AICS Stock Reviews and Opinions..?

This is a discussion on AICS Stock Reviews and Opinions..? within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Fellow Shooters, I've put about 1000 rounds through my SC rifle that Mel produced, and I really couldn't be happier with it. Rem 700 .308 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fellow Shooters,

I've put about 1000 rounds through my SC rifle that Mel produced, and I really couldn't be happier with it. Rem 700 .308 on a B and C Mk II adjustable stock. I just shot three .38 MOA groups today - with 350 rounds since cleaning it, too!

So, I like the stock very much. I have the length of pull almost maxed out, but it's set fine and comfortable.

I've been eyeing the AICS stock, but it's some major bucks and would be a down-the-road purchase. If you look at it this way, it's not too bad: The stock is around $400, and the DBM system is also about $400, so there is some for-sure value there.

If you have any experience with that stock, or have shot one, I'd really love to hear about it and what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance.
    Scotty G

Re: AICS Stock Reviews and Opinions..?

I bought the stock a couple of months ago and really like it. It is a different feel than a standard stock, so I recommend you put your hands on one before you buy, or at least buy where you can return it. Length of pull is short, but not a problem with the spacer system in the back. It is difficult to clean it with the cheek piece in place (but doable). Recoil feels significantly less than with factory stock. Magazine and feed system works flawlessly (much better than factory internal). Chassis is very stiff and plastic sides fit firmly with no play or rattle. I do not like the sling attachments, but H-K sling swivels work. All of the Accuracy accessories look fun, but they are very expensive. I have not bought any of the accessories except for the length of pull kit ($8.00). My pics from when I bought it are on this thread. If you have any other specific questions let me know.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38214
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

+1 to you, ddd. Thanks. Good pics on your other thread. I'm a little surprised the stock panels look the way they do; just a big Revel kit. I have to say, that aspect of it is slightly disappointing at this price point.

Still interested in other views, too. TIA.
    Scotty G

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I think that is why there are not any pics of the inside of the plastics on their site, However, they look alot cheaper than they are. they are def not cheap plastic. I am confident that i could drop it repeatedly and not break it (not planning on trying though). after opening the box and looking at it, i was impressed at how well the plastics worked when it was fully assembled.

another point-- I don't think the aics will improve your groups much over the b&c(?) stock. 0.33 are excellent groups. however it might.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Well, thanks for the kind words.

I'll admit, the BandC stock I have now is great. But there is some of the cool factor with the AICS unit.

I'll have to see if anybody in the PHX area has one I can put my mitts on. I'll bet I would need a spacer set myself.
    Scotty G

Well, I started with a B&C A2 and now I run the AICS with viperskins. I really didn't care for the thumbhole on the factory AICS skins. I went with the Viperskins and the pistol grip style really is great for me. AICS is offering different skins now, I can't speak to those, but I can telll you the viperskins are of superior quality/fit/finish than the factory 1.5 skins.

The 1.5 AICS comes with the spigot bipod attachment as well. I also added the Atlas bipod, which allows quite a bit more versatility.

Here is my SPS tac with the B&C and the Harris bipod:

Same rifle with the AICS 1.5 and factory thumbhole skins:

And now with viperskins, Atlas and H&K sling:

Nice bro. I love it. That is much nicer than the regular skins. I want one!!!

If length of pull is your main issue, here is a suggestion. Get a Limbsaver or Pachmayr slip on recoil pad. It will add some additional length and make the rifle more comfortable to shoot at the same time.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

Overall, I like the feel of the stock but I have run across a few oddball things that irritate me.

The thing that I find strangest in this stock is that they don't have a notch to allow for a smooth fit of an action with a Timney trigger. Granted, they can't cater to everyone but this is such a common trigger that I would think it would be an obvious thing to fix.

Next is the giant front sling swivel stud. It's hard to put a Harris bipod on or take it off and my nice Sinclair bipod won't work with it at all.

The last is even stranger, and that is the use of HK hook sling attachments rather than flush cups for QD slings. Compared to the QD, the hooks are awkward and noisy. I really dislike them. And the position of the rear attachment interferes with the use of stock pack if you have a sling attached.

It is very clear that these are not things that were of any concern when the stock was designed. Granted, in the overall scheme, they are not of any earthshaking importance. But for a stock that is that expensive, it would be nice to have a few options that don't require modification.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

I used a dremel to hawg out for the jewel trigger. I assume the timney is about the same. It is ugly, but doesn't show unless I remove the action from the stock.

I am still working on a rail for the forearm. I am getting close. I have it all sorted out and am just waiting for a drill bit and tap to come in so that I can add a screw hole for the last screw.

I was also looking at the HK loops yesterday. I am very surprised someone hasn't started selling a set of replacement plates that are flush cup instead of HK hooks. I would buy a set in a heartbeat.
    All of your concerns are legitimate, but I have learned to live with them or work around them. Several of these things were fixed on the newer AX stock, but I don't like the whole shape that it has.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads