Bulk 300 Win Mag ammo, New Rifle

This is a discussion on Bulk 300 Win Mag ammo, New Rifle within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Just purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 300 win mag, put that barrel on the newest Accuracy International AX chassis and threw a 6x24 Viper ...

Just purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 300 win mag, put that barrel on the newest Accuracy International AX chassis and threw a 6x24 Viper Vortex scope on top. Experimenting with different brands and grains now but I am wanting to make a decision soon so I can buy it consecutively in bulk. I don't want cheap, dirty ammo but I also want to shoot a lot without spending a small fortune. From only shooting a few boxes, how is Hornady's ammo overall? I was shooting the American Whitetail rounds (180 gr) but haven't bought a lot of their product in previous calibers.

Winchester over Hornady?

Seems Hornady is better than Winchester from what I was reading online. Looking to buy 500 at a time but cannot find a site that sells over 200 per order. Might as well buy 150 grain over 180 for target shooting, correct? Know any sites to find 500 rounds of Hornady?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Reload. Reloading will help have your rifle reach close to the maximum potential.

I plan on getting into reloading. Hornady seems to keep my attention. Do you think if I buy some bulk 150 grain rounds they would be decent enough brass casings to reload? I have heard that Winchester makes stronger brass but that Hornady ammo is better. Or should I start shooting something completely different? Still experimenting with boxes.

Currently, I am using Federal cases. They seem to be working well for me. However, I don't remember hearing much complain about Hornady or Winchester brasses going bad, so you should not be worrying much about them. I would love to try the mighty Lapua later, when I run out of Federal case, but the price is holding me back.

For 300 WM, you should pay more attention to the primer pocket than entire brass being stronger. Most of the time you will end up throwing away the cases for the loosen primer pockets than any other reasons. I anneal cases in about every other firing. Helps working with the brass and prolong it, including better the accuracy little, but I can't really do anything about the primer pocket.

Just buy whatever the bulk ammo that gives the most consistency. Save the brasses and use them when you are ready to reload.

I have a 300 Sako and it grouped well with 180gr Core Loks. Mine never liked any brand of 150's. I'd get a variety of brands and weighs and let the targets tell you what to buy in bulk. If you're going to reload, my experience is that Federal brass doesn't hold up past 4-5 reloads. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    it grouped well with 180gr Core Loks. Mine never liked any brand of 150's.
    Me too. I did tried out other weights of bullets, killed a lot of barrel life I guess, and found 180 gr SMK with most accuracy. Right now, it shoots one ragged hole with 5 shots in 100 yard.

I did tried to duplicate MK248 mod 1, but the load was become too hot for me. Success for military not so success for civilian. Duplicating exact copy was bit risk for my rifle and dropped the load. When I get the free time, I would love to try with 210 gr SMK instead.

Sounds good. I will get some Hornady boxes at 150 and 180 grain to see what groups better. Thank you.

Ads