Top 5 Reloading Brass

Top 5 Reloading Brass

This is a discussion on Top 5 Reloading Brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What would you guys say are the Top 5 reloading brasses? I'm assuming Lapua is the best, but where do Winchester, Nosler and Remington fall ...

Top 5 Reloading Brass

What would you guys say are the Top 5 reloading brasses? I'm assuming Lapua is the best, but where do Winchester, Nosler and Remington fall in? I dont know if calibers matter, so if this is one of those open ended questions, I apologize.

Re: Top 5 Reloading Brass

After Lapua, I would say that Norma is the next best brass. Nosler has someone else make their brass for them. It was Norma at one point and the brass was excellent. Weights within +- .5 gr. Very consistent wall thickness. Load and go. I've bought Nosler brass since that was not very good. Not sure if Norma is still making it or not, but I returned that brass and haven't gone back to Nosler.

I just bought some Hornady brass for my sons 300WM. Build quality is good and wall thickness is very consistent, but weights are all over the place.

I've had very good luck with Federal 300WM brass. Everyone says it's bad because it's soft, but I have nearly as many loadings on it as my Nosler.

Winchester and Remington are commodity brass and you get what you get. I've seen weights all over the map and inconsistent wall thickness in both. Be prepared to do LOTS of prep.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

I think Norma is at least on a par with Lapua (it is a bit softer but that is OK) next on the list would be once fired FGMM brass, not bad but it is a bit too soft. I don't have much experience with other "good" brass. Of the regular stuff Winchester is my pick, with a bit of prep it can make fine loads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

It really depends on the cartridge. I've had great results with Lapua, Norma, Nosler, Winchester, and Remington. Usually, if Lapua makes it, its good.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

Has everyone seen this thread that Northerner posted re: brass case life expectancy?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37536

I know there are other factors that might play into what you "value" in your brass (amount of prep time needed, consistency, etc)...but the chart is a pretty interesting test on brass LIFE expectancy with a particular rifle/load and full length sized each time.

Ads