What kind of rucks does everyone use????? - Page 5

What kind of rucks does everyone use?????

This is a discussion on What kind of rucks does everyone use????? within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I use a medium size ALICE pack with the radio pouch removed. I use to use it the way it was but after using it ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I use a medium size ALICE pack with the radio pouch removed. I use to use it the way it was but after using it with out the pouch I have to say it is much easier to pack.

I don't use a pack for hunting I usually use a belt and store a lot of my gear in the pockets of my BDU style pants. Works quite well for me. I usually leave my lunch in the truck and bring a bottle of water with me clipped to my belt.

Speaking from the standpoint of someone thats never really carried a pack for anything, what does everyone carry in their packs? Do you use your pack as a range bag or do you have a seperate one? Im not military and I dont have to hike to hunt so im not real sure what one would need in a pack. I am considering getting one to use as a range bag and id like to be able to shoot off of it. Ideas? Suggestions?
    Alabama Wulf
    Speed is fine, but accuracy is final!

Re: What kind of rucks does everyone use?????

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsniperSEAL
    Wanted to see who stays old school Alice or new age Molle????

For me its Molle internal frame ruck issued by the USMC.
    Actually..... The USMC will be replaceing the Acertex ruck with one that is compatable with current a future operational requirments. The Acertex is fine with no body armor. The new one will work with it.

What I think you will see is a system that can adapt from a BIG load and be easily scaled down to an assault pack.

Currently I am issued the Mystery Ranch TactiPlane with NICE BVS frame

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf
    Speaking from the standpoint of someone thats never really carried a pack for anything, what does everyone carry in their packs?
    Well that really depends on the requirment. You should expand on your request. For instance what I carried in 'astan was not the same as what I carried in Iraq. My missions in 'astan were usually protracted and therefore I needed to load more, while in Iraq I carried basics for up to 72 hours. I can say though that when you use a long gun a eberlestock pack usually fits the bill. This was funny because in '04 while in Iraq I usually took my trust BFM loaded with everything I needed fo 72 hours. However there was no space for the rifle. In 'astan I could do a mission with just the bolt gun due to ranges and the likely hood that I would have to go "Toe to Toe" were low so I did not have to carry an M4. This was of course not the issue in south baghdad. Therefore I HAD to carry an M4 in addition to the Bolt Gun. We all used the BFM and asked SOTECH to make a pack that had an internal scabbard center back that could accomidate the rifle. Their answer (and I am sure if I dig back in my emails that far was: "Custom order of 30 at $500 a piece because we don't feel there will be a market"

Bet they are kicking themselves in the ass over that!

I don't really know what you carry but I doubt it is as extensive as mil needs and you probably just need something that will allow you to transport the basics to and from your vehicle or campsite when hunting. If you plan on walking in I would go with the eberlestock skycrane and scabbard. However when I take my yearly trip (when I am able to) to Rifle Colorado for the "Man Trip" I don't like mimiking an operational load out and I use a eberlestock gunslinger with TAG MOLLE 8541 Rifle Rest. The pack is big enough to let me pack just the essentials for the day and maybe 24 hours in case something happens should I get stranded for the night (if it was warm I'd go with their next pack down) Below is a basic load we both carry (Never go ANYWHERE alone in the backwoods)

Pack/Load A (Gunslinger)
    1. 100 oz hydration bladder w/in line filter
    2. Stove
    3. MRE
    4. Accordian fold Ground Mat
    5. Extra Socks
    6. SOF PCU Level 7 Gloves
    7. SOF PCU Level 7 Top & Bottom
    8. Bivey Bag
    9. Vector Laser Range Finders and tripod
    10. 2qt canteen
    11. Air Panal
    12. "Deer/Elk Meat Bag"
    13. Manfroto Tripod w/ centermass inc rest
    14. SOF PCU Level 3
    15. Med Kit
    16. Walkstool XL Portable Stool with Telescopic Legs
    17. E tool
    18. Baby Wipes
    19. GPS
    20. Hand Sanitizer
    21. Ranger Sked (Not to just evac but to tow out the meat)
    22. SPOT Emergency Locator Becon (may not be realistic for all)
    23. Kestral Wind Meter

Pack/Load B (Gunslinger)
    Pretty much the same but I have noted the differences in BOLD

1. 100 oz hydration bladder w/in line filter
    2. Stove
    3. MRE
    4. Accordian fold Ground Mat
    5. Extra Socks
    6. SOF PCU Level 7 Gloves
    7. SOF PCU Level 7 Top & Bottom
    8. Bivey Bag
    9. Spotting Scope and tripod
    10. 2qt canteen
    11. Air Panal
    12. Pullies and line to rig for skinning (only used if we can't get to it with the rino)
    13. Manfroto Tripod w/ centermass inc rest
    14. SOF PCU Level 3
    15. Med Kit
    16. Walkstool XL Portable Stool with Telescopic Legs
    17. E tool
    18. Baby Wipes
    19. Sat Phone (this may not be realistic for all)
    20. Hand Sanitizer
    21. Rudimentary skinning tools
    22. AN/PVS-14 (May not be realistic for all)

Gear worn/carried on body (Common to all) and mind you this is for WINTER in the mountains. it is all worn on the body or sub belt

Clothing (worn)
    SOF PCU Level 5 and levels 1 -3
    Boots
    Gloves
    Beenie
    Eye Pro
    Ear Pro

Gear (We just throw it all on a RACK body and sub belt)
    Pistol w/3 mags
    pen flare
    signal mirror
    eye pro
    IFAK
    Day/Night Flare
    Compass
    K-Bar
    Multi Tool
    Flashlight
    Strobe
    Map (I use Falcon View to print them out prior)
    M24 Bino's
    Hardened Palm with ballistic program
    misc items ("Lickey Cheweys", dip, batteries)

I know some my not apply to you but you can adjust it

That is definately an extensive list. I dont think some of that stuff applies to me tho. After looking up some of the stuff i wasnt familiar with (like the level gear and such) I think Id be dead from heat stroke in the middle of the winter! lol! It just doesnt get that cold here. Our low this winter was only 19 deg F. But I can definately pick out a lot of stuff I hadnt thought about for a pack.

I didnt see anywhere where you mentioned primary weapon ammo or M4 ammo. Im assuming you carry more than just the 5-10 rounds the bolt gun will hold. Do you just toss a box in the pack or use an external MOLLE pouch? How much extra do you carry for say a 48-72 hour mission? I do like the idea of 3 mags for my 1911 cuz we have a lot of armidillos and coyotes to kill on our property. I dont think id get a shot on a Coyote with the 1911, but dillos are kinda dumb. lol!!
    Alabama Wulf
    Speed is fine, but accuracy is final!

Also missing from his list is squad/platoon/team level gear. Extra ammo for belt fed and or morter weapons, NVG, Special mission gear ie door breaching devices, bolt cutters etc. (k-12 is my favorite) and a few other things. The term "light infantry" is a long running eveil joke the army has.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Quote Originally Posted by ekaphoto
    Also missing from his list is squad/platoon/team level gear. Extra ammo for belt fed and or morter weapons, NVG, Special mission gear ie door breaching devices, bolt cutters etc. (k-12 is my favorite) and a few other things. The term "light infantry" is a long running eveil joke the army has.
    heh heh heh..... I have a since of humor too

Back to you bloodwulf regarding your question.

I the levels I wear on the PCU is made for when you are moving about and is fine and also keeps you reasonably warm when riding in open Rhino. I really don't want to go into exactly what I pack not because it is opsec but because it really is mission specific. I assume you are not rolling on a mil op so that is why I put down my hunting load.. not to heavy but just enough "Ah $h!t" kit to get you through the night. Also I did not list any M4 stuff because I really don't have a need for it when in Colorado on a hunting trip. All I carry is a side arm for protection from things with claws at close range or a "Coup de Gras" on a deer/elk (Though I have not needed this due to my OUTSTANDING marksmanship skills LOL). As for primary weapon system ammo for my bolt gun (In the afore mentioned scenerio) we usually only pack a 20rd pouch. I really don't expect a "Haji in the wire" scenerio when hunting and really don't like packing it when I have a vehicle to do it for me.

When it is my time off I subscribe to the "No pain, no pain" theory. I have no interest in my time off in playing operator as I do it most of the time for real. Like I said, What I listed was based on a light day load. No need to carry it all unless I am going into the backwoods for a long time. And i must restate that I do that enough at work so I am not really interested in doing it during my time off when I would rather drive around in a Rhino, walk to a FFP take my shot, gather the meat, drive back in the Rhino and sit in large tent or lodge around the fire and tell sea stories with my buddy. The ONLY time I have ever humped a sustainment load equivelent to my heaviest mil load was on a hunting trip to Kodiak, Alaska where I augmented the afore mentioed weapon systems with a Benelli M4 and slugs for bears that may get a bit friendly.

My suggestion on a rig is decide "What and Where" you are going and get a system that accomodates it.

Rucks

My battalion commander tasked my platoon to field test the MOLLE system that the battalion was useing prior to our deployment to afghanistan in 04. As members of a Marine Corps SSP we generally carried our own gear tailored to our needs we werent particularly thrilled to be voluntold to wear the MOLLE stuff we usually kept in the origional box in our wall locker.

The of 7 days in the field and Combat Town at Capm Lejeune:
    7 broken plastic frames
    2 ripped main compartments
    many broken buttons and clips
    and 1 total gear meltdown caused by a hot 240 barrel

Our battalion commander ended ug getting the whole unit Alice Mountain Rucks.

My personal prefrence is my own ruck. I used a borrowed Blackhawk ruck with a metal alice frame upgraded with ISO-Mat and riggers tape on a couple missions. I liked the pack but found that there were way too many pockets for me.
    My personal favorite is my mountain ruck with 4 inches of extra material added to each side giving the circumfrence an extra 8 inches total with cinch straps ttighten up any extra space that is unused. you can fit a small family in there.

I think the most important parts of the pack are the main compartment and a metal frame.

New/Old school Malice w/ the super strapes and pad. Get a lot of goodies in this bag. There is so many pockets that you will find it have to not have a place to put everything.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/malice...rsion2kit.aspx
    Dont run you just die tired.
    ΜΟΛΩ

OK Im kind of a gear freak ...especially on packs, in the end though I always scale to down to less is more.

Im not a sniper but was attached to a platoon as a turret gunner in Iraq and asked a lot of questions about who liked what gear and why as well as just observing what people were using...since the LT in charge was all about using the best and had a few contacts (IIP and some recon supply unit buddies) as well as being a mustang.

The new guys fresh to the platoon used old school alice rucksack, anyone with more than one pump spent the extra and got a MALICE pack. I didnt see any other frame packs but these except for one LBT large ruck. All in all the MALICE ruck had great reviews from all the guys...so did the LBT...the Alice rucks were thought to be ok but wore out fast and had a lot of tears at stress points (problems the TT and LBT models covered) Also many went with the old school alice frame modified with duct tape and a lot of dust tape...since frames seemed to be broken easily and the duct tape and sleeping pad helped to add a cheap comfort option.

As far as gear that the LT was able to acquire...the eberlestock gunslinger 2 was well liked for any medium length missions with a long gun as well as the eagle industry 3 day assault pack for shorter scout or strictly mounted missions..a few guys had different brands they liked camelback and blackhawk being a few for the smaller packs. The Lt had a kifaru (not sure which) which he let me try out back at the FOB and I have to say...If you got the money its a sweet comfy ride.

I had the Arcteryx internal and while not a horrible pack without a flak it worked better as a 'load your non essential mission gear pack' and I borrowed someone else's old alice ruck or used my camelback for shorter missions.

I took a look at the MR NICE set ups and they look pretty amazing...way out of my price range for a pack though...especially transferring to the civy side where I can carry a cheaper lighter just as good gear for the job inventory.

For the poster with the back problem...I would look into either the camelback hydration vest since you could evenly distribute weight and add a pistol belt or a good lumbar pack with a decent waist strap.

Definitely like most have said...pick what you would carry for where you are and base your pack needs off that. One thing I used to do for choosing a pack before the military was put all my gear in standard kitchen garbage bags. Take a rough estimate of the measurements and weight with a bathroom scale and the bag size in gallons and do the math to find out the cubic inches and weight. I would then go and research packs in that range and when I got to the store I would load up all the gear I had listed into the chosen packs and see which was most comfortable.

Of course I do so many different activities in different areas and temperatures I have as many packs as I do guns and knives though not all are military.

Hope this helps a little, I know it was kinda long winded sorry about that...just excited about contributing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Ads