.300 Win Mag reload

.300 Win Mag reload

This is a discussion on .300 Win Mag reload within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I've been reloading for 35 years or so, had and interesting question for y'all. I had loaded a box of ammo for my 110 BA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy .300 Win Mag reload

I've been reloading for 35 years or so, had and interesting question for y'all. I had loaded a box of ammo for my 110 BA Savage in 300 Win Mag, 200 gr. Sierra Match BTHP with 70 gr. H4831SC. This is a new gun with less than 100 rounds through it. I had been forced to use Winchester Mag primers prior, due to avail. issues:-(, with less than great results. I had 4 duds in 40 rounds. I finally got some of my favorite Remington primers and loaded up a fresh box and shot yesterday. I walked away feeling pretty good with a 5 shot 3/4" group at 100 yards, this is still the first load I have tested. I was loading up some more this morning and discovered I had used regular primers not the Magnum ones. Question is: How much does the mag vs std primer really affect the round?

Another big variable is powder type. Some powders will not reliably ignite without magnum primers. My favorite load in the 300 WM was a 180 gr. Bullet with 80 grs of H450 and a Fed 215 primer. Sadly, they discontinued this powder soon after I worked up that load. This load clocked at 3000 fps with an extreme spread of 5 fps. I think that is the lowest ES of any load I've come up with.

Whole crap I've never got a ES spread less than 8 through 10 rounds. Desert Ghost nice work.

Elk Sniper, I would go with what works. Load a few with the Magnum primers, if your not getting any better results it really doesn't matter. Someone once told me that the difference between regular primers and magnum primers was not only the initial charge but also the hardness of the detonation point. IDK, but thats what i heard. If you figure it out please post it as I'm sure we are all curious.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Unhappy

Well...I went ahead and loaded the same load with the Remington magnum primers. The accuracy was good, but I had 1 more dud. I am beginning to wonder if I have a firing pin/spring issue. Love the gun and the accuracy but...

Check the firing pin protrusion. On a new gun, the spring shouldn't be an issue. Also, take out your firing pin and clean out the inside of the bolt body, make sure it's not full of cosmoline or something.
    Last edited by desert ghost; 03-01-2013 at 10:25 PM.

I haven't had any more issues with duds, maybe it was just breaking in. I changed the load a bit an went to 70.5 Gr. H4831SC with a 200 Gr. Sierra BTHP Match bullet with the 9 1/2M primer. I shot four shots, the top one was the cold bore shot. The hole under it was the next 3 shots. The total 4 shot measured about 3/4". The 3 shots below were .410" edge to edge, subtract the single hole diameter, .282, would be about .128 MOA. Not bad for old eyes.

Elk Sniper , what COL did you have ? and have you ever stretched it out to get closer to the lands as you can do on the 110BA ?
    I just got mine and am trying to come up with a load !
    Thanks

Cappy,

I was Elksniper in my former life, my account was hacked and all my log in info went away. Anyway, I do stretch them out, with the 200 SMK is load to 2.507", I am also shooting some 190's now and with the change in bullet shape, they are 2.545" Each chamber will vary so make sure you are not just using my measurements, check yours for your gun. That is the cool thing about that long box magazine, you can match the COL of the round better to your gun. Good Luck.

Kenny

I worked up a load for my savage 110 Ba with 230 Bergers. I loaded H1000 with both mag and regular CCI primers. It shot .45" with the regular primers and 1.1 with magnum primers. My 180 accubonds with H4831 shoot .65 with magnum primers I never tried them with regular but maybe I should for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by elk sniper View Post
    Well...I went ahead and loaded the same load with the Remington magnum primers. The accuracy was good, but I had 1 more dud. I am beginning to wonder if I have a firing pin/spring issue. Love the gun and the accuracy but...
    That's what I was thinking. If you have too much headspace at the shoulder, you can lose the firing pin too. When I first got back into reloading, after 35 years, I did not understand head-space and my 700BDL in 308 could not be closed with many of my reloads! Eventually I realized I was backing off the resizing die rather than tightening it one/4-or-so turn after contacting the shell holder. Problem went away but later, loading the 6.5-284 and using a head-space gauge, I couldn't get the Redding die to go far enough to satisfy the gauge. One of the guys at Redding told me to load for the chamber rather than the gauge. You want to start with the shoulder tight; then lower the die until the bolt closes smartly; then you're correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads