Budget optic or save up

Budget optic or save up

This is a discussion on Budget optic or save up within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; So I have a Howa 1500 in .308. I put a Vortex Crossfire on it so I could get out and shoot. I definitely do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Budget optic or save up

Budget optic or save up

So I have a Howa 1500 in .308. I put a Vortex Crossfire on it so I could get out and shoot. I definitely do not expect that to be an optic for long range shooting. I was wondering if anyone has any experience. with SWFA's 3-15 optic? Is it worth buying and learning on? I am new to long range shooting so advice is appreciated. I was looking to spend roughly $500-$1000 (at this time), other suggestions welcomed.

Save. Then put the Crossfire on a 22LR trainer.
    Then save up for reloading equipment.
    You will not outgrow the Howa for a while.
    By the time you are dialed in on reloading you will start to see the limits of your skills and equipment and be able to plot your next move.
    Martino1 and BigRed502 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Save. Then put the Crossfire on a 22LR trainer.
    Then save up for reloading equipment.
    You will not outgrow the Howa for a while.
    By the time you are dialed in on reloading you will start to see the limits of your skills and equipment and be able to plot your next move.
    There are tons of folks (myself included) who will second this advice. I have spent money unnecessarily due to not heeding this bit of advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I echo Oilfield and Hypo's words of wisdom.

Howa is one of the best shooting budget rifles out there. I have a 30-06 Howa. Save your money and invest in the best scope you can afford. Do your research before you buy. A high end optic will help you get the most out or a budget rifle that shoots well. A low end optic on a high end rifle is a recipe for disappointment. I've been there more than a care to admit. My.02.

One other thing, unless you want to waste money, don't become a collector like I did.
    I have enough tied up in milsurps and AR and other stuff to have the $2k+ scope and custom rifle.

I would say it definitely depends on your situation if you only have a couple of rifles save your money. I'm probably the minority I have fewer scopes than rifles so it wouldnt bother me to dump $300 for a swfa now and have a scope that is better suited for precision shooting and then start saving for a nicer optic. But then again I could move the vortex to a hunting rig then once I got a nice scope, put the swfa on a .22 or something.

Try the guys at SportOptics.com. They can advise you and probably hook you up with a better scope than you expected. A Vortex Viper PST in second focal plane would fit your budget.

This, ^^^^^^^ Sport Optics are good folks. Save up and buy quality. Buy once cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    Buy once cry once.
    People must buy the wrong scopes often. I don't cry at all after scoping a rifle.

Ha! I wouldn't be crying over buying a TT either.
    Worth the wait and extra overtime.

It sucks the joy out of having something when he realize you could be had better with just a little more patience.

A disciplined budget rig where you understand the limitations is entirely different.

You have to know what the top end is and experience it in of to make the informed decision.

Get out there to a range or competition and meet people that may let him behind some top tier equipment.

Once you experience it, you may be better able to decide what rough to take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads