What kind of rucks does everyone use????? - Page 2

What kind of rucks does everyone use?????

This is a discussion on What kind of rucks does everyone use????? within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; That new stuff looks like the packs we got whenver we went to Bridgeport for cold weather training. Those packs were really comfy. I almost ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

That new stuff looks like the packs we got whenver we went to Bridgeport for cold weather training. Those packs were really comfy. I almost went with one of those instead of the ruck. I don't really know why I went with the ruck but it worked. I wish I could have gone with a nice kelty pack. I had one of those back in the days of boy scouts and thing was so comfy on our hiking trips we took to Colorado and New Mexico.

Sponsors
    I like that charlie pack. I'm looking for a patrol pack... anyone know pricing? Or have other alternatives they like for patrol sized packs?

MEL

The charlie pack is $125 from ADS, only colors available were black and olive though:

http://www.ads-onlinestore.com/Merchant ... HS7AGRU7RU

I currently use the Marauder from Kifaru. I would definately classify it was a light scouting pack with great options. The Kifaru scout pack was used by my buddy on patrols and he loved it. It let him comfortably lay his secondary weapon on top for short duration patrols. He had it rigged with a quick detach sling, was pretty ingenious of him.

The Marauder and scout cost $283 and $174 respectivly.

http://www.kifaru.net/MGhome.htm

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I do have the prototype version they gave to us to try out in OD only though. Looking at up grading to the Kifaru though.

Sponsors
    Well, if you need somewhere to discard the prototype, I'd be happy to take it off your hands

MEL

Quote Originally Posted by mele
    Or have other alternatives they like for patrol sized packs?

MEL
    I have a Lowe Alpine chute II for a "patrol" type pack. Not it isn't a fantastic camo color etc, but it is probably better fit and comfort than most "military type" packs. The backpacking world demands light weight and durability while doing "extreme sports. The civilan world has passed up the military whan it comes to packs. I bough mine at Northern Mountain Supply. Their retail store in where I live, but they do mostly mail order and internet. Look in their sale area, I goy mine for about $40.00 on sale.

www.northernmountain.com
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

This may be a bit off the topic but i do have a good question for you guys. I'm not LE, or military, however, I am very big into hunting. Most of my trips are just day trips and not venturing into the really nasty stuff, well except for elk hunting....but thats a different story. The majority of the time it is deer and bird hunting. Personally i HATE backpacks, and i hate the way they distribute weight. As far as 1 day adventures go, what is everyones opinion of going more with an assault style vest? Granted i wont be wearing any kevlar and the like, nor will i be carrying grenades or M16 clips, however, with the sheer amount of pockets some of these things have i could easily fit everything I need for my typical hunts, rope, compass, extra ammo, sidearm, ect ect. I have also seen a few that have pockets for hydration bladders, which is a huge plus. What is everyones opinion of doing this? As well as how are they load bearing wise? IOW how well do they distribute weight for comfort? I'm always searching for something good to carry all the gear I need that is still very comfortable after having it on all day, as well as being QUIET. Even though im only 21, my back is pretty well shot (compression fracture at L1, bulging disk between L1 and L2, straightening of the spine in lumbar and neck, beginning of disk degeneration, this is just to illustrate the issue at hand) so its tough to find something that will distribute the weight well, and evenly, be very comfortable, and quiet, and i can tolerate wearing it for an entire day while hiking all over gods creation in some less than enjoyable terrain. Thoughts? Suggestions? I have never even been able to try on a tactical style vest so i really dont know how it would suit my purpose

Quote Originally Posted by MTWrangler4x4
    This may be a bit off the topic but i do have a good question for you guys. I'm not LE, or military, however, I am very big into hunting. Most of my trips are just day trips and not venturing into the really nasty stuff, well except for elk hunting....but thats a different story. The majority of the time it is deer and bird hunting. Personally i HATE backpacks, and i hate the way they distribute weight. As far as 1 day adventures go, what is everyones opinion of going more with an assault style vest? Granted i wont be wearing any kevlar and the like, nor will i be carrying grenades or M16 clips, however, with the sheer amount of pockets some of these things have i could easily fit everything I need for my typical hunts, rope, compass, extra ammo, sidearm, ect ect. I have also seen a few that have pockets for hydration bladders, which is a huge plus. What is everyones opinion of doing this? As well as how are they load bearing wise? IOW how well do they distribute weight for comfort? I'm always searching for something good to carry all the gear I need that is still very comfortable after having it on all day, as well as being QUIET. Even though im only 21, my back is pretty well shot (compression fracture at L1, bulging disk between L1 and L2, straightening of the spine in lumbar and neck, beginning of disk degeneration, this is just to illustrate the issue at hand) so its tough to find something that will distribute the weight well, and evenly, be very comfortable, and quiet, and i can tolerate wearing it for an entire day while hiking all over gods creation in some less than enjoyable terrain. Thoughts? Suggestions? I have never even been able to try on a tactical style vest so i really dont know how it would suit my purpose
    I wear one at work all day. There are good and bad points to them. It does distrubute the weight more evenly, and you can thighten it up to give some back support, however it does put the weight in front of you insted of behind you. That may or may not be better for your back, eveyone is diffrent. Aslo on hot days it is warmer than a backpack. If you tighten it down for support it can limit some movement and decrease chest expantion when breathing thus causing you to tire a little more easly. You just have to try one to see if it works for you.

Another idea is to get the old style military pistol belt and put on a butt pack and canteens. that puts the weight on your hips and keeps it off your back. Also cheaper than a quality vest I am sure.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

eka ill have to look into both routes. Thanks a bunch for the good information

Go over to Cheaper Than Dirt or a military surplus store and pick up an inexpensive LBV like you're talking about. Then, of course, try it out! If you like the concept, buy something nicer later. If you don't like it, oh well, you're not out a fat wad of cash for some uber-tactical super elite Special Forces MOLLE vest.

As John said, you could try using a belt system. I'd add a set of suspenders though, as all that weight on your hips will mess up your back after awhile too. Lower back problems are common in cops for this very reason.

Where backpacks are concerned though, I've gotta name drop for Kifaru again. Seriously. You'd be hard pressed to find a better fitting pack. If you can find someone with one to try out, do it! I know they're expensive, but it's worth it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads