The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo. - Page 2

The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo.

This is a discussion on The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo. within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Will do Fluffy, I am still searching for some IMR 4064, I've been to 3 stores so far and all are sold out. :cry: -matt...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo.

Will do Fluffy, I am still searching for some IMR 4064, I've been to 3 stores so far and all are sold out. :cry:

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

What kind of powders are available? Is there any Varget, IMR-4895 or H-4895?

I'm sure we can get something going with those powders. Let me know. And get that salmon together with some fresh bandages.

Fluffy
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

I have (and am using) some AA2230 that seems to work quite well with the 168 Nosler bullets in Nosler brass. Mad, I understand about ball powder, but I also use this powder in my 223 and 223AI. The objective is to use one powder for several of my cartridges. It seems to work well for me. BTW I've been shooting in 90+ temps with no problems.
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

What kind of groups are you getting with these cartridges?

What are your loads? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mad.

Because we're getting the house ready to move I can't get to most of my reloading data right now. I don't remember the 308 load but the 223AI is 27.3g with the 52g SMK and Rem br primers. It shoots into .28 and is devistating on prarrie dogs and rabbits. I loaded this load using the Dillon RL1050 and loaded until I ran out of components on hand at the time. I'll post something about using the progressives when I have a little more time and am able to get to things.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTheCat
    What kind of powders are available? Is there any Varget, IMR-4895 or H-4895?

I'm sure we can get something going with those powders. Let me know. And get that salmon together with some fresh bandages.

Fluffy
    I picked up a pound of H-4895 and a 50-round box of Nosler custom brass ($38.95/50) at Sportsman's Warehouse on the advice of a gentleman who works there, and oddly enough is quite knowledgeable on these things. I also picked some more Sierra bullets before they hit another price hike soon. The load I have will be a red-headed stepchild of mad's load since the powder and primers are of a different breed, but dimensionally they will be the same. It will be interesting to see the differences, but I will post my results with this load here in this thread, and if folks are having any difficulty finding components for your suggested load, this may be a second-choice alternative. I will advise when I have made progress.

The man at the store shared another good tidbit with me while I was at the store. He said that they nearly had to beat it out of a Federal representative, but the powder in Federal GMM is actually IMR-4064. With this tidbit of information along with your other information mad, one could dissassemble a GMM round and reproduce it nearly 100% correct, and actually better considering the use of more consistent brass. This is good news for everyone and can save us a lot of money.

Fluffy,
    The salmon is on ice until I can pick up dry ice for shipping it. The antiseptic and gauze are already on their way.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Stay tuned for details.

Monteboy:

The information about the Federal load is fantastic. If anynone has a few of these rounds, I'd be interested to see a few of these rounds disassembled.

Now I am sure that H-4895 will work just about as well. The type of propellant is less important than the bullet or brass. As long as we have propellant of an appropriate burn rate, we will be just fine.

Looking at my Hodgdon book the maximum load for the 168 grain bullet is about 42.0 grains of H-4895. This charge produces about 2679 fps at a pressure of 49,200 Copper Units of Pressure. The starting load is 38.5 grains and this produces 40,200 CUP.

Now would you please develope this load and load towards 41.0 grains of powder. I think that 41.0 grains should produce a good stiff load that would likely be safe in everything. I would like your loads to be able to work in everyone else's .308. So if you would load towards 41.0 grains, I would be thrilled.

And pressures permitting, I want to see the results of several groups fired with 41.0 grains of H-4895.

So in summary, Monteboy plans to load the 168 grain Matchking in Nosler brass with Remington primers. The overall cartridge length will be 2.800" and he will load around 41.0 grains of H-4895.

I'm predicting sub MOA. And all of this waiting is driving me

Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by madgunsmith
    So in summary, Monteboy plans to load the 168 grain Matchking in Nosler brass with Remington primers. The overall cartridge length will be 2.800" and he will load around 41.0 grains of H-4895.

I'm predicting sub MOA.

Sounds good. I'm hoping for some promising results out of this. I'll be using my Model 70 Stealth II (which has been bedded and had the trigger tuned up) for the group testing, this rifle shot sub-1/2 MOA out to 250 yards with GMM. Groups will be fired this weekend as I should have loads brewed tonight.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Stay tuned for details.

I have brass in the tumbler right now, Hornady .308 match brass, CCI primers, IMR-4064, and SMK 168's. My OAL are going to be long as I seat the bullets pretty far out to be just a bit off the lands. I'm going to load a group of 2.800 OAL's to see how they perform. If they perform well, that'll be nice because then I can start using the magazine since my normal rounds are too long to fit in the magazine.

According to IMR's website, 41.5 @ 2518 is the starting load, and 45.9 @ 2766 is the max. I took apart some of my old rounds and found 45.0 grains in there. Some of my old load data i've found states that my accuracy load was 44.5 grains. I believe at that time I was shooting for 2700fps, however I don't have a chrono so I don't know. If any of you are in the Kansas City area and would like to go shooting sometime, and let me shoot some rounds through the chrono that would be nice. However for the time being i'm going to find (once again) my accuracy load that i'm going to shoot for everything, and then chronograph it so I can print out my ballistic charts for long range shooting.

What are y'alls thoughts, start at 43.0 grains and do 1/2 grain increments up to 44.5 with a consistant OAL? I only have 25 cases of the Hornady match cases, lots of Winchester brass, and 100pcs of brand new purdy nickel federal premium cases. I think that if I shoot consistant 1/2MOA groups on my Savage 10 tactical, Choate USS, Leup VXIII LR M3 i'll be happy. I've done better before, but that's been a while, I need to buy a few hundred cases of premium brass and weight sort them into large enough batches to have several groups of identical (in every way) reloads.

After I go to the range on Sunday i'll post up my findings. Probly won't be as impressive as some other folks on here, but i'll post it none-the-less.

Branden
    Once you go FDAC, you'll never go back!

-Me

Thanks very much for the writeup Mad. I just ordered about 2500 rounds worth of supplies, so when they come in, I'll be rolling up some Fed GMM clones and report the results.

Mike

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Ads