Is anyone offended by this? SWFA on an FNH

This is a discussion on Is anyone offended by this? SWFA on an FNH within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; LOL, ok. so. sadly, yes.. this is yet another "I can't make up my mind!!! plz help???" thread. I'm wondering about the SWFA 3-15x42. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Is anyone offended by this? SWFA on an FNH

LOL, ok. so. sadly, yes.. this is yet another "I can't make up my mind!!! plz help???" thread.

I'm wondering about the SWFA 3-15x42. It seems like a fine option. Really fine. I say this, because I've been looking as far up the ladder as USO ST-10 and at IORs and the occasional Leupold.

I've seriously considered about $1300 for glass, and that being about half the cost of the actual FNH A3G rifle, it seems reasonable.

However. The SS 3-15x42 has really thrown my value-shopping bone into high gear. This thing is $700, and the reviews on clarity and repeatability can't be more positive. To boot... I've owned a 3-9x42 Gen II in the past and the fixed 6x Gen I. Both scopes never budged or gave me the least concern. I took care of them... but the occasional knock never worried me or shifted the POI. Some say these scopes are very rugged.. and indeed the build seems quite durable.

The highest priority now is drop-kick ruggedness... and the scope seems to have that. Granted... the USO would eliminate ALL concern. (videos of people throwing them, eh?) But the flexibility and range of the SWFA makes a strong argument. (I wish someone was out there throwing these babies, it'd be a cheaper test for sure)

So basically... what I need is for all of you to assuage my insecurities and tell me it's not insane to put a $700 scope on a $2600 rifle. Okay? That's pretty much it.

You convince me of the SWFA.. I get a Scope, Glock and 1000 rounds for my Sig. You convince me of the USO/IOR... I get a scope and call it a day.

Thank you. Flame on.
    Confidence - Is to live, work, love and perform without any regard, calculation, comparison or consideration of your self-worth.

Personally I would get a used Bushnell HDMR with a G2 reticle and call it a day and still be able to get the Glock and some ammo. You get good glass(not s&b quality) and the features of a $3k scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttshooter View Post
    Personally I would get a used Bushnell HDMR with a G2 reticle and call it a day and still be able to get the Glock and some ammo. You get good glass(not s&b quality) and the features of a $3k scope.
    Very interesting.. do you know where I can find info on its durability?
    Confidence - Is to live, work, love and perform without any regard, calculation, comparison or consideration of your self-worth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Here is a article about what the big boys run! Bushnell is in the upper levels. Now understand that most of these guys are sponsored shooters and Bushnell may be one of there sponsors. Yes we all like free stuff but if it was not good kit they would look else were like any of us would do! The HDMR can also be had with the H59 reticle.

Best Rifle Scope ? What The Pros Use 2013 | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/1...-the-pros-use/

Look at the Vortex Razor 5-20x50 as well. They are on sale now and a great scope for the sale price. Plenty durable.
    Vortex Razor HD Riflescopes

Check out the Steiner Military 3-12x50 on EuroOptics. That's a $2100 scope on clearance for $1100.
    Nuttshooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
    Check out the Steiner Military 3-12x50 on EuroOptics. That's a $2100 scope on clearance for $1100.
    Whew thats a good deal. I hope my ship comes in before these babies run out.

Eyeing the 34mm tube bushnells also.

Also, I'm giving the Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x42 a look. Why? Good question.

A lot of people will be repelled by the lack of a FFP reticle and shorter capped knobs. The reticle is simply mil dot or duplex and no illumination.

But what I'm seeing is a variable-value and always readable reticle (I can convert the "mil" dot to subtend 5 to 35 moa (approx.)... A very streamlined (not grotesquely knobby) profile with rugged caps instead of exposed dials.... So no mechanical link to the scope internals in the event of an extreme impact.... AND Kenton industries throws in a specified BDC knob for no extra charge. I'd buy the windage knob also. The scope design is impact tested, the length is less than 14", and I get a low end fov greater than 40' at 100yards.

also.. A mil dot is simply functional.. And illumination? I hunt until sun-crash and on my old Bushnell Trophy scopes, such a feature has never been useful.

Thoughts?

The bushnell 6500 series is NOT where you want to look if you are talking about value. It is one of the most returned scopes there is. I've had some very candid talks with some of the largest optics dealers in the world. During those talks I learned a few fun facts like that.

Your views in that post on mil reticles and scopes in general don't really withstand real world application.
    Rob01 likes this.

I've owned 2 SWFA 10X $300 scopes, sent back 2 and looked through another. The clarity is fairly good. Some are better then others. I wouldn't order through them again unless I had too. I've never looked through the 3x15 but they aren't high definition scopes so I wouldn't expect them to be much better then the fixed power optics. I would look for something else myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads