Magpul Model 700 hunter stock - Page 2

Magpul Model 700 hunter stock

This is a discussion on Magpul Model 700 hunter stock within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I really want to see this stock put through the paces and see how it performs. This could help a lot of us, who are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Magpul Model 700 hunter stock

I really want to see this stock put through the paces and see how it performs. This could help a lot of us, who are entry level. But I don't want to waste money either.
    str8shot likes this.

As good as their products are im sure they did their home work. I dont see them putting out junk to the consumer. Fortunately for me, you short action boys get the first crack at it.
    str8shot likes this.

Sorry to necropost but I was just curious to see if anybody has gotten to really shoot this stock at all? Most of the comments on the board are older or from before the stock was released and almost every review online seems to just be an overview of features or an unboxing style article. I was considering one for my .308 because of the low cost, but really I'd like to get peoples opinions on whether or not it would be better to save up for a McMillan A5 or A4 or go a different direction with a HS take off or a B&C. As far as my application, I'm new and shooting at 100-200 yds but I'd like something that will stick with me out to that coveted 1000 yd mark (many years down the road I imagine). Ok so maybe not out to 1,000 but maybe 600-800?

Thanks,
    Joshua
    Remington 700 ADL .308
    26" varmint 1:10
    Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-10x50, Leupold Dual Dovetail Mounts and Rings
    Kydex Cheek Riser

Mossberg MMR AR-15 5.56
    16" @ 1:8
    15" Troy MLOK handguard
    Magpul MOE SL grip+buttstock
    SigSauer Romeo 4 Red Dot
    Troy battle sights

Ruger 10/22 Carbine .22LR
    18.5" @ 1:16
    Magpul Hunter X-22 LOP 14.5" with medium cheek riser
    Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X40 on weaver rail and rings
    Volquartsen extractor, target hammer, and bolt release

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If you want a stock you will be happy with for years then go with the mcmillian adjustable stock. If you want a stock that will make do for now then get the magpul. There is a vast difference between the two quality wise.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    If you want a stock you will be happy with for years then go with the mcmillian adjustable stock. If you want a stock that will make do for now then get the magpul. There is a vast difference between the two quality wise.
    I suspected as much. Was looking at the a4 and a5 but after a call to mcmillan, they're closer to 700-800 bucks with some adjustability built in which is way way over my stock budget (website shows them closer to 500-550, which is still a little pricey for me). Just curious--have you owned the 700 hunter? I wonder how long it would be before I outgrow it (still pretty new to the sport). thanks 007 for taking part in the revival of this old and moldy comment thread.

Joshua
    Remington 700 ADL .308
    26" varmint 1:10
    Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-10x50, Leupold Dual Dovetail Mounts and Rings
    Kydex Cheek Riser

Mossberg MMR AR-15 5.56
    16" @ 1:8
    15" Troy MLOK handguard
    Magpul MOE SL grip+buttstock
    SigSauer Romeo 4 Red Dot
    Troy battle sights

Ruger 10/22 Carbine .22LR
    18.5" @ 1:16
    Magpul Hunter X-22 LOP 14.5" with medium cheek riser
    Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X40 on weaver rail and rings
    Volquartsen extractor, target hammer, and bolt release

i have one and i am very impressed with it. it's light and rigid, the vblock bedding works great, heaps of barrel clearance, no foregrip flex when shooting bipod, mlok's are cool and easy. i use Accurate mag's in mine and they feed, fit, retain and eject nicely.

as somebody said earlier in the thread exceptional value for the money.
    Remington 700 CDL SF 7mm-08
    ~Shilen Premium Matchgrade Barrel
    ~Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 Scope
    ~Trued Action
    ~M16 Extractor
    ~1/4" Recoil Lug
    ~Brownells Ultralight Firing Pin
    ~Magpul Hunter 700 FDE SA Stock
    ~Magpul Hunter 700 DBM Kit
    ~Accurate Mag 5rd Magazines

Yes. I have owned one but I never had a rifle in it. It just doesn't come anywhere near to the quality of the manners stocks that I am used to...but it is nowhere near the cost either.

If it is all you can afford then try it for a while and see...or save your pennies until you can afford what you really want. I have never been sorry for saving and buying what I really want...but sometimes it can take a while. The magpul will sell for probably 80% of what you give for it anyway so you are not losing much if you upgrade later.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I have a hunter 700 on my .308 with a 26 inch barrel. The bedding is great, everything fits together really well, magazines feed and insert like they should. I've had much nicer stocks, in the 500-800$ range, (never any chassis stuff) and this does everything that those did. Unless you are going full chassis, this will do everything you ask of it. Because of how this one did, I bought one for my .22 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Fully adjustable stocks should come with a warning.
    You will never be happy with a non adjustable stock again.
    ddd oo7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim37 View Post
    Fully adjustable stocks should come with a warning.
    You will never be happy with a non adjustable stock again.
    X2 on an adjustable stock. I tried add ons to my factory 700P stock and never got happy with them because they were a PITA to adjust. I went the chassis route and never looked back.

The other thing you may wish to consider is whether the stock design forces your trigger hand to be in the correct position for proper trigger pull. Some stock designs do this better than others. Take a look at the primal rights website article on ZERO FORCE Firing position. I believe it's called. I believe that article goes into the importance the rifle fitting you amongst many other things. I myself have to go back and reread the article every so often. It's long but it's a good one.

Moral of the story is I tried to save a few bucks, but after I got the chassis..... No Regrets. If DDD says the McMillan Adjustable is tge way to go, look at it. Ease of adjustment was one of the things that helped me ding out to 1000. I fell into a deal on a chassis that I couldn't pass up. My .02

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads