Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Reloading subsonic .223 for the AR-15

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  trapperjack1 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever reloaded subsonic rounds for the AR-15 that won't cycle the action? I have a buddy with a suppressor who wants me to make him some, and I am trying to figure out were to start. I was thinking along the lines of a 40 or 55 grain bullet with a minimal powder charge of a fast burning powder. I'm thinking that that will allow the bullet to reach the gas port as the power curve is dropping, and thus hopefully keep the action from cycling.

thanks for any help,

Josh

#3 ·
+1 to what Erik said.

Too little powder causes poor/inconsistent ignition. Rarely, with a small enough charge, the powder will smolder and then detonate rather than burn. This will destroy the firearm.

Trailboss powder takes up a huge amount of volume for it's weight, meaning your very light powder charges still fill up a good portion of the case giving you more consistent (read: safe) ignition.

Try loading with magnum primers. I have found they give the most consistent ignition and velocities with Trailboss powder.

When loading subsonic .223, start with a HEAVIER powder charge and work DOWN to subsonic, not the other way around. I guarantee you can't load enough trailboss into a .223/5.56 case to cause any pressure problems.

When shooting your new loads, shoot at a paper target WITHOUT the suppressor to ensure the bullet is stable out of the barrel BEFORE attaching the suppressor. Failure to do this can very well result in an unstable bullet impacting the baffles and destroying your friends expensive toy.

When firing with the suppressor, be sure the bullet actually left your barrel!

I've only loaded a few subsonics for my M4 w/ SPR/M4. When I fired the first subsonic round with my silencer attached, I honestly didn't think it had fired until I heard the bullet impact a berm downrange.

My rifle (click for bigger picture)

#4 ·
Hey thanks for the tips guys,

Methinks I'm gunna start with a heavier bullet, and use that trailboss, that sounds like some really good stuff for this application. And yes, I have seen the baffles blown out of a gun before, so I won't be making that mistake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.