Remington Premier Match 175 grain SMK

This is a discussion on Remington Premier Match 175 grain SMK within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Howdy Mele, I know you must be a busy man. But, when you have time, please give us a test on the Remington Premier Match ...

Howdy Mele,

I know you must be a busy man. But, when you have time, please give us a test on the Remington Premier Match 175 grain SMK ammo. On different sites, and on a few threads on this site, this ammo has been mentioned and it looks to be as good if not a little better than FGMM.

Since you are the definitive person here, we would trust your evaluation of this ammo and the components used in loading it. My guess is that Remington is using the new IMR-8208 XBR powder in loading this ammo.

Thanks,

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

I’m intereted in this information as well. Feel like I’m about to step off on a journey seeking the same thing. I have not handloaded for about 20 years and then only for a while with single stage press and a book. Never for precission ammunition. Was set on doing so parting from FGMM in 168 till I shot Rem PM 175 this weekend. Tighter groups (but only fired 20 rds). Ordered 200 rds to check consistency but I’m hopeful it holds. 168 FGMM was less than impresive at 1050 meters. (Two hits out of 20 plus with most landing several feet from +\- 1 moa target (approx. 12”x20” silhouette). Maybe the 175 is my ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    I’m intereted in this information as well. Feel like I’m about to step off on a journey seeking the same thing. I have not handloaded for about 20 years and then only for a while with single stage press and a book. Never for precission ammunition. Was set on doing so parting from FGMM in 168 till I shot Rem PM 175 this weekend. Tighter groups (but only fired 20 rds). Ordered 200 rds to check consistency but I’m hopeful it holds. 168 FGMM was less than impresive at 1050 meters. (Two hits out of 20 plus with most landing several feet from +\- 1 moa target (approx. 12”x20” silhouette). Maybe the 175 is my ticket.
    308 168SMK has issues with long distance because of its boat tail geometry according to a well respected ballistician. I asked about the 168SMK's having problems reaching out in a seminar I attended a year ago and that was his response. I have no problems with 308 175SMK's reaching out. If you're shooting 168's inside 7-800yds you'll be fine. Past that not so much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

So thats the scoop.

Thanks guys. Wondering if anyone has any theories on the powder and measure used by Remington on their .308 premier match 175. I assume Rem brass and primers ( 9 1/2 I think) and of course SMK bullets. I think there was a somewhat “settled” theory that Fed. used IMR 4064 or something almost indistinguishable from it - although some got even better results with varying levels of RL15 or Varget and other IMR powders. Seems like there is a whole “hobby” based around reconstructing or reverse engineering the FGMM 168gr. but not so much the Remington version or the 175gr. Loading for either Fed. nor Remington. Since the Rem 175 look promising I’d like to see if anyone has a good solid theory on the powder and measure as a starting point should I try to hamdload some.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    308 168SMK has issues with long distance because of its boat tail geometry according to a well respected ballistician. I asked about the 168SMK's having problems reaching out in a seminar I attended a year ago and that was his response. I have no problems with 308 175SMK's reaching out. If you're shooting 168's inside 7-800yds you'll be fine. Past that not so much.
    Thanks Martino - what 175 load are you using?

Thanks Martino - what 175 load are you using?
    My 700P liked 43.2GR of 4064 with a 175SMK seated out to mag length(factory barrel), My DT 308 benchmark barrel likes 42.1gr 4064. the Benchmark is a custom barrel so seating depth is irrelevant for comparison to your rifle. I would suggest you do a load development for your rifle. The groups on the targets will tell you what it likes if you do your part correctly. There is a good article on the Primal rights website that goes over load development in detail. It's a fair amount of work in case prep and record keeping/tracking results, but it will pay off.

Ads