too stupid to know whether my parallax is working or not.

I use my 1600's for scanning as well and they work great. You got me rolling on the floor man, he is at our local matches allot and only comes around me when I have my McMillian with the S&B. So I use the trick of shooting my DTA/PR (he can't stand either) and he leaves me alone. Have fun at SHOT, I can't wait to hear some of your reviews
    Last edited by BAS402; 01-06-2014 at 11:40 PM.

I have the Zeiss rangefinder rather than the binoculars and I can confirm that they can be a bit fussy about no-reads when used offhand, but I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

I gave them a really good workout a few months back in an old rock quarry with a lot of open ground distances up to about 1200yd plus all the bolders, scrub trees, walls, etc around. I used a braced position or a tripod for a lot of the readings, but some were taken off-hand. What I found with the offhand is that I wasn't always unable to keep the sighting circle centered on the target, particularly when there was brush getting in the way.

It would be interesting to know why the Zeiss has such a high rate of no-reads when used offhand. It may be that it's programming is skewed to discard a value that's mixed or confused (because not enough of the beam was held steady on the target) rather than give a questionable reading. What I found is that just adjusting my position a little or rotating the rangefinder a tad (it has a vertical bar rather than a "dot" laser) would give me a valid reading.

One question I do have about this blog is who the author (Cal Zant) is? He says he has not been shooting long range that long and his name is not one I see appearing attached to anything other than his blog. And yet he is able to acquire over $10,000 worth of rangefinders for 3 months of extensive testing.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

The lack of offhand performance is often as a result of wide or non-uniform beam divergence, combined with how quickly it will actually compute the reading.

I don't know the guy either. Unfortunately, you don't need to be an authority to talk about something, as we so frequently see. I would say he did a good job though. The units in the list that I've used, performed very similarly to what he reported. The article and the interpretations are ok, but the graphs really tell the tale, so long as people can understand the monoculars at low magnification can't be expected to READ at distance as well as high magnifications.

Ads