Hornady ELD-X out of a Remington 700 .308

This is a discussion on Hornady ELD-X out of a Remington 700 .308 within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am curious to hear if anyone is loading the ELD-X 178 grain in a Remington 700. I started this mind numbing journey a couple ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I am curious to hear if anyone is loading the ELD-X 178 grain in a Remington 700. I started this mind numbing journey a couple of weeks ago. I am using CFE 223 @ 45 grains--COAL is 2.800--BTO is 2.133. After various attempts with Varget (which done well with 185 VLD), I could not get any better than 2 MOA at 100 yards. Finally, (again, after several attempts) I shot a 3 shot group of 0.605 with the CFE 223. The extremely long throat along with the length of magazine capacity make it a little difficult to go much above SAMMI length. I am curious what others are doing with the ELD-X 178's in the Rem. .308.Thoughts?

I am so glad that I am not the only that had trouble with the ELDXs. I have the Rem. 700 and I was using 42 gr. of Varget. I could never get it to group very well. I did not know you could use CFE 223 for a 308. I knew that BLC-2 can be used but I always used that for lighter 308 rounds.
    The ELDXs and ELDMs shoot fine in my 300.

I have a Remington 700p LTR with 20 inch heavy bbl. It shoots well with 155 to 168 grain bullets but I have to play with it to shoot the 178 grain A-Max loads. Had not been able to get the new ELD-X bullets at all to try them. My rifle has a 1:12 twist rate, and when I went to CFE223 with the 178 gr A-Max bullets, it shot cloverleaf sized groups consistently as long as the wind didnt mess with it. I used a fairly hot load of this powder before I got the groups I wanted, and have wondered if anybody with a .308 with an aftrmarket bbl with a lot less freebore jump than mine, had obtained desirable results by fine tuning the seating depth. I was not interested in seating out so far that the rounds would not work in my action so have been basically using the COAL in the Hornday manual or very close to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I have been very impressed with the CFE 223 in my .308 with the ELD-x's. I haven't heard of anyone loading the 178's in the .308 and I was hoping to get some other options and advice with this combination. We'll see. I am going to try to extend my COAL by .005 and shoot another 3 shots to see if that tightens it up any.

Quote Originally Posted by blwebster View Post
    I have a Remington 700p LTR with 20 inch heavy bbl. It shoots well with 155 to 168 grain bullets but I have to play with it to shoot the 178 grain A-Max loads. Had not been able to get the new ELD-X bullets at all to try them. My rifle has a 1:12 twist rate, and when I went to CFE223 with the 178 gr A-Max bullets, it shot cloverleaf sized groups consistently as long as the wind didnt mess with it. I used a fairly hot load of this powder before I got the groups I wanted, and have wondered if anybody with a .308 with an aftrmarket bbl with a lot less freebore jump than mine, had obtained desirable results by fine tuning the seating depth. I was not interested in seating out so far that the rounds would not work in my action so have been basically using the COAL in the Hornday manual or very close to it.
    I have ordered 2 boxes that arrived relatively quickly through gunwerks. I had backorders from Midway and Cabela's since November. I finally canceled those when I received the email from gunwerks.

You are lucky in the USA. As far as I know no eld-x bullets are available from local or online stores here in BC or Alberta, Canada so far.
    one company had some 208 grain bullets but they disappeared fast and are too heavy for my .308 anyway. We are not able to buy bullets or ammo through
    US retail outlets in Canada

UPDATE!!!
    I loaded 4 rounds with 44.8 grains of CFE 223, set my die to 2.133 BTO which equates to standard SAMMI OAL and shot 3 shots which grouped 0.584" center to center.
    I also loaded 4 rounds with same powder at 44.8 grains then set my die to 2.170 BTO. The 4 shot group was 7/8" center to center.
    To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have this kind of accuracy with two BTO's nearly 400ths different. Regardless, I am going with the 2.133 BTO because the last 2 shots hit the same hole.

I found some 175 grain 7mm ELD-X bullets yesterday and plan to load them in my 7mm Remington Magnum. It liked the 162 grain A-Max as well as the SST bullets however both of those have their issues when it comes to hunting moose and elk, so I am hoping these noew bullets work out.

I have for years used Speer 160 grain Hotcor loads in this rifle. Have always dropped what I shot with no issues, had under 1 moa accuracy and great weight retention from 75 to 85 % consistently. Not too great as far as shooting any animal out far or in windy situations but for most hunting worked just fine. Hoping these new ones can do it all for me.

Still have yet to locate some 178 gran .30 caliber ELD-X bullets for the .308 I have.

I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the .308 178gr bullets but I'm having some decent results from the 200gr ELD-X using 45gr PowerPro 2000mr out of my Rem 700 aac-sd 20" 1:10 twist.
    I swore an oath that "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" I stand by this as it has no expiration date.

Hey guys,

i'm over a year late to the party but i figured i would post my recent findings with the 178 eldx bullet in my 700. maybe it might help someone. I had been using the 178 amax with 43.5 grains of varget shooting just under .800 at 100 yards. best three shot group i ever shot with this combination was .5 at 100. anyways I wanted to switch to the new 178 eldx for s's and g's. curiosity killed the cat. so i started the charge weight work up process.

gun used: remington 700 adl varmint in .308, 26" 1 in 12 twist barrel
    stock: camo stock that it came with from dicks
    trigger: stock remington trigger
    scope: swfa ss 10x42
    powder: varget @43.9 grn
    Primer: cci 200
    case: Federal
    bullet: 178 eldx
    C.O.A.L: 2.800

Like i said above i had already worked up a charge weight for the 178 grain amax and had settled on 43.5 grains of varget. Naively i thought i might be lucky enough to just swap projectiles in this recipe and get the same result... i knew i wouldn't but hoped i was the exception to the rule, anyways.... no dice... didn't group anything close to what my amax's did. so i worked up a powder charge from 42 grains up to 45 grains in .5grn increments. 42 showed promise at .800" three shot group, everything else was 1.25" and higher, but i wasn't satisfied so i did more research. unfortunately i dont know where i read it but some dude on another forum said he found an accuracy node in his gun at 43.9 grn varget. so i loaded up another charge weight test starting at 42.5grn of varget and went up in .2 grn increments up to 44.1. and sure enough i too found another accuracy node tighten things up at 43.9grn of varget, the group measured at .900" three shot group.

i haven't chronoed these loads yet... but i will. with my 178 amax i averaged 2650fps. so i will update my post when i have more accurate numbers. i have loaded up 40 more bullets with 43.9gr varget and will go out and test for groups and chronograph the shots so i can show what i am averaging for fps. hopefully this charge weight will hold moa at 2 and 3 hundred yards. interestingly enough around 44 grains is where i started noticing pressure signs with the 178 amax, some sticky bolt lifts some extractor swipes on the head of the cases. i didn't start seeing these signs with the 178 eldx until i was up around 45 grains varget. (no accuracy node up that high for me).

quick question in case someone picks up on this post.... does anyone think i would benefit from messing with different primers with this recipe? im kinda thinking i might not notice a difference until i get a new stock and a new trigger.

from everything google can find me it seems pretty pointless in a factory Remington to seat the bullet out. so i don't see myself messing with that until i decide to replace the barrel. feel free to correct me if i am wrong in that thinking as well.
    Last edited by Rem .308; 10-18-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads