Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 opinions/reviews?

26K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  10ring1 
#1 ·
has anyone used the Althon Ares ETR? glass quality, build quality as good as I have heard?

This guy says it is a better value for the money than the Nightforce NXS and Vortex Razor. Looking to see what you guys think. I am looking for a scope for my 6.5 CM I have a budget of $2000 but would rather not spend that much if possible and still get a good quality scope. My goal with this rifle is to be able to shoot 1000 yards and a mile someday if possible. I am not a competition shooting.

If not the Athlon Ares ETR anyone have suggestions on the best value scope for what I would like to do without going over $2k.

Thanks,

Here is that video I found on youtube.

#6 ·
I honestly could not tell you since I have never owned a Athlon optic. I will say that for under 2k the Razor gen 2 is a great choice, it is a bit heavy at 46oz, Ares is 36oz I believe. Only thing I really saw is the Athlon is made in China and the Gen 2 Razor is made in Japan.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
We have sold hundreds of the Ares ETR,s https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=ares ETR to the guys over on SnipersHide and they rave about the quality. All the feedback we have received has made this scope a best seller. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it
Doug

#26 ·
They are both good quality scopes. I think the turrets on the Athlon would be considered nicer. It really comes down to which reticle you prefer. The Ares ETR has quickly become a best seller. Feel free to give me a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it

#11 ·
IMO the ETR is a superior scope. Optically about the same with better turrets on the ETR a nice reticle and overall quality control of Athlon products are better than Vortex

#12 ·
IMO the Ares ETR is a superior scope. The optics of both are pretty much on par, however, the turrets of the Artes ETR are superior as is the quality control with Athlon vs Vortex. The reticle in the Ares ETR also seems to be a little nicer, but that's a matter of personal preference

#16 ·
Please elaborate on "distinct", do you mean in feel, looks, design? The turrets on the Gen 2 are solid, i suppose thats why they sold so well. OP just remember everything is built to a price, if you want to compare the Athlon to something in the same price range them compare it to a Burris XTR 2, those have years of field use and are proven. https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/

#17 ·
I do not have the Razor HD 2 to do a side by side so I cannot give a fair reply. We stopped carrying Vortex for various reasons a couple of years ago

Reactions: 10ring1
#18 ·
I guess my thing is the Ares ETR is $1200 and the average cost if the Razor is $2000. The guy in the video makes a good point "Is the Razor $800 better then the ETR". sounds like the ETR has a little more power, locking windage but doesn't have a clickless ZERO. Sounds like they bother have great glass, I am guessing that glass in this range of quality is just perception of each of our individual eyes. Other than that they seem to have pretty close specs. Both have the same warranty.

Is the clickless zero on the Razor worth $800 more, am I missing something about the Vortex that makes it worth the addition cost?

#19 · (Edited)
Razor has locking elevation and windage turrets. Big thing I would say is design. I was looking at the features of the Athlon and I am curious about their lens assembly. The gen 2 uses a apochromatic lens assembly, it means the lenses are designed and assembled in such a way to correct for all 3 colors. This is why inexpensive scopes tend to have a yellow or blueish hue to them. I feel its an important feature to have.

Fyi I have no stake in what you spend your hard earned money on. I'm not affiliated with any optics company or store. If you can't justify the Gen 2, that's cool, I just want you to have factual information to make an informed decision.

Let us know what you end up with.

#20 ·
Another alternative might be a Zeiss or Swarovsky at around the 1200 - 2200 dollar range. They are both good glass. I have a Vortex and a Zeiss and the Zeiss is definitely better glass. I have a Conquest V4 6-24 with illuminated reticle and plan to buy 2 more.

#23 ·
We just received another delivery of these, be glad to assist as a supporting vendor here. Please give us a call to discuss it, 516-217-1000.
Doug

#24 ·
I think the ETR would be optically similar, however, the ETR has nicer turrets & superior product quality control. Please see MANY reviews over on SnipersHide and feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it

#25 ·
G'day jrb1979 ,
I'm brand new to the sit,just registered & was looking to post a Q about a particular scope I'm interested in then, I come across your Q.
Well, I have an Athlon 4-14x44 TALOS BTR. I've since had an opportunity to look through an ARES &, to me, they are peas in a pod.
For the money, they are actually quite good for particular reasons but, if your budget is around 2K, don't even think about an Athlon.
Whatever you do, go to the TRACT optics website then, peruse the reviews on YT. These two scopes are not in the same league.
If these scopes continue to live up their new reputation, these will be my go to scope in the future.

Kind Regards................Flangemaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.