Magnetospeed sporter barrel mounted chronograph review

This is a discussion on Magnetospeed sporter barrel mounted chronograph review within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I took my 6.5 creedmore P.O.F. revolution (20" barrel) to the range today with 3 different types of box ammo and a brand new magnetospeed ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gpark09

Thread: Magnetospeed sporter barrel mounted chronograph review

I took my 6.5 creedmore P.O.F. revolution (20" barrel) to the range today with 3 different types of box ammo and a brand new magnetospeed sporter chronograph. The goal was to figure out how to use it and get some baseline data on 3 different types of box ammo I have been using.
    Trying not to look like a complete idiot at the range I did a test fit of the chronograph on my rifle per the instructions and measured everything out to make sure it fit correctly. I got to the range and fired 3 shots with no readings. Double checked the settings and tried the hi sensitivity setting at which point it gave me error code 2 (twisted cable). No twisted cables here so I tried hi sensitivity setting 2 and got error code 6 (too much noise).
    At this point I switched out the rubber spacer that comes installed on the unit with the thicker optional one and put the unit back into normal sensitivity mode. Fired a shot and got error 2 again so I increased sensitivity to setting 1. Fired a shot and got error 1. Took a close look at the unit and noticed a slight lean due to increased thickness of the barrel where the muzzle break is mounted. To accommodate for this I tucked some of the excess mounting strap between the barrel and the rubber spacer on the back side. Fired a shot and got my first actual reading. The results are as follows in the order they were shot in;
    Hornaday ammo-

American gunner - advertised speed 2690
    2676, 2664, 2696, 2684, 2674, 2695, *2646, 2672
    Average 2780 standard deviation 16 extreme spread 32

ELDM - advertised speed 2710
    2694, 2696, *2742, 2689, 2690
    Average 2692 standard deviation 4 extreme spread 8

ELDX - advertised speed 2700
    *2707, 2732, 2721, 2733, 2719
    Average 2726 standard deviation 7 extreme spread 14

Oddly enough in each of the 3 batches I had 1 round that was way out of the ballpark of the others. There was no pattern to the order it popped up so I am guessing it is probably a misread by the chronograph. As a result I omitted those 3 shots from my calculations.

Pictures are of the final working set up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by engineer837; 04-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.

I've got a magspeed v3 and I've noticed a few outliers but I never took them out of the calculations. I think that 5 shots is a bit light for a good analysis. I usually use 10 shots to get my numbers when doing a load development. For a truly statically significant sample I believe you should have a sample of 40 or better if I remember my statistics correctly. That said the 10 shot runs has worked for me.

Be sure that you have the bayonet on tight not insane tight but pretty snug. I have noticed greater variability if the unit is too loose. Use the spacer bar tool to make sure you're within the opening of the bore is within the spacer bar provided so that you are close enough to get an accurate measure without getting a bullet strike. The other thing I noticed is that factory loads have greater variability than my hand loads. I compared my 6.5CM eld 140's and 147's compared to my 140 berger handloads and it was pretty significant. I use a Chargemaster 1500 as a powder throw and use a RCBS 505 bar scale as a double check. I use a Reading trickler to get the load fine tuned.

That said you numbers with the eld's are pretty good although I'd feel better if you had 10 round runs that we were looking at.

I've used the Magneto v3 for a few years or so with satisfactory results. However, that one flier out of a perfect group really annoyed me over period of time. I believe, since it's being strapped directly on the barrel, it does interfere with the barrel harmonic. Also, it did have the con side which I had to verify the group size and adjust POI by taking it off adding one more step.

So, I sold it and replaced it with the LabRadar, cost me little more coins. Now I can measure the speed and verify the POI at the same time. What can I say, longer I reload greedier I get on the gears.

Anyhow, the Magneto was very satisfying purchase and I believe it's one of the best options for a chronograph.
    Last edited by gpark09; 04-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    Martino1 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Not sure what you were doing to get all those error messages as I have had my Magnetospeed V2 for years and never had an error. They are very accurate and if it gives you a number than that is what the number is. We tested the Magnetospeed in a class we gave against a Oehler set at 15 feet and the biggest difference in readings was 9fps from close to 20 students shooting over both chronos at the same time.

I would say play with it more and you will get more used to the way they work and how to set it up on the rifle.

Also factory box ammo velocity numbers are for their test barrel at a specific barrel length. Being different in your rifle is not really a problem. That is why you chrono so you know you have the right numbers of what the ammo is doing in your rifle.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely run more ammo for a larger sample group. As for the poi shift. With the chrono mounted my point of impact was about 1" down and 1" left of center, roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by engineer837 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will definitely run more ammo for a larger sample group. As for the poi shift. With the chrono mounted my point of impact was about 1" down and 1" left of center, roughly.

I don't shoot for groups with the bayonet attached. I use the chrono to figure out what speed to put into my ballistics ap. If I'm getting bug hole groups and single digit SD's, I'm pretty sure my range card will need very little adjustment if any.

I don't shoot groups with it attached either. I use it to check velocity and spreads on a load that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    I don't shoot groups with it attached either. I use it to check velocity and spreads on a load that works for me.
    Same here . . . for when I have to attach it to the barrel. But when attached to the hand guard or stock, where it has not effect on POI, I'll use my Magnetospeed pretty often in order to collect as much data for my dope and to track just what's might be going on with the loads as I fire them.

Mines always gave good readings as well

Ads