One of the most CONTROVERSIAL stocks ever! - Page 3

One of the most CONTROVERSIAL stocks ever!

This is a discussion on One of the most CONTROVERSIAL stocks ever! within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Originally Posted by SCSheriff Usually people who are well educated take the time to work on there punctuation and grammar :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSheriff
    Usually people who are well educated take the time to work on there punctuation and grammar
    :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Walther P99 9mm/AAC Evo
    Noveske Afghan AR15/WOTAC 4-14/Ops Inc 12th
    Desert Tactical SRS 338/TBD/Tac Ops 338
    Tac Ops Tango/Hensoldt 4-16/Tac Ops 30

The subject is the stock. Like I said, not used by ANYONE worth mentioning. Now, I am not saying that a department in Woodbine Iowa is lower on the totem pole then LAPD. However, they have a tighter budget and have to bargin shop. I will reitterate my comment:

Buy quality, cry once

Ultimate Sniper Stock

Gentlemen,
    I joined this site because it was founded by someone who operated as a sniper. If any of you are complaining about the weight of this stock have never obviousely carried a U.S. Millitary issue sniper rifle. Millitary sniper rifles are designed for function: Accuracy and durability the weight of the rifle is one of the last things to be considered if it is even considered at all. A USMC M40 A3 rivals the weight of most light and medium machine guns depending what optics that you are issued.

I am not trying to make this a pissing contest about who carried what in the line of duty but if you like to fancy yourself a "Sniper" then stop complaining about the weight, bulk and the looks of something and let an honest review of a product be done.
    If you are too weak to carry around your equipment then stay back at the bench and punch paper with your Gucci Kit and keep your mouth shut.

I am not endorsing this product by any means I just want to see an honest review done by someone who has operated as a sniper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Ultimate Sniper Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Chris42683
    Gentlemen,
    I joined this site because it was founded by someone who operated as a sniper. If any of you are complaining about the weight of this stock have never obviousely carried a U.S. Millitary issue sniper rifle. Millitary sniper rifles are designed for function: Accuracy and durability the weight of the rifle is one of the last things to be considered if it is even considered at all. A USMC M40 A3 rivals the weight of most light and medium machine guns depending what optics that you are issued.

I am not trying to make this a :-) contest about who carried what in the line of duty but if you like to fancy yourself a "Sniper" then stop complaining about the weight, bulk and the looks of something and let an honest review of a product be done.
    If you are too weak to carry around your equipment then stay back at the bench and punch paper with your Gucci Kit and keep your mouth shut.

I am not endorsing this product by any means I just want to see an honest review done by someone who has operated as a sniper.
    A buddy of mine has one and he likes it for the price, but he is just a paper puncher. He is also a big guy, real big guy actually. I shot it once and was not impressed with it but I don't like pistol frips on a rifle. To ber honest IMHO you need to feel this one for yourself because everone is diffrent about this stock. It is NOT a McMillan stock but again you are not paying McMillan prices for the thing either. From my limited time with it it seemed sturdy, but i am far from being a trained sniper. IMHO it will get the job done, but there are better stocks out there. I wouldn't buy one because it does not fit me. Before you buy one you need to actually pick one up and see how it feels to you. If it were my choice in that price range I would go with something else.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

choate

I have noticed i a lot of pics that a ton of people on this site are useing the ultimate sniper stock amd again I understand that most of the time it is personal prefrence in the end. I like the way the reviews are done on this site. I am actually considering buying a Choate Tactical Bolt Action stock for my rifle if they come out with one for a Savage Long Action in a reasonable amount of time. I recieved an email from Choate today stating the stock will be available by the end of the month... Lets see if they keep their word. i am expecting to get my barreled action back from Mcgowan back by the end of febuary. If the stock I want isnt available by then I might order an ultimate sniper or a B&C. I used the McMillan A1 and A3 in the Marine Corps, Great stocks, not in my budget right now and like everything else for the price there are better out there.

Cut and pasted from my answer on a different thread about this stock, I thought it would fit in here

Quote Originally Posted by docv_73
    Pros and cons. I'll start with the bad, so I end on a good note, because I ultimately like it a lot.

Cons:

Lots of seams and gaps in the seams, that if it bothers you need sanded or filled before painting

the injection molding around the v-block leaves lots of little plastic fins/tails that should be trimmed

there is A LOT of play in the action, in side-to-side fit of the Stevens 200 (I skim bedded mine in part because of that)

The front action screw in your stock Stevens 200 may not be long enough to tighten down the fron of the stock - or even contact the threads - I had to cut down a longer one made for pilar bedding. This may be due to a bad stock that didn't recess cut in the front pillar area as a QA issue with THAT ONE stock, or it may be a QA issue with their measurement of the front recess being off

It is a v-block - I am not a fan of v-blocks, which is the other reason I skim bedded

The fit at the rear tang, near the safety, was a bit loose - I had to add bedding there just to get the tang to make contact with the stock

The interchangeable cheek welds are only offered in 2 sizes, and the HIGH one is about perfect with low rings - don't what you'll do with med or high rings

with the cheek weld in the middle or front position (you have three front to back placement options) the bolt cannot be removed on a long action rifle - probably OK in the middle for short action, but would still prevent removal in the front position

you can combine length of pull inserts to customize that, but the screws are not long enough to place all 3 at the same time - ok unless you have really long arms like I do

Needs to be primered with a plastic specific primer (i.e. Krylon) for the paint to adhere and wear well

Pros:

It is cheap

light weight - if you like that, or want it for a field rifle...

if not, the grip and the butt stock are hollow so weight can be added - I added a lead-shot and epoxy slurry to fill both compartments, making the finished rifle approach the 20# mark - I like heavy rifles (another discussion there is no room for here)

3 different length of pull insert sizes, which can be combined

2 different cheek weld pieces offering two heights, with three available front-to-back postions

LOTS AND LOTS of great features...

removeable Harris style bipod attachment, so you can have multiple attachments with different bipods to quickly interchange for shooting styles or positions

ambidextrous SIDE sling mounts - I didn't like that at first but the first time I carried it like that I absolutely fell in love with it.

hollow body and grip for adding weight

very comfortable fit and feel

FULL LENGTH aluminum bedding block

injection molded around the block...

allowing it to have integrated pillars

good fit for the thickest barrels and thick untapered match/competion/target recoil lugs

the vast majority of the negatives are very easy fixes, or just minor annoyances

Overall I like it a lot, and as long as you are aware of the negatives, I highly recommend it. The extras make up for the minor annoyances, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY if you are planning to do a skim bedding anyway, it is an unmatchable stock for the price.
    Molon Labe!
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Range Master (head armorer and lead firearms instructor)
    AR15/M16, Remington 700 and Glock Armorer
    Savage bolt & Remington rimfire fan

Re: Tip for pics sherriff ???

Quote Originally Posted by cardfanjc7
    SCSHERRIFF,
    Yes do have a nice collection that took a long time to get, a couple of certain rifles wern't to easy to come by, and would love to post them just cant figure out how. Back to the squirrel,I was a recon force MARINE for 4 wonderful years and it just burns my a.. when some wanab's gets on this great forum we have here ""THANKS TO MEL"" and talks out his butt and try's to put other people down and the equipment they may choose. So I'm sorry to almost everyone if I seamed a lil hostel but those folks that put good hard working people down it gets my blood going,this forum is not for that kina stuff, and as for BRANDO.JOHN mind your business and don't tell people to stop posting,wake up to controversy !!!
    You mean "Force Recon." Four years and you still mess that up? What company, division, location? What years?

Who was your favorite instructor during Phase 1??

We gonna find out real fast if you are a "wanna b".

Also, What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?
    I'm from California, where it's only okay to shoot ten people before reloading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads