Loading for the AR-15

Loading for the AR-15

This is a discussion on Loading for the AR-15 within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Now listen up and pay attention. I am about to share some extremely important imformation with you. This information is absolutely vital if you have ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Loading for the AR-15

Loading for the AR-15

Now listen up and pay attention. I am about to share some extremely important imformation with you. This information is absolutely vital if you have an AR-15. Now pay close attention and don't ask me any stupid questions otherwise I may bite your ankles.

First of all the AR-15 was a fantastic rifle when originally designed by Mr. Stoner. All the problems along the way were cause by slack-jawed, dopey schmoes who monkeyed around with a great design. So listen to me and let me tell you how to deschmoe your AR-15.

The AR-15 was originally desgned around IMR-3031 powder. This was the propellant originally used by Bob Hutton, the guy who invented the .223. Mr. Hutton was a friend of Eugene Stoner and that's how Hutton got involved designing the round. Mr. Hutton was also the Handloading Editor of Guns & Ammo magazine.

Automatic weapons are resonant mechanisms and the AR-15 was tuned for IMR-3031. The IMR-3031 burn rate was used to calculate the mass of the bolt and carrier together with the mass of the buffer.

Original .223 ammo was loaed with IMR-4475 which was a mass-production version of IMR-3031. And when used with IMR-4475, the AR-15 was superbly reliable. In July 1962, the AR-15 was tested in Vietnam and 80,000 rounds were fired. Over the course of firing 80,000 rounds there were no parts breakeages. A report titled "Test of ArmaLite Rifle, AR-15" was published. The report concluded that the AR-15 was "the best all-round shoulder weapon in existence"

The rifle was perfect until a change was made in the AR-15's propellant. The powder was changed from IMR-4475 to a ball powder, WC-846. Now this ball powder ruined the rifle. WC-846 contained calcium carbonate which caused fouling in the AR-15's gas-tube. Even worse, this ball powder burned at a slower rate.

Using a slower burning powder in the AR-15 created the following serious problems:

1. A higher residual chamber pressure. This created a tendency for the fired cartridge to stick in the chamber;

2. The higher residual pressure causes higher bolt velocity. The bolt wants to unlock right NOW and when combined with a sticky case, the extractor can yank the rim right off the cartridge case. This can lead to the most disasterous jam possible. Higher bolt velocity also leads to increased wear and parts started to break. As a result, Mr. Stoner's wonder-weapon became a rotten piece of Clinton.

To solve the ball powder fiasco, the Army decided to treat the symptoms and not the desease. The army tried to slow down the bolt carrier by using a new, heavier buffer. The sticky chamber problem was solved by the use of chrome plating. But the Army continued to use slower-burning ball powders.

Now if you want to deschmoe your AR-15 and to enjoy original 1962 reliability, USE THE RIGHT POWDER. USE IMR-3031 OR BENCHMARK! Don't use ball powder and don't be a schmoe!!

Read the tacked thread about loading .223 ammunition and follow all the advice contained therein. If you use this information and load your ammo with the right powder, your rifle will perk nicely.

If you use a carbine version of the AR-15, make sure that you use the right buffer. If you are using a telestock, use a 9mm buffer. The 9mm buffer is slightly heavier than a rifle buffer. Use the 9mm buffer to slow down your bolt velocity. Or you can use a fixed rifle stock and buffer.

If you have an AR-15 carbine, install a Defender D-ring around your extractor. The AR-15 carbine has a higher gas-port pressure than Stoner originally intended. And the bolt velocity is higher too. With the higher bolt velocity, the extractor is stressed and you need stronger extractor tension in order to maintain reliability. AND USE THE RIGHT POWDER!!

The Defender D-Ring offers cheap insurance for AR-15 rifles too. And as you tune your load, check the extraction pattern of your rifle. Make sure that the rounds are extracted and ejected about 8 to 10 feet from your rifle. If you use Benchmark or IMR-3031 you will find that you can achieve a remarkeable uniform ejection pattern and all of your fired cases will land in one pile. This is a very good thing. Now go to the tacked "Loading .223 ammo" thread and read it carefully.

The Defender D-ring is available from Brownells. It costs $12.95

Check out http://www.brownells.com. The Defender D-Ring can be found as part no. 741-015-003.

(The Defender D-Ring was designed by Mack Gwinn and L. James Sullivan. Take note that Mr. Sullivan was the engineer who assisted Mr. Stoner in the original AR-15 design)

So don't be a schmoe. Just listen to me.

Fluffy.
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Are you suggesting that we use the right powder?

No, I am suggesting that you stop picking your ears. Women do not find waxy fingers to be attractive.

You should also wear fresh underwear. A daily change of underwear is not an unecessary extravagance. You should also trim your protruding nose hairs. Trust me on this.

Fluffy

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Stop picking ears....check
    Trim nose hairs......check
    Clean underwear......oops

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedmac
    Stop picking ears....check
    Trim nose hairs......check
    Clean underwear......oops
    Shootin 2/3 ain't bad if your AR runs well.

I am dyslexia of Borg, futility is resistant, your &#* will be laminated.

The People's Moderator!

Hidden Content

I've heard great things about RL15 in the AR15.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Well, Fluffy, I'm no rifle-fiddling expert, but you're making me want to tune-up my Bushmaster 16" Carbine!

Here is the direct link to the Defender D-Ring you mention. Not sure what to do with it, myself.

D-Ring

I don't know the exact model number of my carbine, but it's a plain-vanilla model. A3 flattop, fixed A2 stock, 16" heavy contour barrel, no M4 cuts. runs like a scalded dog.

Do I need a new buffer for it if I use your load and recommended powder? I'll try to figure out the D-Ring thing, and load per your instructions. I'll order dies as soon as I get my pet .45 ACP load settled down where I want it. Then it will be on to my 4th caliber reloading experience!

Fluffy's Padawan

The standard carbine buffer is substantially lighter than a rifle buffer. On the other hand the 9mm buffer is slightly heavier than a standard rifle buffer.

If you use a 9mm carbine buffer, the rifle is tricked into thinking that it has a rifle buffer. The heavier buffer will slow down the bolt veloicty and this will lead to longer parts life and enhanced reliability.

The standard carbine buffer will work with the Benchmark load. But a heavier buffer is better for your carbine.

Mad.

Dear Tyler:

Reloader 15 is much too slow
    So just listen to me
    And don't be a schmoe
    You need something like 3031
    So just listen to me
    And you will have fun.

Fluffy

Quote Originally Posted by madgunsmith
    The standard carbine buffer is substantially lighter than a rifle buffer. On the other hand the 9mm buffer is slightly heavier than a standard rifle buffer.

If you use a 9mm carbine buffer, the rifle is tricked into thinking that it has a rifle buffer. The heavier buffer will slow down the bolt veloicty and this will lead to longer parts life and enhanced reliability.

The standard carbine buffer will work with the Benchmark load. But a heavier buffer is better for your carbine.

Mad.
    Um. I'm still confuzzled. Can you point me to a specific buffer I should get if I use your load? Sorry for being slow. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how the buffer figures into the operation of the rifle.

The load you suggest is a good anti-personnel load, yes? I tried reading the ammo-oracle at AR-15. com ages ago, but it made my hair hurt. I'm not loading for hunting. I'm loading for zombies.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ads