looking for a barrel

looking for a barrel

This is a discussion on looking for a barrel within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Hello. I am looking for some input on rifle barrel brands. I'm looking for something in a stainless heavy barrel in 308 Win caliber 26-28 ...

looking for a barrel

Hello. I am looking for some input on rifle barrel brands. I'm looking for something in a stainless heavy barrel in 308 Win
    caliber 26-28 inch to go with my Remington Model 1917 Enfield action. It would be purely for shooting paper at up
    to 500 yds. Barrels are an area that I am pretty unfamiliar with and sure as you know what,if just go buy one, I'm
    going to hear "Why did you buy that brand? They're crap" So like I said, any input will be appreciated.....Gizmo

I'll toss in a suggestion for Benchmark. Just rebarreled my 5-R Milspec with one of their barrels and couldn't be happier. I went with the 5C rifling and a Sendero like profile.

As for how it shoots? After working up a load for this barrel 100 yard groups hold less than .3 MOA. Same for groups at 300 yards if I get the wind read right. Also holds accuracy from cold to hot. Yesterday, after 40 rounds the vertical dispersion at 300 yards was less than .200" and horizontal was a straight line, spread out by wind gusts up to 20 mph.

Barrels are only part of the problem. If you get a barrel that was properly drilled, reamed, rifled, and stress relieved, now it's up to the Gunsmith to do his part in chambering it correctly and installing it right. Action, stock, trigger, optics/mounting, need to be correct. And the last, usually weakest link in the chain, the shooter.

Those who are usually the first to holler "those barrels shoot like crap" often don't want to admit that they're part of it as well.

FWIW, I have an old 1903 Springfield with a barrel dated 10-42 that shoots 3/4 MOA with handloads. The action and barrel mounted in a custom stock. By all rights it SHOULD shoot like crap, the barrel doesn't seem to know that though.

Banned
    You cant go wrong with Bartlein or Krieger.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GMinor View Post
    You cant go wrong with Bartlein or Krieger.

Or Shillen, Lilja, Brux, Hart, Schneider------ Get the picture.

Just remember, 75% Indian (shooter), 25% Arrow (barrel)

McGowen for the price turns out great barrels.
    I have four of them and they all shoot great.

Hey, Thanks for all the input.. I realize that a barrel is not going to make me shoot sub m.o.a. but the right equipment certainly
    cant hurt. Right now I shoot a stock ( except for Witt muzzle brake) Weatherby Vangaurd 300 win mag. and have 100 yd groups
    that I can cover with a dime, and I'm still working on loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Hey, Thanks for all the input.. I realize that a barrel is not going to make me shoot sub m.o.a. but the right equipment certainly
    cant hurt. Right now I shoot a stock ( except for Witt muzzle brake) Weatherby Vangaurd 300 win mag. and have 100 yd groups
    that I can cover with a dime, and I'm still working on loads.

The thing about barrels is that they all pretty much shoot good for the first few shots in a string. What sets a great barrel aside from just a good barrel is the ability to shoot well for 100 rounds or so in a day.

As a great barrel heats it doesn't change it's characteristics as much as a merely "good barrel" and this all goes back to the metallurgy of the blank, the drilling, etc, and the stress relieving. If you have a barrel that has merely been "straightened" by someone using a hydraulic press and their eyeball, you will never have one that shoots consistently over time.

Old saying worth repeating: "If you want prime quality oats be prepared to pay more for them. If you're willing to settle for oats that have been through the horse already, they're cheaper". Barrels are the same, quality costs.

My "go to" comp barrels are Bartlein, Brux , Broughton, and Krieger.

Another vote for Benchmark. We've tested a whole pile of them in the last year. Not a single one of them hasn't shot better than 1/2 MOA. Most find handloads in the 1/4-1/3 range with several producing true one-hole groups. Obviously that is as much of a testimonial for TS Customs as it is for Benchmark.

Thanks again,,,,,,

Ads