Home Armory: Sniper handload tests.

This is a discussion on Home Armory: Sniper handload tests. within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Thre results are coming in and perhaps it is a good idea to post them in one convenient thread: Dust_Remover: (Branden) 43.0 grains IMR-4064, 168 ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Home Armory: Sniper handload tests.

Thre results are coming in and perhaps it is a good idea to post them in one convenient thread:

Dust_Remover: (Branden)

43.0 grains IMR-4064, 168 grain Sierra MK, 2.800" COL, Hornady match brass: .75 MOA

43.5 grains IMR-4064, 168 grain Sierra MK, 2.800" COL, Hornady match brass: .5 MOA

Rob01

41.5 grains IMR-4895, 168 grain Sierra MK, 2.800" COL, Winchester case, sub .5 MOA Muzzle velocity: 2655 fps.

Initial results are in and they are very promising!!

LOAD: 41.0 grains H-4895, 168 grain Sierra MK, 2.800" COL, Nosler Custom brass, Remington 9-1/2 primers.

TEST RIFLES:
    Winchester M70 Stealth II, 26" barrel, bedded, tuned trigger, Nikon 4.5-14

Ruger 77 Varmint, 22" barrel, Ramline stock, tuned trigger, Cabela's 6-18

Ok here are some target pictures, sorry for the poor quality:

This is the first 5-shot group shot with my Winchester:

The top right shot was my cold-bore shot, with the remaining 4 falling into the raggedy hole below.
    Measuring it up, the 4-shot bunch measures a nice .710" extreme spread, which puts it in at a very nice .402" grouping :shock: Even including the cold-bore flyer, this load performed well giving a 1.340" extreme spread, which gives us a 1.032" grouping. My first loading of this load gave minute of angle performance out of a cold bore, I couldn't be happier.

Here is the only 5-shot group fired with my cousin's Ruger 77:

It's a bad picture, but the load also performed well in his rifle, with a cold-bore flyer to the top-right. The 4-shot hole to the lower left measures an extreme spread of .540", giving us a grouping of .232" :shock: Equally as impressive is the grouping of the 5-shot group as a whole which from a 1.000" extreme spread gives a grouping of .692" .

Our shooting was cut short by bad storms up here, but I got a great impression of the potential of this load. Since there are no signs whatsoever I may work up my load to 41.5gr like Rob01's load which worked well for him. Bottom line is that I am VERY happy with this combination and will be loading a great many loads using this same combination for in my rifle and in my cousin's which seems to like the taste of it as well.

I also picked up some IMR 4064 today after work and will be loading up some rounds with that tomorrow, I will advise when I have some results on how it performs for me. Also, the Remington 9-1/2 primers worked well for me which is promising since the Federal 210M's are few and far-between here lately.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

-Fresh Winchester Brass
    -Winny Large Rifle Primers
    -168 amax/ CT Ballistic Tip
    -44gr RE-15
    -2.8" OAL

.5-.75moa from custom losok 700

dom
    "A rifle is like a human. The stock is the skeleton, the scope is the eyes, the action is the brain, and the barrel is the heart.
    But you, the man behind the rifle, you are the soul."

-"Practice is a worn out snap-cap." -Yours truly

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Rob01 sent me his match loads using the 175 Sierra MatchKing and the 178 grain AMAX. Now both these loads are qute warm. So do not copy them without first reducting the charge by several grains and then working your way up using safe reloading practises.

Load 1.
    175 grain Sierra Match King
    Black Hills (Win) brass
    45.0 grains Varget
    2.810" Overall length
    210M primer

Load 2
    178 grain AMAX
    Black Hills (Win) brass
    45.2 grains Varget
    210M primer
    loaded .005 off the lands.

NOTE: DO NOT LOAD .005 OFF THE LANDS UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED HANDLOADER AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. LOAD NO 2 IS A HIGH PRECISION LOAD THAT REQUIRES SPECIALIZED TOOLS NEEDED TO MEASURE THE THROAT OF YOUR CHAMBER. (SUCH TOOLS ARE IN THE SINCLAIR CATALOG.

The 175 grain bullet is a better long range performer than the 168 grain bullet. But the Federal Match 168 grain load is such a known standard that I thought we should copy it. In addition, the 168 grain Sierra bullet is available almost everywhere.

But Rob's loads represent the cutting edge of current match rifle loads. And that's why they are gratefully posted here.

Mad.

Here's a pic of a 100 yard 5 shot group with the 178 load.

thanks for mentioning yardage Rob01, I think that should be a standard component of the report. Groupings of ten @ 300, 500, or 700yds mean a lot more to me than a three shot group at 100 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by stiffler
    Groupings of ten @ 300, 500, or 700yds mean a lot more to me than a three shot group at 100 yds.
    Correct, but as a standard 100 yards is all a lot of people have access to at their range and it usually gives a pretty good indication of the quality of the load. Longer ranges are better, but 100 yards is adequate. I shoot 5-shot groups for load testing, sometimes 10-shot groups, it depends on how much of that load I have available at the time.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Stay tuned for details.

Sponsors
    Actually, 100 yards/meters is probably a better test as there is minimal effect of environment variables like wind. When you go longer ranges, you don't know if its the ammo not performing well, or the wind, humidity, temperature, etc.

MEL

Quote Originally Posted by mele
    Actually, 100 yards/meters is probably a better test as there is minimal effect of environment variables like wind. When you go longer ranges, you don't know if its the ammo not performing well, or the wind, humidity, temperature, etc.

MEL
    That's very true, I never thought of that :idea:

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Stay tuned for details.

yep, you're right.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ads