What kind of rucks does everyone use?????

This is a discussion on What kind of rucks does everyone use????? within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Wanted to see who stays old school Alice or new age Molle???? For me its Molle internal frame ruck issued by the USMC....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Wanted to see who stays old school Alice or new age Molle????

For me its Molle internal frame ruck issued by the USMC.

Molle gear sucks. After one field op the fram broke on me. There isn't near the amount of storage that the old Alice rucksack has. After a while our company allowed us to use whatever gear we wanted so I swtiched over to the Alice ruck and never looked back. When our molle packs had a full load the frames usually bent in half. When the USMC got the molle gear it was a mistake that shouldn't have been made. But that's just my opinion.

BlackHawk SOF RUCK

It's bigger, stronger, more efficient, and the choice of the warrior elite. The BHI SOF Ruck is HydraStorm® Hydration System Compatible. It features ten gear pouches with cinch draw strings and quick release buckles on the lids.

-Made of 1000 denier NyTaneon®
    -Cinch top inner liner for rain/gear protection
    -HydraStorm® tube routing system and easy external access pouch
    -Fits standard A.L.I.C.E. Ruck Frame (not included)

Approximate Weight
    5lb 14.4oz.

Dimensions:
    23 x 10 x 14
    inner main compartment
    Cubes: 3220 - main compartment 5825 - with pouches and main compartment

The nice thing about this ruck is when I want to drop some weight or leave something behind all I have to do is take some of the pouches off. I have had this ruck for a while and put it through alot of abuse like ruck runs, floating it etc. It's a good ruck one that will last you forever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: What kind of rucks does everyone use?????

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsniperSEAL
    Wanted to see who stays old school Alice or new age Molle????

For me its Molle internal frame ruck issued by the USMC.
    I still kick-it old-school with an ALICE for jumps, but I have a Tactical Tailor MALICE2 that I deploy with. Not that I ever live outta my rucksack anymore...
    De Oppresso Liber

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell

I have 2 Dana Design packs. One is an external for large loads, the other is internal for short light trips. That is if I got my fat a-- into the hills anymore.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate4469
    Molle gear sucks. After one field op the fram broke on me.
    What an interesting connection to make...That's like me saying, "all cars suck because my Chevrolet threw a rod."

Just which make/model pack are you judging all MOLLE gear by anyway?

There isn't near the amount of storage that the old Alice rucksack has.
    Again, I'm not sure how the heck you can be so bold to say something like that. You're comparing two different things: storage capacity and organizational capability. I can list several MOLLE packs that have WAY more storage space than the large ALICE pack. The Kifaru EMR and MMR come to mind, and I'm sure a few other gear whores here can list one or two too.

But that's just my opinion.
    And you're allowed to have it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you MOLLE is the best thing since sliced bread. But you're comparing things that cannot be compared and making false assumptions, then proceeding to preach to the rest of us how MOLLE sucks.

For what it's worth, I have many packs, including ALICE rigs, civilian rigs and some Kifaru, Tactical Tailor, Eagle, BDS/SOE, Spec-Ops and Camelbak MOLLE gear. After doing much backpacking with big, open compartment bags like ALICE and some civilian packs, I have found that MOLLE affords a considerable amount more flexibility, organization and even spacial expansion capability--something other packs can't really do very elegantly.

Granted, this would be considered my opinion by some, but it's pretty much fact. I'm sorry if you had bad luck with whatever it was you had, but you'd be hard pressed to tear up a pack by a good manufacturer using 1000 Denier waterproofed Cordura nylon, Delrin extreme cold/heat-proof buckles, all double and triple stitched together using 92F thread sealed with waterproof binding tape. Add to that, a good manufacturer like most of those I listed above, will have a lifetime guarantee.

From what you've said, I highly doubt you had gear from any of my above listed manufacturers. And no, Blackhawk doesn't cut it if that's who you purchased your pack from. Most, if not all, of Blackhawk's stuff is made overseas and very often with lesser quality materials.

You should try out the new Marine Corp MOLLE pack. tons better than old one and uses a internal frame.

I had whatever MOLLE gear the Marine Corps gave me. I think I got the 1st and then later we swapped out for the latest MOLLE system junk later on. I wouldn't buy any pack that was going to be used for tactical operations that had a plastic frame. With the amount of gear we were required to take with us it just wasn't a wise choice of material. Don't get me wrong MOLLE is great because you can customize where pouches and things go but for me that's about it.

Recoil My opinion is based on the gear that the Marine Corps provided for me. I used the MOLLE gear over 2 years before we were able to choose our one gear systems. The frames constantly broke, and there was never enough space. Also with the daypack sitting on top of the main gear bag it made it very difficult to lift without help. Not great things when getting shot at or not near anywhere to get things replaced.

And I'm not preaching to anyone. I'm stating that I think MOLLE gear that I used sucks, as it did for me. So need to try and come off all high and mighty. I'm entitled to my opnion no matter how bold or wrong you think it is. I think I spent enough field time with my gear to know what worked for me and what didn't, and the MOLLE stuff didn't. :wink:
    **But I guess I can forgive you since you're from Iowa and I used to live there.** :lol:

And I'm not preaching to anyone. I'm stating that I think MOLLE gear that I used sucks, as it did for me. So need to try and come off all high and mighty. I'm entitled to my opnion no matter how bold or wrong you think it is. I think I spent enough field time with my gear to know what worked for me and what didn't, and the MOLLE stuff didn't. :wink:
    Ah, but you didn't state that just the MOLLE gear you used sucked, you said all MOLLE gear sucked:

Molle gear sucks.
    See?

And because of that blanket statement, I made my response--that it is categorically untrue that all MOLLE gear sucks, and that you cannot judge the entire design based on whatever crap you had, and that you should try purchasing a rig from a quality manufacturer like Kifaru. Buy yourself any Kifaru pack and report back to me that it sucks. I challenge you. And if you do tell me it sucks, I'll soon show you a liar who doesn't want to lose a bet. :wink:

So, if you don't want me coming off "high and mighty" (I can't help it, I'm big and strong :lol, say what you mean and mean what you say...And especially don't compare apples and oranges. :P

For what it's worth, the stuff the Marines gave you was probably first generation MOLLE. In other words, MOLLE was still new and experimental. This is just a guess though, as I don't know when you served, however as it's been said above, the modern rendition of MOLLE packs--both civilian and military--are significantly better than early versions (assuming you buy quality merchandise).

**But I guess I can forgive you since you're from Iowa and I used to live there.** :lol:
    Hehe, Iowa ain't so bad. Granted, it's not my favorite, but after having traveled to 75% of the states in the Union, I can confidently say that Iowa is definitely in the top 10% of places to live when comparing the people, job market, housing costs, taxes, laws, and general standard of living.

Having said that though, the wife and I are planning on moving to Montana in a few years so I can legally carry a sawed-off shotgun in a thigh rig around town (just kidding :wink: :lol.

Here is the new USMC ILBE rucksack. The only problem was with the patrol pack. If carrying a Prc-119 and gear you don't have the room and if your ruck was maxed out with crap and your patrol pack as well. Then putting on the pack made it very interesting. But the main pack itself is very nice. I would bet Kifaru could make a better one though.

Main Ruck http://www.arcteryx.com/leaf/tango_pack.asp

Patrol Pack http://www.arcteryx.com/leaf/charlie_pack.asp

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads