Great BiPod and Great price - TipTop - Page 3

Great BiPod and Great price - TipTop

This is a discussion on Great BiPod and Great price - TipTop within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I'm not in favor of the Chinese stealing technology. I picked up a Harris knock off bipod at BP, it didn't have notched legs. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Great BiPod and Great price - TipTop

I'm not in favor of the Chinese stealing technology. I picked up a Harris knock off bipod at BP, it didn't have notched legs. I got it before I joined this forum and read some of the reviews on pods. What a POS that knock off was. If you hand tightened the legs, after about 4-5 shots, one of the legs would let go and I'd have to retighten it again. I spent $300 or so on an Atlas. It's a good piece of equipment but I think it's price point is a little high compared to the Harris units. I may have to try a notch leg Harris if I get another one at about half the price of the Atlas I got.

We do live in a global economy and the failure of our business owners to adapt to that fact will hurt the US in the long run. I believe that between the Chinese workers requiring more leisure and some of the new tax incentives included in the recently passed tax act, will give US businesses a fighting chance to compete in the global market place. It may require US workers to retrain to utilize more efficient means of production. The alternative is hoping for a job utilizing tech from a bygone era, the prospects of which are poor at best.
    Last edited by Martino1; 02-06-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtc-nova View Post
    Nothing to humor here.
    Buy it and you will see it for yourself. I did buy both and ended with 2 of them.
    I have no need, my Harris bipods have worked flawlessly for years now. I can assure you they support far more than 22.

I have never heard of this company and so far you've been the only person I've heard to endorse/mention their name. Furthermore I have no hands on experience with these knock off bipods besides seeing them in gun stores. You claim to of had a Harris and so I'm wondering what differences you experienced with them. Because thus far you've described to me a Harris, that's not made by Harris, not made by a company I wish to support, and more expensive.

I see no reason to buy one for myself.

An open mind means a lot!
    Being happy with a product does not mean that any other product can not be better or cost less and have same quality!
    GTC
    Your Life = Your Terms

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gtc-nova View Post
    An open mind means a lot!
    Being happy with a product does not mean that any other product can not be better or cost less and have same quality!
    Cost less and same quality, as what, a Harris bipod that you described as "The Harris looked very skimpy, almost like for an air rifle or at most for a .22 Cal." No thanks. You lost all credibility when you talked crap about a product that frankly has been the standard for a long time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Tim37 and ddd oo7 like this.

Normally I'd Agree With Most of You But

I came upon this post while looking for accessories (feet) for my TipTop bipod. So yea, I was a little buthurt when I read all the negative comments but, I also realize that If I wasn't familiar with it (the TipTop bipod) I'd be right there with you guy's since buying anything from a foreign country if I can find a similar product "Made in the USA" is a big no go for me. My two vehicles are Ford, an F-150 and a focus both bought new. Even the majority of my clothes are bought from the "All American Clothing Co." I could go on and on about how I always check where something is made before I buy it and if I have to purchase something not Made in the USA I default to a country where the labor force is paid similar or better that ours (as well as other considerations) or how China is one of my last choices for a multitude of reasons but, that isn't all my post is about.

First My TipTop bipod Model# S9N-94688 is not a cheap Chinese knock off. Like the U.S. company Peleton (company that makes TipTop) told "canuckienns" it's a high quality product like other products made by American companies that have the manufacturing done in China. Although I hate Apple for a bunch of reasons and have an LG V20 smartphone made in South Korea (a better choice on many levels) So even if I thought the TipTop was a knock off and I half (but only half) way do, I'd have to say its a quality American knock off, made in China. Optimal, of coarse not but, a lot better than "cheap Chinese knock off".

Why I half way think it's a knock off:
    First is the obvious. Just look at it. More specifically the way the main springs attach to the main body and the legs. It doesn't get more "Harris" than that! The main body is extremely similar as well.

Why I half way don't think it's a knock off:
    This boils down to the differences. The legs are thicker, the springs that deploy the inside legs (the notched portion) are inside the legs and not as vulnerable to debris.
    The TipTop comes with a larger swivel lock/release lever that in the case of my TipTop also locks the horizontal pan feature that Harris does not have on any bipod. My TipTop also comes with a built in QD rail attachment not a rail adapter for a sling stud. Lastly I doubt Peleton (TipTop's Maker) infringed on any Harris patents as those expire with time and with good reason. Without patent expiration innovation would become stifled. Imagine a world where no one could compete with the original maker of the TV or a agitation type washer etc. There are lots of products that look similar and perform similar tasks. Thank god patents expire.

Why I chose the TipTop over the Harris:
    First off I wanted a Harris. The fact that it's Made in the USA and it's battle proven are extremely important to me. Besides the Trijicon TR23 5X20 scope that's made in Japan the rifle the bipod was for (my LR 308) was put together with 100% US made parts and accessories. The problems I encountered were Harris does not make any bipods With horizontal pan feature or a rail mount. in order to mount on a rail you have to use an adapter which means you now have two points of attachment one on top of the other (3 if you have to add a rail section like I did) A native QD rail attachment just seemed like a bettor option. You know keep it simple stupid. To be fair LaRue Tactical does offer a Harris in which they cannibalize a Harris BRM-S merge it with their mount and you end up with a bipod that at this point Harris should be making in the first place. That would solved one issue (keeping it a close fit between the rail and bipod) plus it came with a nice big swivel lock knob but, still no horizontal pan.

The only way to get all the features I wanted was to add a bunch of extra parts and it still would have had too many attachment points, not been as low profile between the bipod & rail and it would have had two separate lock levers for swivel and pan.

I was ready to give up on horizontal pan feature and go with the LaRue/Harris bipod and was having a hard time on deciding on 6-9" or 9-13" when I read a very positive review on a TipTop 7-10.5" bipod (I had never heard of them before nor was I looking for anything not made in the USA) Not only did this seem to be the perfect height (and it is) for my rifle w/25rd mag but, it had every option I was looking for. I searched for more reviews on the TipTop and all were positive but, nowhere did it mention where is was made only that it was an American company. This was a red flag for me so, I also called up and found out it was made in China which is why I took another 3 weeks before I bought the only bipod that offered everything I wanted.

Bottom line: This is a great high quality bipod with the height and all the features I wanted, one of which is the Harris style. It still bugs me that it says TipTop on the side (thankfully its hard to see) instead of Harris but, what bugs me more is that for as long as people including the military have been mounting these to picatinny rails Harris still refuses to make models that natively do that. Just a thought!

Anyway since this is my first post here so I hope I didn't come off sounding like a jerk because I get why ya'll feel the way you do, I just don't (completely) agree

Below is a picture the rifle the bipod is mounted on.

This Rifle was built (by me) from a LaRue 7.62 (NATO) Ultimate Upper Kit w/20" Barrel (the kit contains everything including lower parts/trigger except the actual lower. Which is a 80% arms DPMS style aluminum lower)
    Replaced the LaRue stock with a LMT DMR stock W/Accu-Shot Precision Rail Mount Monopod on a Yankee Hill Machine 3 Slot Picatinny Mini Riser
    Replaced buffer spring with a Sprinco spring and the buffer with one made to custom weight with KAK Configurable Buffer Kit. Also some other KAK lower parts more suitable to a DPMS lower.
    A Trijicon TR23 AccuPoint 5-20x50 Riflescope W/LT204 LaRue C.A.N. QD SPR Mount and US Optics Rail Mounted Swivel ACD (Anti Cant Device)
    Troy Di-Optic Aperture Front & Rear Sights
    BCM Gunfighter Low-Profile Q - D Sling Mount, BCM* KeyMod Rail Panels and LaRue IndexClips on hand gaurd
    And of course the TipTop S9N-94688 W/Notched Legs, Quicklock, EZ Pivot & PAN and QD Rail Mount

1228180222.jpg

Well written and well spoken. Many of us here tend to qualify made in China gun parts and accessories as junk, and so many are. I am sure that some good stuff gets lumped in with that. I just bought two bi pods at a swap meet last month for peanuts. One was a typical Harris junk knock off and the other is a real well made and well thought out beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckienns View Post
    Many of us here tend to qualify made in China gun parts and accessories as junk
    Yea, well so do I and for good reason because when it's made by and for a Chinese company it is junk 99.9% of the time. But a lot of times when It's made in China for an American company it can be pretty good as long as the American company has someone paying close attention to the manufacturing process and quality control. But even then I'd rather spend a little more and buy American if I can get what I'm looking for. In this case I couldn't.
    In 1776 the British demanded we surrender our weapons...............We shot them.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by canuckienns View Post
    Well written and well spoken.
    Thanks
    In 1776 the British demanded we surrender our weapons...............We shot them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads