Choosing a Kestrel

Choosing a Kestrel

This is a discussion on Choosing a Kestrel within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I am interested in buying a Kestrel device for long range shooting. I have been research the- -4000/4500 Series -5000/5500 series - Sportsman - Elite ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tna9001

Thread: Choosing a Kestrel

Choosing a Kestrel

I am interested in buying a Kestrel device for long range shooting.

I have been research the-
    -4000/4500 Series
    -5000/5500 series
    - Sportsman
    - Elite Applied Ballistics model

I want a model with LINK (Bluetooth) and plan on using it in tandem with either Applied Ballistics, or Ballistic AE (my current calculator) on my iPhone.

I am finding that many of the models that measure the full spectrum of atmospheric data come with ballistic software installed in the Kestrel device, which is not necessarily for me because I plan on using it with my smartphone. They also carry a high price tag.

Can anyone suggest a model that has:

1) all the atmospheric measurement features

2) LINK (i.e. Bluetooth),

3) but does not have the redundant ballistic software installed?

- and hopefully reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the minimum one you need is the 4000nv (or equivalent as I believe It got updated)

That's what I havem
    Joseph "Rhyno"

In my opinion...I would buy the AB model even if you have another calculator. It is so quick and easy as it automatically takes all of the atmospheric conditions into account and just feed you the holds. I don't think link is absolutely necessary but it is nice. I would rather have AB than link. Link is nice because it allows you to leave the kestrel on a bipod and continually see the readout on your phone.

I have the elite with AB and link and do not regret my purchase.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

The problem with using a phone or iPad is, the battery dying(the Kestrel uses replaceable batteries), the phone/iPad getting hot in the sun and overheating, 10-15 minutes to cool before use and the phone/iPad getting wet or broken. Also, if your in an area without cell reception you can't download weather data, which is a sub optimal deal anyway since it's not local weather.

Spend the extra $300, it's worth it.
    Last edited by tna9001; 10-01-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    ddd oo7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tna9001 View Post
    The problem with using a phone or iPad is, the battery dying(the Kestrel uses replaceable batteries), the phone/iPad getting hot in the sun and overheating, 10-15 minutes to cool before use and the phone/iPad getting wet or broken. Also, if your in an area without cell reception you can't download weather data, which is a sub optimal deal anyway since it's not local weather.

Spend the extra $300, it's worth it.
    That's why you have a kestrel with link for weather data.

Also the batteries are replaceable on my phone, and it sounds like AB app doesn't work on the iOS platforms anyways.
    Joseph "Rhyno"

I use the iPhone 6 plus and the latest IOS and my AB app works just fine. For those who have yet to do the latest upgrade it may not yet work.

I'm using the Kestral 4000 with Bluetooth. The Strelok pro app syncs with it to automatically fill in the environmental data.

Rem 700p .308 26"
    Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Mrad
    HS Precision stock
    Rem 700sps Tac .308 20"
    Magpul Hunter 700 with DBM
    Waiting on optics
    Rem 700sps .308 26"
    Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C Mrad
    BC A3 stock with Wyatte DBM

Banned
    I just went through this very process. I was looking for something less expensive but after looking found you get what you pay for. I went with the 5500 without link or ballistics software. I initially was going to order the 5000 just to save the extra $50 but, and I hope it works I decided to spend the extra because the 5500 is suppose to give wind direction and if you have ever tried to read a wind meter while spinning around to get it to face into the wind you will understand and the 5500 has the electronic compass. I will say it took me awhile to pull the trigger on $320 for a meter that I could have done without. I have a thermometer with humidity and a wind meter and a smart phone to calc density altitude but it was such a PITA. I did not go with the ballistics software because the cheapest one was only good to 800 yds and did not include all the compensations so I would have to have gone for another $300 or $400. I usually shoot at known distances and click for elevation so my cheat sheet gives me that info and hold off for wind and figure the wind at my location is only a rough starting point since the wind down range is almost always going a different direction and most meters and programs have a delayed read out which means everything will change before I get an update and am able to adjust. Shooting at a range at targets this seemed the best compromise, if I was a real sniper or in the field making long shots at unknown ranges I would not have scrimped and gone for the extra $400.

I second that. #5700 is worth the extra coin. Plus it can converse with Wilcox RAPTAR-S with firmware upgrade.

Ads