Muzzle brake

Muzzle brake

This is a discussion on Muzzle brake within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Hello, Gizmo here. I was in the market for a muzzle brake for my .300 Win. Mag. I talked to a gunsmith who promptly told ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Muzzle brake

Muzzle brake

Hello, Gizmo here. I was in the market for a muzzle brake for my .300 Win. Mag. I talked to a gunsmith who promptly told me $300.00.
    A little more than I was planning to spend...I found a place on line called Witt Machine, that manufactures clamp on muzzle brakes.
    His price was $89.00. I sent him the measurements of my barrel and in just over a week it was in my mail box. A very well made,
    solid stainless steel piece that with shipping was right at a hundred bucks. I installed it. The next day went to the range, recoil is
    greatly reduced, as well as muzzle jump. Not only that. I shot a 3 shot group at a hundred yards that I can cover with a penny.
    It seems that not too often in this world today that you get what you pay for, but in this instance I certainly did. I would
    definitely recommend Witt Machine's clamp on muzzle brake to anyone who looking for a lower cost muzzle brake....
    Bolt Action Man and Dinoz like this.

Thanks for the review. I was looking at those. Got any pictures you can share?
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Just type in Witt Machine in your browser, he has all the info you need with pics......

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I bought a clamp on Witt Muzzle brake for my 7rm Frankenstein build. It is very effective. Some that are shooting to close to me say to effective. I would say that the felt recoil was reduced by greater than 60%. Granted at first I was shooting a stock Savage 111 and it felt like a hammer hitting me in the shoulder everytime I pulled the trigger. With the brake installed it was like a light loaded .243 at most. Ken is really good guy to deal with and has given me a lot of helpful information on my first gun build. So for a low cost investment with good return I would highly recommend this product.

Banned
    Just got off the phone with Kent(?) over there at Witt Machine. Nice guy, I was ready to pull the trigger on it, when I decided to give them a call and ask about a military discount. Kent was quick to take care of me right over the phone and said he expects to have the brake shipped out by Friday. Well, for a made to order machined part, that is a pretty short window (depending on how busy he really is).

I will be sure to give a report on felt recoil (which is already pretty low) and the ability to stay on target through the scope, which I can do, but would like to be able to do easier.

I know you are going to like the way the muzzle brake works. I was at the range last week, and there was a guy next to me shooting
    some kind of target 22 rifle, he said every time I shot when he was trying to aim his rifle my 300 mag would blow his little 22
    2 feet sideways. ( exaggeration). I had to chuckle to myself.....Gizmo

Banned
    I don't like the way it looks, but function trumps form most times.

For or the price, and reversibility, I guess you can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I know you are going to like the way the muzzle brake works. I was at the range last week, and there was a guy next to me shooting
    some kind of target 22 rifle, he said every time I shot when he was trying to aim his rifle my 300 mag would blow his little 22
    2 feet sideways. ( exaggeration). I had to chuckle to myself.....Gizmo
    You'd be amazed at what just a bullet "wake" will do to .22 rounds. I was shooting the other day with extremely still air. Absolutely NO air movement at all and fog settling int that obscured 200 yard and 300 yard targets.

Another shooter had set up about 6-7 wind flags (weather vane type). To kill time I was shooting at 100 yards and my target was about 6 feet away from his line of fire. Every shot would make his wind flags change direction. Considering the weight of the wind flag pieces, that's a fair indication of what your 300 win mag bullet would do to a .22 in flight, especially with a brake.

Banned
    Update.. It is November 10th and I FINALLY received the Witt Machine muzzle brake that I ordered on September 30th.

Anyways, I guess they lost my order somewhere so when I brought it up, kent refunded 1/2 the $ and rushed the brake through.

First impressions are that it is a quality item, and the cerakote looks pretty dang good.

I mounted it following the instructions provided, and used a pretty good amount of blue locktite. There was quite a pit of play when the brake was under no tension, so because of that, it kind of made it a pain in the ass to time. Any ways, after verifying my rifles action was level, I timed the brake and winched it down. It did not come with a recommended torque value for the cross bolts so I just used my German torque wrench and got the guten tight..

Will check out performance next time I am at the range (obviously) and report back. Since my rifle already weighs in at 17+ lbs I suspect that recoil will be eliminated (with in reason)
    NorCalFocus likes this.

Hey G, Just to clear it up his name is Ken Witt. A little more info on the type of person he is and company that he runs. I bought my clamp on brake for my stock 7mm rem mag savage 111 with a sporter barrel. I have used it now for about 7 months. I ordered a new barrel 2 months ago and while on the phone talking with Ken I told him about my barrel change and I will getting a 1.050 straight taper and he is going to make me a new brake and let me exchange my current one for the new one with no cost. IMO that is pretty impressive. Even though he has offered it for free I am not sure if I am going to do it as I think I want to go with a threaded brake on my new barrel. My current Witt brake is really big and that is with a .56" width at the muzzle. I can't imagine what it will look like with a 1" diameter barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by GMinor View Post
    Just got off the phone with Kent(?) over there at Witt Machine. Nice guy, I was ready to pull the trigger on it, when I decided to give them a call and ask about a military discount. Kent was quick to take care of me right over the phone and said he expects to have the brake shipped out by Friday. Well, for a made to order machined part, that is a pretty short window (depending on how busy he really is).

I will be sure to give a report on felt recoil (which is already pretty low) and the ability to stay on target through the scope, which I can do, but would like to be able to do easier.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Ads