LE Stock and Optic Suggestions for M-14

This is a discussion on LE Stock and Optic Suggestions for M-14 within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I am looking at updating our stock Government issued M14's to something a little bit more user friendly. The full length wood stocks are great ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggrumpy10757

Thread: LE Stock and Optic Suggestions for M-14

I am looking at updating our stock Government issued M14's to something a little bit more user friendly. The full length wood stocks are great but are not ideal for our DM's on patrol. I'm looking at possibly getting new tactical stocks that will allow for optic attachments as well as a picitiny system. For optics I'm looking for a decent mid range optic that is compact and works will for mid range DM work. Any Suggestions or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. Being small town government funded, cost is something that will need to be considered. Not looking for anything super high-speed just something that is a little bit more practical than the Vietnam standard issue.

AT, interesting . An observation, does your city or County understand the liability associated with a .308 in patrol cars. You mention a city govt. so I'm thinking you a Police OfficerVSDeputy Sheriff. I'm all for the .308s, just question the wisdom of allowing officer not trained in precision shooting to daily, carry the m14. Then to add that I wouldn't call the m-14 a real presision shooter, out of the box. Some of the new stocks, may tighten up the rifles abilities, but that's a gamble.

Im not trying to dis you, just trying to understand the rationale for carrying M-14s in a police unit.

PC

Pussycat, I understand your stance. We have precision rifle instructors within our department, and of the the 60 officer's within our department only 6 carry the M14's. 2 of which are the SWAT Snipers. However we also have our bolt guns as well. My patrol car is basically a rolling armory it seems. However, all officers that are selected to field one of our 14's is recommended based off of performance on duty as well as in training, the chief then has to give his approval. Before any of the officer's are allowed to field one of the 14's or any other weapon system they have to first qualify on the weapon system. Every qualification course is approved and recognized by the state council on education and training (CLEET). Some states have POST certification (same concept). So I would say yes we have considered the legality issues. As for differing between City and County, we are the main hub for our county and have mutual aid agreements with our county as well as some of the surrounding counties to assist upon request.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You may want to look at a National Match (NM) m14 set up. Krieger barrel, NM op rod, NM iron sights. Lug and bed in new stock. Same set up I shot out to 1000 yrds in High Power matches, very accurate but may be overkill for your use. Just my 2 cents.
    SatCong likes this.

@ggrumpy10757, I'd love to be able to just drop what I want into these but unfortunately we will be pretty limited on what we can get due to our budget and what not. I've shot these factory M14's out to 1000 yds this last Oct. Wasn't easy, took me about 10 shots before I heard the steel ring, but I got on target with Iron Sights. I had another sniper buddy spotting and calling my shots for me and I was completely bagged in.

I would try for this stock and rail with an ACOG or Elcan for an optic. I don't know what your budget is but the m14 platform is not cheap to outfit properly.

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan...al-stocks-m3a/

https://troyind.com/products/m14-battlerail-blk

~Ben

Ads