The Home Armory: Loading the .223 - Page 2

The Home Armory: Loading the .223

This is a discussion on The Home Armory: Loading the .223 within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; The Dillon Swaging tool The Dillon Swaging tool consists of a metal rod that holds the cartridge case. The operator lowers the metal rod so ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Home Armory: Loading the .223

The Dillon Swaging tool

The Dillon Swaging tool consists of a metal rod that holds the cartridge case. The operator lowers the metal rod so that that primer pocket will engage the primer pocket swager. And when you lower the operating handle, the primer pocket swager will enter the primer pocket and swage away the crimp.

This Dillon tool comes with swagers that will swage away .223 crimps and .308 crimps. Make sure that you follow the instructions and use the right swager.

The first time I used the swaging tool, I damaged the case, but play around with it and very soon you will be swaging primer pockets like a pro. You will love this tool and in short order you will be swaging cases in very rapid fashion.

Once the primer crimp is removed, you are read to prime your cases.

Mad.

Next Step: Priming cases. ( To follow later tonight)

Hold the Press: Jeff Dorr just explained that Widener's has CCI military primers for the 5.56mm. So order your primers from Wideners.

Meanwhile, let's talk priming. Before getting ready to prime, wash your hands again. Do not go near primers if you have greasy or oily hands. Grease or oil will kill primers.

Use an RCBS hand priming tool to prime your cases. When you hold the tool in your hand, you squeeze a lever. When you squeeze the lever, you force a primer punch to push upwards on a primer. As the primer is pushed upwards, it will seat home inside the primer pocket of your case. Use firm gentle pressure to seat the primer home.

Do not use any sudden pressure. Just gently and firmly seat the primer home. And you will learn the correct "feel" of the primer as it seats home properly. The RCBS hand priming tool has a magazine that can hold up to 100 primers. I usually just fill the primer tray with 30 or so primers.

After you prime your cases, you will have some perfectly sized, trimmed and prepared primed brass ready to charge with gunpowder.

Mad.

Charging your brass:

Before charging the brass with gunpowder, get out your bullet seating die. Screw the die into your press and raise the ram of your press. Take a dime and adjust the die so that there is a dime's worth of space between the die and the shellholder when the ram is raised.

Back off the bullet seating stem. Take a factory loaded round and put it in the shellholder. Raised the ram and send the bullet into the die. Slowly turn the bullet seating stem so that the bullet stem makes contact with the bullet nose. As soon as the bullet stem touches the nose of the bullet, stop turning down the bullet stem.

At this stage, your seating die is adjusted. We are now ready to load.

Next: Using the Scale

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Using the scale:

Zero your scale according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer. I suggest that you use an electronic scale. If you have an electronic powder measure, this will be a big help. But you can also use a manual powder measure or even Lee Powder scoops.

Suppose you have a powder measure. Suppose you are going to load my load--23.7 grains of Benchmark. You would set your powder measure to throw about 22.0 grains of powder. You would then put the powder onto the pan of your scale and then trickle up to weight using a powder trickler. Of course, you can use Lee Powder scoops to throw a similar weight of powder. And then you would trickle up to weight.

You would then use a powder funnel to pour the powder into the cases. Make sure that you put your cases in a charging block. And load in a distinct pattern. After you load a case, just stick a bullet nose first into the case neck. That way you can tell that the case is charged with powder.

After all your cases are charged, we are ready to seat bullets:

Next seating bullets.

Seating bullets:

Once you have charged cases, you are ready to seat bullets. Take the charged case and remove the bullet that you placed nose first into the caseneck.

Put the case in your shellholder and place the bullet base first into the caseneck. Carefully raise the ram all the way to the top of its travel. Take care not to spill any powder. The case and bullet will enter the seating die and the bullet will seat home. You now have a cartridge.

Continue until all of your primed, charged cases have seated bullets.

Now take note that I am assuming that you are using a non-progressive press. If you are using a progressive press, the principles are similar, but the operation of the press is different. With a progressive press, the powder is dispensed every time you crank the press. And you would use ball powder and not stick powder.

For maximum loading efficiency, a progressive press is a great boon to the home ar$enal. However, don't be discouraged. You can be an ar$enal of one if you have even a simple hand press.

We have one final step--bullet crimping.

Screw the Lee Factory Crimp die into your reloading press. Please follow Lee's instructions. I cannot quite remember them.

But essentially the Lee Factory Crimp die uses a collet type arrangement to crimp the top of the case neck to the heel of the bullet.

Use firm yet gentle pressure to raise the top of your press' ram. You can feel the bullet nose and the neck get pinched together inside the die.

This die leaves the same type of stab crimp that your see on certain factory rounds. After crimping every loaded round, you are ready to test your ammo.

Place each cartridge into the Dillon Headspace guage. Each round will easily chamber inside the guage. This operation will give you the confidence to know that every round will chamber without fail.

Use calipers to measure the overall length of your rounds and make sure that overall length is within the specifications provided in your loading manual.

Inspect each round and use your finger to test the depth of each seated primer. Box all of your ammo and label it clearly. Store all of your ammo in a watertight GI ammo can.

You now have ammo that you could stake your life on. Understand also that your ammo will also prove reliable in any standard .223 chamber as long as you have chosen a reasonable load.

If you choose a bullet without a cannelure, take note that the Lee Factory Crimping tool will securely crimp any bullet. And that's how I load US military brass. Shortly, you should expect to see some pictures.

Mad.

The first four pictures were sent and they should appear here shortly. I plan on loading a few .223s soon and I iwill take pictures of all the tools in use. So stay tuned....

Mad

Here are the pics Mad sent .

Jeff

Now let's talk about the pictures. In the first picture, you can see two dies. The die on the left is the RCBS trim die. It resembles a resizing die that has the top missing. And the die on the right of picture number one is the Dillon headspace guage.

You will notice a loaded round in the box together with the trim die and headspace guage. This round is a US military round and I use this cartridge as a reference aid. I placed the round in the headspace guage and I made sure that all resized rounds fit inside the headspace guage in the same manner as my reference cartridge.

In picture no. 2, you can see the RCBS precision mic tool. This handy tool enables you to accurately measure cartridge headspace and to put numbers on your loads. This tool is not really needed, but I bought one anyway. The Dillon headspace guage is all you really need in order to properly adjust your sizing die.

In picture no 3, you can see the Dillon primer pocket swaging tool. You can see the metal arm that supports the cartridge case. Once the cartridge case is in place, you simply lower the metal arm so that the primer pocket is in front of the swager. And when you lower the operating handle, the swager enters the primer pocket and presses against the cartridge case in the direction of the hardened steel arm.

In picture no 4, you can see my loading dies. The first die is the bullet seating die, the second die is the resizing die and the third die is the Lee Factory Crimp die.

Now that you can see some of the tools, I will load up a few rounds and I will take pictures so that you can see how the various tools are used.

Mad.

More Mad pics.

Jeff

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads