Muzzle brake - Page 3

Muzzle brake

This is a discussion on Muzzle brake within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Any chance your hitting the brake? I've read that there should be very little change in poi....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Muzzle brake

Any chance your hitting the brake? I've read that there should be very little change in poi.
    Know yourself, know your weapon, know your enemy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    Any chance your hitting the brake? I've read that there should be very little change in poi.
    No chance.. The id of the brake is .25-30 over, and looking at it, there is no damage what so ever.

Wonder what's going on? 1.6 mil is close to 5 / 5.5" at 100 yards, if I'm doing the math right. Is it straight vert drop? As in huge speed velocity loss? I can't wrap my mind around that much drop at a 100 yards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GMinor View Post
    No chance.. The id of the brake is .25-30 over, and looking at it, there is no damage what so ever.

That sounds like a lot. Couple of thoughts on why. First is that the weight of the brake is changing rifle balance enough to change POI due to different reaction under recoil. Second would be a change in barrel harmonics. Nice stiff barrels don't notice extra weight at the muzzle as much as others. Shifting weight with bipod position (if used) or adding some weight in the buttstock may be an option.

If handloading, may require a new workup for the "with brake mode" and the usual for "without brake". Every rifle is going to be different due to all the variables involved. Total weight, barrel length/weight, Stock, Bedding, Weight Distribution, Ammo (bullet weight/speed), Shooter position, etc. No way to say absolutely that a brake won't change POI.

Banned
    It is a lot. BUT, the proof is in the pudding right? I ran an OCW yesterday around what I thought was a good load. Turns out, 43.5 grains of Varget was a pretty good load, but 43.3 has less vertical dispersion and still fit the good load parameters IAW the OCW method.

Anyways, velocity was the same as before, no baffle strikes, accuracy seems to be unaffected, just that huge POI shift. I'm pretty sure it was just a barrel harmonics type thing, especially since the brake weighs quite a bit and is sitting at the end of a 26" factory 700P barrel.

The pudding: heading to a LR match this weekend. If I don't come in in the top 3, the brake is coming off and that is that.

adding weight: not an option, the rifle is at the upper limits already, weighing 17 lbs +

GMinor, every rifle I have, with a brake, has a 2 - 3 in. shift when the brake is installed or taking off. The SPS Tactical AAC-SD that I had re-barreled, before it was re-barreled, had a 7" shift in POI to POA. But there was something wrong with that barrel. Wouldn't group under 2" at 100. 1,000 + rounds of every bullet type I own, two different powders and tweaking everything every which way I could and it wouldn't improve. Put the Bartlein barrel on it and wallah 1/4" groups at 100.

I wish I had found these brakes two yeas ago. I was looking for a good clamp-on for my 30-06 sporter barrel but couldn't find one. I had the barrel threaded. Since I re-stocked it I don't use the brake anymore. Would be nice not to have the threads / thread protector on the end.

I'm thinking about getting one of thees for my .223 bold gun just for $$$it's and giggles. We'll see!
    Last edited by JerrylM; 12-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Liberal; someone that is so open minded their brain has fallen out.

Banned
    Yeah, if anything it was worth the $$$ for the real world lesson in barrel harmonics. The military discount and free shipping didn't hurt either.

Anyways. It does as advertised and it reduced recoil. Will have a better report than that on Sunday or Monday.

Banned
    Anybody want to buy the brake?

rifle is going to the smith for a new tube and I won't need it anymore.

Its ts profiled for a factory 700p SPS v barrel

Lol. Somehow, no thank you.

My 26" sps-v dropped 4" at 100 when i screw my 1lb suppressor on. Anything on the muzzle changes the harmonics and therefore the poi. If you watch a high speed video of a barrel whipping, then you will understand why something at the end will change poi. It is amazing how much the barrels move.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Ads