new reloader - question about primers

This is a discussion on new reloader - question about primers within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm brand new to reloading and will be working up a load using IMR 4064, 175 gn SMK bullets, and new Winchester brass for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: new reloader - question about primers

I'm brand new to reloading and will be working up a load using IMR 4064, 175 gn SMK bullets, and new Winchester brass for my Rem 700P in .308. I was planning to use Federal match primers but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. So my question is how much of a difference will I see in the load (if any at all for a new long distance shooter/reloader) with the federal match primers vs. something like CCI regular large rifle primers? The price difference isn't that much so I figured I'd go match, but now that I can't find them I'm wondering if I should wait until I find them in stock or get what I can now and start shooting/working up a load. Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst66 View Post
    I'm brand new to reloading and will be working up a load using IMR 4064, 175 gn SMK bullets, and new Winchester brass for my Rem 700P in .308. I was planning to use Federal match primers but can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. So my question is how much of a difference will I see in the load (if any at all for a new long distance shooter/reloader) with the federal match primers vs. something like CCI regular large rifle primers? The price difference isn't that much so I figured I'd go match, but now that I can't find them I'm wondering if I should wait until I find them in stock or get what I can now and start shooting/working up a load. Thanks in advance for the help.
    I'd get what I could now and work up the load. You can always reevaluate when and if the FMPs become available. I have not seen FMPs in a few years here and use whatever I can get.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Primers would be the last thing I'd mess with as a brand new reloader. Get what ever brand you can, and stick with it for a few batches. Ince you've done your powder charges, you've played with seating depth, and have refined your brass prep, if you want to try and squeeze that last drop of accuracy from the load, then try different primers.

For what it's worth, I'm using Winchester Large Rifle
    scrmblr1982cj8 likes this.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Primers would be the last thing I'd mess with as a brand new reloader. Get what ever brand you can, and stick with it for a few batches. Ince you've done your powder charges, you've played with seating depth, and have refined your brass prep, if you want to try and squeeze that last drop of accuracy from the load, then try different primers.

Same here, that is all I have seen in the last few years until recently, some Wolf have become available lately.
    All my recent .308 loads have been with WLR and I can't complain of the results.

Thanks guys. That's what my thinking was but thought I'd check with you more experienced shooters.

Buy whatever you can find, in units of 1000.

When you run out, you can buy whatever you like that is available at that point in time, in units of 1000, or 10,000.

Cci, federal, and winchester are all good. I have used them all. Buy what you can find. If you are just reloading for 308 then you do not need a magnum primer so I would recommend you just get non-magnum of whichever brand you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post

Which are basically "Magnum" primers designed to light off Winchester Ball powders.

Shooters will see the largest changes when switching from or to Win primers than they will when playing with all the rest of the standard primers.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    Which are basically "Magnum" primers designed to light off Winchester Ball powders.

Shooters will see the largest changes when switching from or to Win primers than they will when playing with all the rest of the standard primers.
    Maybe that's why my nodes are always on the low end.
    -I redefined trust between my wife and I. I bought her a gun, taught her to shoot, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads