Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

In the market for .338 Lapua Magnum rifle

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  EuroOptic 
#1 ·
Good morning folks:
I am new to the forum, enjoy the shooting sports an big game hunting. I am presently in the market for a .338 Lapua Magnum. I am fully aware of the cost of ammo and pounding recoil, however, having a previous 416 Rigby, a 375 H&H and a .338 Win Mag I can take the recoil. That been said, I am looking at a Remington 700 MLR and it seems as a reliable accurate rifle. I am not looking for a MOA extreme accuracy nor at this point consider getting into serious competition, however, I do enjoy long range shooting and metallic silhouette shooting. I have a friend who owns a Barrett, however, I am not looking to spend that amount of $$ into this purchase, I have limited myself to $1600.00 at this point.
Any comments or suggestions on this rifle. BTW I tried the Ruger Precision rifle and that is a monstrosity of a rifle at 15.2 lbs, and I would not buy that model.
Sincerely
Basque1

#2 ·
Last year i went thru the same decision process...i went with savage 110 fcp in 338 lapua mag...10 pounds..priced right..but i did put an 5x25 atacr f1 mil/mil...$3k...its an investment when u buy all the reloading stuff needed...lapua brass at $2.5 per case...purchased 200...have only run 50 or so rounds...have not really spent enough time with it...will go back to range soon...shot 1.5 moa with first batch of smk and retumbo...

#3 ·
I only shot 338 LM with 2 different rifles. Didn't really get to shoot that much 'cause they were not mine. However, I did get some sort of ideas. They were Savage and Armalite AR-30A1. I could immediately tell AR-30A1 was a lot more rigid and controllable than Savage. Accuracy was better, too. Since it's hard to find AR-30A1, you would be shopping online bit more and the price is around $3,000ish. Savage is not that hard to find at a lot lower price, around from $1,200 to $2,000 depends on the model.

Between Savage and Armalite, I'm bit bias towards Armalite on the preference since I shoot AR-31A1T in 300 WM and I really like it. Not just because it's mine, but considering the price point and its performance. Savage is more affordable but there was something quite didn't feel right for me.

If your price is around $1,600, your choices are slim 'cause most of the reputable 388 LM rifle will cost around 6K. Savage, Remington, and Ruger, that's about it I guess.

You can also buy the action from PTG and start build from it. In that case you can control the quality yourself. Then, it will be more like budget minded custom build. Good luck and have fun shopping.

#4 ·
With the weight and cost restrictions that you stipulated, you are going to have to choose from Remington and Savage. I have the original 110BA which is outside your weight limit, but there are other models available now. My rifle is more than accurate with factory ammo and is simply amazing with reloads.

#5 ·
Check out Montana Rifle Co. in 338. I believe they used to run about $1,400 - $1,600. Alas, that was 2 years ago and the pricing may have gone up. Also, do you want a right or left hand action? Consider the barrel length and whether or not it is threaded for a brake or something else..

Good luck.

#8 ·
The closest rifle to check all your boxes would probably be the Christensen Arms Modern Precision Rifle in .338. It is just a little outside of your price point, but I would suggest it would be worth stretching your budget for. We have them listed for $2199 right now. But they will be very accurate and lightweight due to the carbon fiber chassis and barrel.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Christens...05-01.aspx?utm_source=eoic2018&utm_medium=kjp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.