.223 Match ammo (and rifles)

This is a discussion on .223 Match ammo (and rifles) within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I know you don't prefer the .223 for sniping, but with the Army and Navy using them as SPR rifles, and of course some LE ...

I know you don't prefer the .223 for sniping, but with the Army and Navy using them as SPR rifles, and of course some LE agencies using them (not to mention their popularity in varminting/predator hunting and competition), I was curious if you would consider doing a review of some match ammo in this caliber? I'm particularly interested in hearing some results with the Mk 262 Mod 1 77gr from Black Hills, and similar from HSM, Federal, Hornady (the 75gr TAP for LE), and Cor-Bon. I think with the 1:8 and 1:7 twist rates using the heavier bullets, there could be some renewed intrest in this round as a light sniping or DMR round. Waddaya think Mel?

Maybe use two rifles for the test, such as an accurized AR and a Remington 700P (Tac-Ops???) or Savage 12 Long Range Precision Varminter? Be a good chance to hear about a Tac-Ops .223 and get another AR added to the review list (I'm thinking RRA Predator Pursuit, DPMS Mk12, Stag Precision, or Sabre Defense SPR).

Sponsors
    I may end up doing something along these lines.... I have everything all in place for round 2 of the 308 comparison which should happen in the next month or so. Perhaps after that... but there are some other calibers I'd like to do as well. .338 Lapua & 300 Win Mag are a few

MEL

+1 on .223 match, but another +1 on the 300 win mag mel

Erik

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I mentioned .223 as I figured more LE/Mil and Civvies owned these but I know the .300WM and .338LM are more of a "sniping" round than the .223.

Either way, it sounds like there'll be some interesting articles coming up (I love the articles on SC and it's probably my favorite part of the site)!

I know ogre, I realy enjoy reading the articles. Just seems like honest and fair reviews. I like that I dont get the feeling that its biased and trying to sell me something.

Erik

I guess since we're on the topic of .223 ammo, I'd mention a couple rifles that would be neat to see a review on or used in a .223 match ammo comparison...

1. Semi-Automatic
    Sabre Defense SPR or
    DPMS Mark 12 or
    Larue SSS
    (18-20" barrel length with a full length gas system, similar to what the army and Navy use for an SPR)

2. Tactical Rifle
    Tac-Ops 700P .223

3. Budget Rifle
    Savage 10FP .223
    SC Entry Howa 1500 .223

Obviously no one expects you to review your own rifle regarding the SC Howa, but it would make a good choice as a second or third rifle in a match ammo comparison.

Sponsors
    One of the projects on the short list is a budget .223 rifle.... we'll see what comes of it

MEL

Ads