The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo.

This is a discussion on The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo. within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello again rifle fans: Let's talk about sniper ammo. What's the easiest and quickest way to produce sniper-grade ammo at home? Cheat. That's right. We ...

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo.

Hello again rifle fans:

Let's talk about sniper ammo. What's the easiest and quickest way to produce sniper-grade ammo at home?

Cheat. That's right. We should cheat by simply copying Federal's Gold Medal Match load.

We know that Federal uses Sierra bullets, so without further ado, we reach for the Sinclair International catalogue.The 168 grain Sierra MatchKing appears on page 58. It is item no 2200 and sells for $26.75 per box of 100.

So we buy the Sierra bullets and while looking through the catalogue we see on page 20 that Sinclair has Federal large match rifle primers for sale. The item number is 210M and the price is $30.75 for a carton of primers.

We now have the exact bullet and exact primer that Federal uses in their match load. So let's look further through the catalogue and look for brass.

On page 61, Sinclair has Norma, Lapua and Nosler Custom brass. These three types of brass are better than the brass used by Federal. The Nosler Custom brass is weight-sorted to within .5 grains. The Norma brass features drilled flash holes and the Lapua is also fantastic stuff. So pick Norma, Lapua or Nosler. You cannot go wrong. I would pick Lapua .308 brass because it seems to be the best value. It costs $51.80 for 100 cases. The part no is #BR308-L.

This brass is so good that no brass preparation will be needed. Simply prime, charge and seat bullets. It's that easy.

For powder, use IMR-4064. This powder was used for years by the US military for match and sniper ammo. So let's keep it simple and stick to a known reliable standard. According to my Hodgdon manual the starting load for the 168 grain bullet in .308 Winchester is 41.0 grains of IMR-4064. The maximum load is 43 grains. I bet that something about 42 grains would be right.

We assemble the cartridge with these premium ingredients and we seat the bullet to the same length as the Federal factory load. And Bob's your Uncle and Fanny's your aunt. Sub-minute of angle accuracy.

It's that simple. I guarantee you that this easy-to assemble load will be at least as good as Federal's Gold Medal Match round. I think it might even be a better load because we're using better brass.

Anyway, let's get loading. You should contact Sinclair International

http://www.sinclairintl.com The telephone number is 800-717-8211

And buy enough components to load at least 500 rounds. After testing 20 rounds or so, you should store the rest in a properly labelled container. You need at least 500 to 1000 sniper grade rounds for your precision rifle. Get the ammo now while you can. Remember, the Democrats are coming.

Mad.
    tavm and Bruce25 like this.

And buy enough components to load at least 500 rounds. After testing 20 rounds or so, you should store the rest in a properly labelled container. You need at least 500 to 1000 sniper grade rounds for your precision rifle. Get the ammo now while you can. Remember, the Democrats are coming.
    Slacker .

And yes the Libtards are comeing .

I said, "at least".

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Sponsors
    I'll have to give this load a try

MEL

Re: The Home Armory: Loading Sniper Grade Ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by madgunsmith
    we see on page 20 that Sinclair has Federal large match rifle primers for sale. The item number is 210M and the price is $30.75 for a carton of primers.
    mad,
    Fluffy told me the other day that the Federal 210M primers have been quite hard to come by lately. I have had some luck with Remington 9-1/2 primers in my .308 loads, what are your thoughts on substituting this primer since it is much easier to find??

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

To tell you the truth, I've got a bunch of Winchester primers that I bought back in 2000.

Primers don't make that much of a difference. But I was trying to cheat and reproduce Federal's load.

Did you contact Sinclair's? I would love to know how this load would work out with Remington primers.

I would be very grateful were someone to try this load out for us. I do not have any Federal GM factory loads handy; however, I seem to remember that the overall length is 2.800" . Can anyone confirm this?

Mad

Sponsors
    I have plenty of Fed GMM at home, I'll try to remember to measure it

MEL

I went and took at look at http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html There is lots of great information at 6mmbr, so pay attention. And take note what they say about Federal primers and Lapua brass. I think we are on to something.

And there is a match load listed for the .308 using IMR-4064 and the 168 grain Sierra Match King.

43.5 grains of IMR-4064, F210 Primer, 168 grain Sierra Matchking seated to 2.800". Muzzle velocity is 2600+. The load is reputed to be very accurate.

This load might be a little warm. But 42.0 grains should work. But I was correct about the seating depth. Use 2.800" for the Cartridge Overall Length.

Now will someone please load up some .308. Fluffy is getting impatient and my bleeding scratch wounds are killing me.
    Mad.

mad,

I have a fresh carton of Remington 9-1/2's and a box of Sierra 168's that I'd like to dive into, and will pick up some Lapua brass and IMR 4064 this weekend to brew some of this up. I am getting the itch to do some shooting, so I will do my best with this load and let you know how it goes. Sportsman's Warehouse is close to Petsmart, so I'll put some catnip in the mail for Fluffy, along with some antiseptic for your wounds.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

I don't want catnip. I'm not a common tabby. I want some Excelsior brand Scottish smoked salmon.

And hurry up Buster. I am not used to waiting. I want a full report on your loads together with pictures. The way I see it, if you can produce accurate loads, then anyone can do it.

Fluffy.
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Ads