Have a few questions about durability

This is a discussion on Have a few questions about durability within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Ok , I have been looking at the post here and over at The Hide. Been looking for a scope in the 3-20 and 4-27 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok , I have been looking at the post here and over at The Hide. Been looking for a scope in the 3-20 and 4-27 range (a little stronger is ok but dont want over kill), FFP/MOA reticle with matching turrets. Im running a DTA Covert , 308 16 barrel (with a 22 inch coming in).
    Alot of the scopes I have looked at have tons of nice features. BUT I am planning a trip into a mountainous/ forested area smattered with open areas. The last time i bought a scope (ATN) it failed under abuse. Im looking for something that can take being dropped, siding down a rocky descent, and rough weather conditions.
    I have looked at The
    Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 and NF ATACR 4-16×42 F1*.
    Vortex stands behind their warrenties but it looks like ALOT of people are having to return them from some of the reviews i've read.
    Some of NF's scopes are built for military use, but not certain if the ATACR is, therefore, not sure it stacks up as far as durability. Besides I found their MOA reticle lacking .
    US Optics has a roller coaster reputation. Bad, Good, Mixed. So a bit uncertain about them.

So Im coming here to see what owners here have to say , or other scope suggestions, as long as they are built like a brick shit house.

Any and all input as far as the scopes are concerned is wanted.

Thanks All.

Since you haven't mentioned price range, you might want to check out these at this location:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...QaArTXEALw_wcB

I've got a Gen II Razor with an EBR 2C MRAD reticle. I had it on top of a 700P 308 26". I only dialed elevation when I shot past 900 yds. I used the tree for everything else. I'm getting so used to that reticle that everything else is a disappointment. I shot out the 308 barrel which needed 10.5 mils to get to a 1000 with a 175SMK. That stick now has a Bartlien 6.5CM which only needs 8.4mils to get to 1000 with a 140 Berger hybrid. My range only goes out to a 1000 so no dialing for me for the immediate future.

Bottom line is I don't put the turret mechanisms Thru a lot with my use because of the reticle. I've had the scope for over 2 years and no issue. I like the reticle so much a bought a viper gen II with the same reticle for my .22.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I would vote for a Nightforce.

S&B
    I know of nobody who has purchased a Schmidt & Bender and regretted it. Buy once, cry once, be happy forever.
    Thank you for your continued support.
    If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
    Doug

Camera Land
    516-217-1000

Please visit our web site @ Hidden Content
    Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

Hidden Content

nghtforce is durable.

I have a NF 5-25x ATACR and a NF NXS 3.5-15x and i can attest to the durability of these optics. As stated previously, I’m not sure of your budget, but if you can afford it, you can’t go wrong with either of those NF. Additionally, I would check out their SHV line. Dependent on what your application is, one of those options may fit the bill. Same NF reliability and reticle options for under $1k

Shane those "reviews" about returning scopes is not about the Razor II scopes. Yes some have gone back but so have some NF, S&B and any other companies but the Razor IIs are a very reliable optic. I have had my original for 4 years now and used it in matches and it's still running strong after being banged around a lot. Vortex makes scopes from $199-2500 so their name gets brought up a lot and people lump all in together but that is a mistake. The scope level you are looking at the Razor IIs are very reliable and work well.

The ATACR is another good optic as well. Pick one that has the features and reticle that you like and want.

I personally have a covert that I shoot mostly with the 300 WM 18” barrel, NF ATACR 5-25 with H59, love it!

I understand your concerns about the Vortex, they are a very popular scope, I used to own one. However I think most of the problems were with the pst line and their lower end scopes. I've never owned a Razor so no comment there.

I am bias towards NF and own a few, and never had a problem.

The Burris XTR line is popular and deserves a look.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads