7 Rem Mag vs 308

7 Rem Mag vs 308

This is a discussion on 7 Rem Mag vs 308 within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Hey I'm new to the sight and I am having a problem choosing a new elk rifle. I elk hunt in Wyoming and have chances ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 7 Rem Mag vs 308

7 Rem Mag vs 308

Hey I'm new to the sight and I am having a problem choosing a new elk rifle. I elk hunt in Wyoming and have chances to shoot decent bulls but am not comfortable with my dads old .270 win past 350+ yards at an elk. I have decided between the 7mag and the .308 any input would be nice. Also there is very heavy wind where I am at. Thanks.

Wow. Those two rounds are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I would be choosing between 7 mag and 300WM if I were considering a magnum. A 270 will actually have better ballistics and more energy as a round than the 308 if you can find a round that will shoot accurately in the gun.

7mm is flat shooting and has a good selection of bullets, but flat shooting is not as important past 300 yards in my opinion because you will need to set the scope anyway. 300wm with heavy bullets will buck the wind well. 308 would work, but would be at the low end of energy for what I would choose for elk hunting.
    scrmblr1982cj8 and Orkan like this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Banned
    7mm for sure.

And, yeah, choices should be 7mm vs. .300 WM

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the help. The reason I was thinking of a .308 was so I can shoot antelope and deer with out totally destroying them like the 300WM.

This being a long range forum as opposed to a hunting forum, you may be a bit more limited in what you get for answers. I really don't know how many hunters are represented here. I'll give you the little bit of knowledge I have on this.

There are some calibers that can be used for wide variety of game but once you get into the larger game like elk and moose, it may be hard to find a caliber that can do that well and still be used to deer hunt (see below for what I don't know about this). If you are a really good shot and are close enough, you can hunt big game with a .308. Heck, hit an elk in the right place with a .260 and it will go down, but that's a really risk shot. What you really need is a lot of kinetic energy when the bullet hits and that's what magnum calibers provide.

That's pretty much it in my knowledge when it comes to hunting. But I'm also pretty sure that there are a lot of different ammo choices these days for some calibers that are useful for different jobs. Whether or not that is the case with the 7mm mag, I don't know but it's worth looking into. Perhaps that caliber can be made to be much more useful.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

338 Winchester Magnum

I have both and anything under 600 yards both calibers are very good for elk. Past 600 yards or so I would prefer the 7mm. The 7mm Rem mag is my favorite all around hunting bullet.

You can take an elk with a 308 the one thing that is going to come into play is propper bullet weight and bullet design. you want something like a trophy bonded bear claw that is going to be good expansion and maximum bullet weight retention that way as it hits the Heavy Muscle and heavy tissue of the elk it maintains its weight and doesn't break apart then when you go to hunt something like a deer or an antelope you can choose a lighter bullet with a higher level of expansion because the tissue will be softer. Also consider with a 308 having less muzzle energy than a 7 mm or a 300 Win Mag your shot placement will be more important as you do not want to waste the terminal energy of that round. Personally with a 308 a 175grain bonded hunting bullet would be my minimum for an elk.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunguy308; 07-20-2016 at 07:41 PM.
    Jayhawk1986 likes this.

We have big elk here and everybody uses 308. This one was in my front yard Sunday. Winchester super X 185 grain.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469161053.602323.jpg
    Hypo and Gunguy308 like this.
    Know yourself, know your weapon, know your enemy.

I want to ask what is the barrel diameter of Remington 700 sps .308 win?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads